I need a new Router - Any recommendations?

roban

well, I've finally bought the Asus DSL-N55U. (4200 Baht)

I've updated the Firmware and yes, it's ok for the money.

Internet speed seems to be good, and there is no need to reboot it because of low speeds...but:

Sometimes I have problems to reach the Web interface. (loads forever), so the thing needs a reboot anyway.

I've installed "transmission" for torrent downloads, that works great.

The "Asus Downloadmaster" is not reliable, so I've disabled it.

However, on my next trip to Germany, I will buy an actual "Fritzbox" and bring it back to TH.

• 1 month later...

well, I've finally bought the Asus DSL-N55U. .....

The router is for sale now, because I need a DUAL-WAN router now.

If interested, please PM me

The latest firmware upgrade for the DSL-N55U (3.0.0.4.374.4422) now gives you a Dual WAN option and you can use one of the four LAN ports as a second WAN port. I haven't tried the Dual WAN yet but I'm considering getting a fibre connection to run alongside my ADSL. The DSL-N55U should make this possible - even, allegedly, does load balancing.

Maybe you don't need a new modem after all.

DM

The latest firmware upgrade for the DSL-N55U (3.0.0.4.374.4422) now gives you a Dual WAN option and you can use one of the four LAN ports as a second WAN port. I haven't tried the Dual WAN yet but I'm considering getting a fibre connection to run alongside my ADSL. The DSL-N55U should make this possible - even, allegedly, does load balancing.

DM

I am aware of this feature.

But it seems, "Dual ADSL" is not possible, so I would need an additional modem/router anyway?

And absolutely no experiences from other users, so to avoid tinkering, a dedicated Dual Wan router seems to be the better solution.

DM

But it seems, "Dual ADSL" is not possible, so I would need an additional modem/router anyway?

And absolutely no experiences from other users, so to avoid tinkering, a dedicated Dual Wan router seems to be the better solution.

That's right - there is only the one ADSL port. You can use one of the LAN ports or one of the USB ports for your second connection but this doesn't help if you want two ADSL connections. As you have implied, if you obtained a separate ADSL modem you could bridge this to provide your second connection via one of the LAN ports. This would likely be more cost effective than trying to source an actual dual DSL modem-router. I would be reluctant to get rid of the DSL-N55U as it is rather a nice device - really user-friendly and I like that!

DM

DM

That's right - there is only the one ADSL port. You can use one of the LAN ports or one of the USB ports for your second connection but this doesn't help if you want two ADSL connections. As you have implied, if you obtained a separate ADSL modem you could bridge this to provide your second connection via one of the LAN ports. This would likely be more cost effective than trying to source an actual dual DSL modem-router. I would be reluctant to get rid of the DSL-N55U as it is rather a nice device - really user-friendly and I like that!

DM

best strategy is to get separate modems and routers - always has been.

best strategy is to get separate modems and routers - always has been.

And load-balancing is done by what, "black magic"?

2 modems - 1 dual wan router.

Agree with manarak on this one. I didn't know there were Dual Wan routers with built in ADSL modems but I wouldn't buy one anyway because then you're stuck with ADSL which is in it's sunset phase.

And with a combined modem/router if the router becomes overwhelmed for a split second it will drop the DSL sync whereas with a separate bridged modem it won't.

For bridged ADSL modem's I've found those cheap DLink's (2750 etc.) to be rock solid in maintaining the DSL sync.