Dont open a free 'Outlook' email account

davidst01

Just wanted to warn you not to open and use a 'Outlook' email account. I have been locked out of my outlook account and Im a tech savvi. Their software is not robust and unreliable....

Outlook is completely incompetent and I'm glad to have my primary account with gmail. I would strongly recommend against having an Outlook account as it is second rate!!!

• Like 2

Never had a problem so will keep using them. Why should I stop because you say so.I heard a bunch of people got their gmail stuff deleted by Google by mistake, so you should stop using them. All companies have problems. Just because you got locked out has nothing to do with me, so no need to tell me what to do.

Never had a problem, but then again I have 2 Step Authentication enabled

Yep, same here no problems with Outlook or Gmail accounts for that matter.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry

The merging of Office Outlook 2013 and the Outlook website has caused a nightmare for me! Despite a a zillion tries after reading blogs on the subject, I just have not been able to import my contacts from Outlook 2010. Apparently many others have had this problem too. Additionally, messages that I archive simply disappear. Fortunately I have machines running Outlook 2010 so my contacts and archived messages are saved on them. I use gmail on my iPhone and android devices and so have access to every message, even ones that are years old. Love gmail. I don't know what the trouble with Outlook/Outlook 2013 is. I've fussed with PST files, CSV files and UAC but just can never get it to work right. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2013 with no joy. I now advise my friends to stick with Office 2010 and Windows 7. The combination of Windows 8 and Office 2013 seems to be deadly. There are so many glitches and gotchas that I find myself using Android and gmail more and more. My Samsung Windows 8.1 tablet sits unused because it's so complicated to deal with.

I don't have any problem at all, and when I accidentally deleted my mail they restored it within two days.

You were right about the android browser being better than Chrome,

So, I guess you are right this time as well.

But I just do not like it because it is Microsoft.

Also, Yahoo Mail is terrible.

The OP knows what is going on. I have recently had the chance to rigorously compare gmail, yahoo, and outlook, and gmail is the clear winner.

I am not a Google clone or employee, but they simply have the best system—with the best spam filter—and I only keep the other two for work purposes.

And they read all of your email.

• Like 1

My primary is Gmail and I have Yahoo and Hotmail, or did have.

Unfortunately I don't have enough time to wade through the complexity's of my Outlook accounts but when you have Win 8 you need to create one so I did. I'm trying to run Skype through my Win 8 computer but Skypes linked to the the other Outlook/Hotmail account so it's not working. Now I've got to create another Skype account, hopefully I can transfer the credit across, otherwise my Win 7 Netbook will be on the bench until the Skype credit runs out but there is more and I don't have time to explain and I'm sure you wouldn't want to read it.

Well my experience with the change over from Hotmail to Outlook was a nightmare. First off they locked me out due to "unauthorized" use and when I tried to restore it, suddenly they want to know all this personal information about me. Normally I would understand but I never gave them any personal information (other than another email address) when I first signed up for Hotmail many years ago

Why they suddenly need this previously un-needed information has made me highly suspicious so I have just dropped Hotmail as my disposable email address and now use Yahoo

Unfortunately I don't have enough time to wade through the complexity's of my Outlook accounts but when you have Win 8 you need to create one so I did. I'm trying to run Skype through my Win 8 computer but Skypes linked to the the other Outlook/Hotmail account so it's not working. Now I've got to create another Skype account, hopefully I can transfer the credit across, otherwise my Win 7 Netbook will be on the bench until the Skype credit runs out but there is more and I don't have time to explain and I'm sure you wouldn't want to read it.

If you remove and then install Skype in Desktop mode you can choose the account to use ... the app mode isnt that nice really. Need to download the correct version to fix that but it works nice and you will have it as it used to be as a single window ;)

You will also prefer to upgrade to version 8.1 of windows (usually free for most sold version) as that will make some of the desktop and Start menu stuff easier.

Lockheed: Don't try to run Skype for Windows 8. Download and install Skype for Desktop. It will run just fine and you can sign in with your original Skype ID. I've had lots of problems with programs written for the Metro UI, often billed as xxx for Windows 8. I sidestep Metro and just run the desktop with applications either written for Windows 7 or Desktop. I hope that will solve your Skype problems. Besides The Skype for Desktop interface is easily understandable while the Skype for Windows 8 interface is mysterious. Good luck!

If you remove and then install Skype in Desktop mode you can choose the account to use ... the app mode isnt that nice really. Need to download the correct version to fix that but it works nice and you will have it as it used to be as a single window wink.png

You will also prefer to upgrade to version 8.1 of windows (usually free for most sold version) as that will make some of the desktop and Start menu stuff easier.

Thanks, I've got Win 8.1 and the App which is a dud for sure but didn't know you could use the desktop clients which is what I like. The Iphone app is a dud as well because It's hard to set up groups whereas the desktop client is easy but once you get it going then the Iphone app works fine.

Lockheed: Don't try to run Skype for Windows 8. Download and install Skype for Desktop. It will run just fine and you can sign in with your original Skype ID. I've had lots of problems with programs written for the Metro UI, often billed as xxx for Windows 8. I sidestep Metro and just run the desktop with applications either written for Windows 7 or Desktop. I hope that will solve your Skype problems. Besides The Skype for Desktop interface is easily understandable while the Skype for Windows 8 interface is mysterious. Good luck!

Thanks as well.

I am one of the few (missguided) who uses Win8.1 Pro, when I start my Comp I have it set to go directly to Desktop mode. In Desktop mode I cannot open a Outlook account - but in Win8.1 Windows mode it works fine with my old Hotmail account - imported all the old stuff fine.

Skype, I have both versions on my Comp. The Win cannot find any cameras but WinCam finds them ok. The Desktop ver for no reasone the camera stopped working and when i try to chnage the camers settings I get the standard MS message F*** I am going to close the app. - odd no solution yet.

The OP knows what is going on. I have recently had the chance to rigorously compare gmail, yahoo, and outlook, and gmail is the clear winner.

I am not a Google clone or employee, but they simply have the best system—with the best spam filter—and I only keep the other two for work purposes.

And they read all of your email.

I already had a strange feeling that someone was reading my emails. whistling.gif