Unusual Animals as pets in Thailand

I have just read a thread about keeping monkeys, which I do not agree with to be honest, and would not consider it. I would, however, consider something far more out of the ordinary than your everyday "English house pet". So, what options are there guys?

I would of posted in that thread but its from 2009 so thought I would start another one

when u have unusual pets then usually there are unusual problems taht it seems many if not most vets in thaialnd at present moment cannot handle unless u go to a univeristy vet school.

finding supplies/medicines/food etc might be a bit more difficult. howver, thais keep very expensive fighting fowl which in other countries are considered more exotic.

monkeys are definately a no no. i speak from experience.

reptiles

thais also keep those big fighting beetles

after running a zoo i cant see the point in keeping anything exotic since it usually ends in grief or high costs.

• Like 1

Cheers guys

How about snakes? Are they a common pet in Thailand (for a falang at least) and how about reptiles, much of a choice?

I have two snakes, I have a brazilian rainbow boa and I also have an african ball python.

Very easy to take care of, the only issue is finding somewhere that sells frozen mice/rats.

I live in chiang mai and there is a reptile pet shop here.

If you don't have access to frozen rats, then I would not really recommend snakes, as live mice rats carry all kinds of parasites and other diseases.

there are other reptiles available, such as bearded dragons and other exotic lizards, but require more work (husbandry skills)

What about a sugar glider? (google it) they are cute and easy to look after.

I also have a bengal cat, which is a domestic cat, but looks like a cross between a leopard and a tiger, bengal cats don't behave like most cats, they are very sociable, highly intelligent and naughty! mine for example loves to play fetch.

• Like 1

My wife is a bit of a tiger, does that count? smile.png

We have geese, guinea fowl and chickens, not really unusual pets (and a population of 100,000 geckos).

mine is like a docile mule... when she is not stubborn or busy kicking my arse unsure.png

• Like 1

I used to keep snakes (small Reticulated Pythons). But it was very difficult to get food. Living in the Sathorn Area, I had to go out to Suan Chatuchak every weekend which was a pain in the butt. There was a small pet shop near me, but after I stupidly told her that they were for the snake, she refused to sell mice to me. But apart from that they are easy to take care for. Be careful with wildfang at Suan Chatuchak ... some species are difficult to 'tame'.

Edited by sniffdog

Chatuchak is teeming with potential strange bedfellows (aka pets).

The ones that come to mind:

Hedgehogs

Chinchillas

Chameleons

Iguana's

Fly river turtles

Indian Star Turtles

Galapagos turtles

Spider monkeys

Assorted gibbons

Sand fox

Amazonian stingrays (polka dots)

and my favorite "Peacocks"

Mind you many of these are on the list of endangered or protected species.

Trying to build the same conditions as their natural habitat is probably what I think is most challenging otherwise it would be akin to animal cruelty.

I'd really like to get a peacock. Most beautiful thing nature has created. Problem is their mating call can be heard several blocks away and sounds like a screaming banshee, literally.

Let us know on what you decide.

• Like 1

I saw a guy next to us at dinner the other night with something in a small plastic cage. Turned out to be 3 Prairie Dogs from the U.S. Wearing harnesses and everything. Looked them up on the internet, and it turns out that's a thing. Not even just here. They are leash trained and everything. About the size of a large cat, and seemed sweet.

The wife took a van up the road yesterday and the driver was playing with his pet squirrel on the dash. She was happy that at least he wasn't on the phone the whole time.

We have a Pygmy hedgehog. They are brilliant pets and quite low maintenance. Easy to feed, they do need a large enclosure ( we have a large tank with lots of hiding places for her. ) they are nocturnal, but will come out during the day for a run about.

I vote my hedgehog as the most boring pet I ever owned.

We have a Pygmy hedgehog. They are brilliant pets and quite low maintenance. Easy to feed, they do need a large enclosure ( we have a large tank with lots of hiding places for her. ) they are nocturnal, but will come out during the day for a run about.

I vote my hedgehog as the most boring pet I ever owned.

You have obviously not owned a tortoise!

Cheers guys

How about snakes? Are they a common pet in Thailand (for a falang at least) and how about reptiles, much of a choice?

My son has ball pythons plus a variety of other animals and is looking at getting others. He also has a monitor lizard of some sort.

There are plenty of reptiles available also. Iguanas, bearded dragons etc.

I used to keep snakes (small Reticulated Pythons). But it was very difficult to get food. Living in the Sathorn Area, I had to go out to Suan Chatuchak every weekend which was a pain in the butt. There was a small pet shop near me, but after I stupidly told her that they were for the snake, she refused to sell mice to me. But apart from that they are easy to take care for. Be careful with wildfang at Suan Chatuchak ... some species are difficult to 'tame'.

My son raises his own mice for his snakes. Not hard to do.

Cheers guys

I have two snakes, I have a brazilian rainbow boa and I also have an african ball python.

Very easy to take care of, the only issue is finding somewhere that sells frozen mice/rats.

I live in chiang mai and there is a reptile pet shop here.

