Russian tourist, 42, drops dead while chatting with friends

webfact

Russian tourist, 42, drops dead while chatting with friends
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Police have yet to determine why a Russian tourist died suddenly in a Phuket hotel room early yesterday morning.

Timur Ivanov and his two traveling companions were eating fruit and drinking a hot beverage together at a hotel at Bang Tao Beach when he suddenly passed out.

The friends called hotel staff for help, and rescue workers were summoned to the Bangtao Tropical Residence at 1:15am, said Lt Thanapop Rattanaburi of the Cherng Talay Police.

“The rescue workers spent almost an hour trying to revive Mr Ivanov,” he noted.

Police found no signs of struggle and do not suspect foul play, Lt Thanapop said.

However, language problems prevented police from communicating with Mr Ivanov’s friends.

“We are investigating the case and will talk to them again, with a translator,” said Lt Thanapop.

Doctors at Thalang Hospital will establish the cause of death, he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Russian-tourist-42-drops-dead-while-chatting-with-friends-24559.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-02-10

I had an interesting talk with the ambassador of my country in Bangkok. I was told that most people (men) die in 3 days after arriving in LOS. Main reason being dehydrated from excessive drinking that has started while on board of aircraft and continued after arrival. Either the heart or something else gives up.

Drinking alcohol in a tropical climate is bad for you. It dries the body and combined with heat and perhaps some extra cups of coffee (also a dehydrator) can cause life threatening condition.

Everyone arriving to tropics should be aware of this factor.

RIP

On average , the cabin of a modern jet is about 12% humidity, ( less on older ones). You lose about 2 cups of water an hour just sitting still and being relaxed.

Combine going to the airport, waiting, drinking coffee/ tea (that dehydrates you) and 'free' booze (what a great way to start a Thai holiday - that dehydrates you also) then tropical heat when you come form -15'c, you are extremely dehydrated with out doing anything wrong.

I had an interesting talk with the ambassador of my country in Bangkok. I was told that most people (men) die in 3 days after arriving in LOS. Main reason being dehydrated from excessive drinking that has started while on board of aircraft and continued after arrival. Either the heart or something else gives up.

Drinking alcohol in a tropical climate is bad for you. It dries the body and combined with heat and perhaps some extra cups of coffee (also a dehydrator) can cause life threatening condition.

RIP

I agree with you. I drink at least 4 liter of water while in Thailand. When drink also consume lots of water on the side.

RIP

I agree with you. I drink at least 4 liter of water while in Thailand. When drink also consume lots of water on the side.

Well now Mr Farouk, I have been in Thailand 7 years and I have drunk a hell of a lot more than 4 litres.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

RIP

Would that be Scotch neat with a water chaser?

... I was told that most people (men) die in 3 days after arriving in LOS.

That being the case, how do TAT obtain such high figures for tourist arrivals AND departures? I assume that not all the deceased depart on standard flights??

:)

• Like 1