Chinese New Year

Mole

This year, the Chinese New Year is on January 29 - January 31.

Anyone knows if there will be any lion dance and other festivities in Mae Nam or elsewhere on the island?

Exactly what dates?

Edited by PoorSucker
Changed dates

I have heard that Maenam CNY celebrations are on Thursday night (Walkjng Street) - but CNY is Friday!

Any info jimmy?

Nathon usually has something going on and I would say this one is Friday???

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you all wai.gif

Well I was waiting to hear back from someone who is involved in this every year.... and did not want to say anything here, until I had word from the dragons mouth!

He told me this afternoon, that he was not sure and that there had been no meetings to set this event up... That surprised me as this a a huge money raising thing every year... for the community ...

Seems to me this time last year, no one knew much either until the last minute .... all I can say is hold onto the Dragon's tail ... if I hear some I'll post it! wai2.gif

Just to add, ...

I cannot see them attempting the dragon parade during the walking street... just not enough room.. with all the vendors blocking the store fronts.... my guess it will be Saturday....

Edited by samuijimmy

I am not showing my staff that one mole! They will be working as normal. beatdeadhorse.gif

Slave driver ! .... I could not imagine you beating your staff like that...tongue.png wink.png

I stopped in to see Gai, at Gai Pharmacy... she usually being a know all about things like this... Says tomorrow the 30th.... on Soi 4 in Maenam.

I just cannot see all the stalls along the street and the Dragons getting in and out of all the stores... no signs of activity other than a few Chinese lanterns on the streets...

Not to mention all the fire crackers going off... as the dragon enters each of the stores...... with so many vendors around... w00t.gif

I will check again tomorrow morning and see, if much happening, but some how I can't see it being the type of event it usually is.... sad.png

Parking will be worse than usual for the Thursday evening Walking street... be prepared to do some walking! facepalm.gif

There's also some festivities going on at the Kuan Yu shrine in Hua Thanon.

The Thai text just says something like "We would like to invite you to worship Lord Kuan Yu and other deities in our shrine."

attachicon.gif2557.JPG

There's also info about festivities in Nathon:

http://www.nathoncity.com/paper/6397

I think the Nathon one might be interesting ....

I always wondered what the place was in Hua Thanon.... that guy looks scarey! w00t.gif

Last word I have from the guy I spoke to yesterday, about Maenam, it will be just the normal walking street.... So hold no hopes of something other than the normal vendors....

Thanks for posting that Mole! thumbsup.gif

Actually its: Guan Yu.

Do you know the story of this guy?

He was one of the great generals of the 3 kingdoms and it was/is said that when he went through a village, it was cleansed of all diseases.

Something like a Jesus figure so to speak...........

Quite a few sets of firecrackers going off since just after 6 am this morning. 5 or 6 sets at least.

I presume that this is part of the festivities?

5 am around me!.... w00t.gif and still going!.... facepalm.gif They are to frighten away evil spirits...

Welcome to the Year of the Horse !

These are pics from the Chinese temple in Nathon.

post-17753-0-55367300-1391080056_thumb.j post-17753-0-54689400-1391080108_thumb.j

According to that table:

30 January 2014

11.00 Big C

18.30-19.00 Napasai Maenam

31 January 2014

9.00-9.30 Anantara Lavana

10.00-10.30 Banyan Tree

14.00 Blue Water

18.00-18.30 "Mik Tawan"

19.00- Walking Street Bo Phut

20.00-20.30 Centara Grand

1 February 2014

20.00 "Zaza" Butterfly Garden

2 February 2014

14.30 Nicky Bar

Other pic

Chinese New Year 2014

26 Jan 2014 Sunday (8.00) Shower of "Kong"

29-30 Jan 2014 (midnight 29-30) Thursday Offerings to "Kong"

31 Jan 2014 Friday Chinese New Year

6 Feb 2014 Thursday (8.30) Procession at Lipa Yai

7 Feb 2014 Friday (18.30) Show at parking lot

8 Feb 2014 Saturday (8.00) Procession around the market

14 Feb 2014 Friday this happens

BEWARE OF FIRE WHEN LIGHTING INCENSE AND CANDLES

I am quite surprised Samui has a Lion Dance.

I live in a village in Hong Kong for 8 years (yes, now in Samui) and we have the Lion Dance that comes door to door.

The deal is, the performers are usually, if not always, Kung <deleted> practitioners, with the lead being the Master of the Kung <deleted> school.

I have not noticed any Kung <deleted> dojo's (nor Japanese for that matter) in Samui except for Muay Thai and Tai Kwan Do.

What gives?

I am quite surprised Samui has a Lion Dance.

I live in a village in Hong Kong for 8 years (yes, now in Samui) and we have the Lion Dance that comes door to door.

The deal is, the performers are usually, if not always, Kung <deleted> practitioners, with the lead being the Master of the Kung <deleted> school.

I have not noticed any Kung <deleted> dojo's (nor Japanese for that matter) in Samui except for Muay Thai and Tai Kwan Do.

What gives?

I was actually more surprised in Sabah State, Borneo Malaysia a couple of years ago, that they were doing these Lion dances several weeks after CNY... It's 60% Catholic faith, there.

Another TV member who's internet is down at the moment, said there was a Loin dance going on in Bophut area last night too.... Perhaps Nathon this evening?

After watching those young guys last night, just doing around the "block" for over and hour.... it's got to be very exhausting .... then many did the show after that .... Phew, facepalm.gif .... I was exhausted just walking and watching and clicking the camera button! biggrin.png

I suppose it shows how strong the "Chinese - Thai community is here,.... wink.png

Well deserved drink of water! clap2.gif

IMG_1064.JPG