If you don't have access to frozen rats, then I would not really recommend snakes, as live mice rats carry all kinds of parasites and other diseases.

there are other reptiles available, such as bearded dragons and other exotic lizards, but require more work (husbandry skills)

What about a sugar glider? (google it) they are cute and easy to look after.

I also have a bengal cat, which is a domestic cat, but looks like a cross between a leopard and a tiger, bengal cats don't behave like most cats, they are very sociable, highly intelligent and naughty! mine for example loves to play fetch.

Bengal cats are pretty expensive in the USA. Is there any where in Chiang Mai that sells them?

Well in my own country I bred rats for my snakes. However, it was pretty difficult because the adults would eat the babies let alone the smell. I gave up and bought deep freeze from that moment on. Mind though that not all snakes eat deep freeze mice.

In Chatuchak I was offered that animal who you feed coffee beans and it returns them with a much desired coffee ingredient which catches good prices.

Edited by sniffdog

Goats are the most adorable creatures (female goats that is). They are as domesticated as dogs and cats. The were the first domesticated creature and are the orignal man's best friend. You can train them to answer to their names and come when you call them. But for the fact that they piss and shit all day long and chew up your garden, there would be one in every apartment. If you have the land (about one quarter rai per goat) they are a wonderful pet. But, like all pets, they require a commitment.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/domestic-goats-zmaz70ndzgoe.aspx

Goats are the most adorable creatures (female goats that is). They are as domesticated as dogs and cats. The were the first domesticated creature and are the orignal man's best friend. You can train them to answer to their names and come when you call them. But for the fact that they piss and shit all day long and chew up your garden, there would be one in every apartment. If you have the land (about one quarter rai per goat) they are a wonderful pet. But, like all pets, they require a commitment.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/domestic-goats-zmaz70ndzgoe.aspx

My wife brought home a couple of goats a few years back. One of them kept trying to have sex with my Rottweiler until she got tired of it and broke the goats neck.

Well in my own country I bred rats for my snakes. However, it was pretty difficult because the adults would eat the babies let alone the smell. I gave up and bought deep freeze from that moment on. Mind though that not all snakes eat deep freeze mice.

In Chatuchak I was offered that animal who you feed coffee beans and it returns them with a much desired coffee ingredient which catches good prices.

My son had problems with the adults eating the babies but he got that sorted out somehow. I know at first he had several in one container then split them up into several containers. Now he is able to raise enough mice to feed 4 snakes.

My brother in law has one of those civet cats you are referring to. His mom has 40 rai of coffee though so they have plenty of food for it.

i guess the questions here are:

what do u like?

how much space do u have

how much time

how much effort are u willing to invest in doing your own vet stuff/food raising harvesting whatever

what happens if u go away?

do u know anything about zoonoses?

like i said, after having a petting/exotics small zoo, i would stick with dogs, cats, goats, local domestics. i would love to have a buffalo but dont live in thailand or i would already have more then one; also a long eared cow.

raising mice for feeders: best mice are the panda mice... u need several cages for them

peacocks travel far from home and are nasty when in mating season if u have small children that can be injured by an angry male

mini goats are great if u have a small farm; goats can be trained

reptiles need ultra violet lighting, heating, moisture, food, vitamin d calcium/phos supplements and proper diets.

iguanas cannot live on bananas ans lettuce alone and also become large and often nasty tempered and their bites can cause horrible infections.

monkeys should be off the list due to personality/Cites listings and the complexity of raising them, since they live a long time

snakes... some are difficult and some are easy... pythons get nasty with age, i like corn/king snakes... but snakes are delicate and prone to illnesses if not kept properly or are bitten by their prey (the mice)

lizards are even more difficult as to their dietary needs as are tortoises. lettuce is not enough. and dog food is not good for them

u could raise yoru own red ant colony and sell the pupae/ants for a very yummy dish the is gourmet even to village thais

mealyworms (actually not a worm)

silkworms

cichlids are wonderful fish, many kinds, can be trained to simple things like a bell or a flashing light to come to feed etc. (or make it go thru a hoop, i kid u not). but do need water maintanence

fighting fish (the gouramis that thais use, although ugly, are very expensive and then tehir are the pretty bettas)

thai fighting cocks are great chickens; they are intelligent fowl, sturdy, good layers, recognize their owners, and its a huge market for types and blood lines just like thoroughbred horses. we have some, i hadn raised them in my house until they starting crowing and got moved to new quarters, and they recognize me still.

korat cats, a rare breed

thai ridgeback dogs

Haven't verified it myself, but was told that Sugar Gliders (Australian marsupial) are available at Chatuchak markets in BKK. Personally I find this whole animal breeding for profits very distasteful, not to mention cruel. Only a question of time before you can buy a koala and a pet joey in Thailand I suppose.

Edited by giddyup

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted an ant-eater while I was here - the pet trade type, not giant ant-eaters. They are becoming popular pets in the US and come from South America. They are built for the heat, are very affectionate, very intelligent (much more so than a dog), love human company apparently, and cute as h3ll. http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/2008/02/some-more-stewie-and-pua.html

They need a proper diet, but sure wouldn't be any ants or cockroaches at home :)

Only problem is that there seems simple no way of importing them here, and no breeders/sellers here either - so I dropped it :)