Viewing Thai Free Channels on PC via DVB-S Card

angryfarang

Does anyone know what type of card I would need to pick up the free channels from ThaiCom5 ?

I'm building an IPTV solution for a client and they want

Thai Channel 3

Thai Channel 5
Thai Channel 7
Thai Channel 9
Thai PBS
Would an older DVB-S card work, or would I need the new DVB-S2?

Any help would be appreciated.

All those channels stream as mpg-2 on their websites. If you got enough bandwith grab them directly there. ( Saves a lot of hardware) The switch between digital and analogue broadcasting in Thailand is somewhere is progress. It's due 2015/2016 if i'm not mistaken.

Otherwise you'll end up with 5 pci slots for those channels - not so much of an ideal solution.

Edited by JakeBKK

Jake,

Many thanks. I found these. Just need the other two.

Thai Channel 5
Thai Channel 9 (MCOT)
Thanks.
Edited by angryfarang

They are free-to-view on Thaicom, not free-to-air, to watch from satellite you need to buy a TrueLife box which comes with a card for a one off payment.

TrueVisons used to be Irdeto II, not sure if the FTV channels changed encryption when the pay channels did.

EDIT According to Lyngsat http://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-5.html True now seem to be using Videoguard, Conax or Irdeto II no breakdown as to which channel is which :(

Can you share more info about your project?

Will you do it by using available software / hardware or buy a complete expensive solution designed for this?

Any plan to implement 1-3 day cache per channel to watch previous broadcast or just direct realtime streaming?

When they start DVB-T in Thailand, it could be much easier (no encryption) and done with only one dvb-t card for all the broadcasted channels.

On Thaicom 5 C band they are all free to view and free to air with NO encryption. Someone is getting confused with the KU band channels which are not free to view and are encrypted.

Any DVB-S or DB-S2 card will do it if you still wish to go down that route. Or take the IPTV streams as there are over 150 Thai channels via IPTV and rebroadcast them via a wowza or flash server or even vlc at a pinch ..

• Like 1

On Thaicom 5 C band they are all free to view and free to air with NO encryption. Someone is getting confused with the KU band channels which are not free to view and are encrypted.

Any DVB-S or DB-S2 card will do it if you still wish to go down that route. Or take the IPTV streams as there are over 150 Thai channels via IPTV and rebroadcast them via a wowza or flash server or even vlc at a pinch ..

I tried C band PSI HD receiver on Ku band dish, despite the warning from sat guy. Thats how I figured out encryption. PSI and other local receivers auto update channel list as well as encryption key.

If C band channels are free to view, thats nice.

Edited by muratremix

I tried C band PSI HD receiver on Ku band dish, despite the warning from sat guy. Thats how I figured out encryption. PSI and other local receivers auto update channel list as well as encryption key.

You what?

You wrote that you used a Ku band dish and LNB for Thaicom C Band?

Impossible, as the Ku single LNB's are on 12ghz and the C Band is on 3-4ghz... See lyngsat for the specs and TP details for that bird .. http://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-5-6A.html

You what?

You wrote that you used a Ku band dish and LNB for Thaicom C Band?

Impossible, as the Ku single LNB's are on 12ghz and the C Band is on 3-4ghz... See lyngsat for the specs and TP details for that bird .. http://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-5-6A.html

Sorry, my mistake again.

I was using ku band psi before and bought psi hd receiver. I set satellite, lnb everything and did a satellite search. It did find channels at Ku band but due to encryption it didn't work out.

So it was ku band sat dish, PSI HD receiver (C band) using Ku band settings and Ku band lnb of course.

Jake,

Many thanks. I found these. Just need the other two.

Thai Channel 5
Thai Channel 9 (MCOT)
Thanks.
I am pretty sure i've seen channel 5 for smartphones, web etc. channel 9 don't know. should be possible as well. as stated above, why would you jump through burning hoops, mess around with encryption, set up a multi bnc satellite dish when there is a chance to simply grab and buffer a stream. than the only issue is to get it properly indexed , the EPG guides do not offer this functionality without some serious tweaking.

IPTV feeds can be unreliable. Hence, I wanted to do it myself. Look at the TOT streams for example which went offline..

However, if I can stream direct from each actually channel station - that'll do fine! smile.png

Channel station streams are very low bitrate, under 500 kbit and low quality. They also require Thai IP address and last time I tried they weren't working out of Thailand.

IPTV feeds can be unreliable. Hence, I wanted to do it myself. Look at the TOT streams for example which went offline..

However, if I can stream direct from each actually channel station - that'll do fine! smile.png

The ToT, 3BB Cloud, GMM, True IPTV services have never gone off-line, but they have never been free to use as they are subscription based services.

Proof of post:

Channel 3 on the ToT service today on Android only, is;

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,003 Channel 3
http://iig02.livem3u8.me.totiptv.com/live/8bad9f20ff2246b894eddced10dcfdeb.m3u8?pt=1&dt=1&ra=1&code=d4d77626c7ee2108633b88a66e3d847f
Edited by joncl

http://iig02.livem3u8.me.totiptv.com/live/8bad9f20ff2246b894eddced10dcfdeb.m3u8?pt=1&dt=1&ra=1&code=d4d77626c7ee2108633b88a66e3d847f

I can open it with vlc.

However this link will die soon (not sure when).

How do you get these links anyway?

it will die about midnight tonight .. but as I said the ToT service never went offline as the OP suggested ..

There are many worldwide forums where you can find stream links of IPTV providers. Mostly these links just work for some months or weeks.

I will not post any of these now because I am not sure if this is legal. But just use google :)

I think your original idea of using the PCI cards is the right way to go, especially if you are doing an IPTV distribution for say a hotel.

And you may not need as many cards as you think..

If more than one channel resides on a single TS (Transport stream or frequency allocation) then you should be able to pick out multiple PIDs (Packet Identifiers) simultaneously using one card.

But I would be cautious about any encryption, if they are encrypted as other members have pointed out then instead you may need to use 5 True boxes with free to air cards and encode the video outs using something like an osprey card, however this would be a lot more resource intensive than converting DVB-S from the satellite to something like DVB-IPTV Multicasting.