South African plug adaptor - HELP!

Tapster

Hi

We're in Phuket for seven months and can't find an adaptor to convert the South African three-pin mains plug to the Thai two-pin plug.

Can anyone help us, please??post-189147-13921704184943_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Forget it. As already advised cut the plug off and fit a local one. No adapter anywhere in the world can take a South African plug. I have looked in Thailand and on every other continent and failed.

Cut the plug off, strip the wires and the three wires, red, green and brown will go into a three pin plug you can buy in basement of Big C or hardware.

i think by looking at the photo you will find only two wires once you go for the new plug route

the third pin will be a dummy just for unlocking the sockets earthing slide similar to the UK system best idea

renew plug with a three pin Thai plug if your outlets have a three pin configuration or go for the two pin style

Cool!

Thanks, everyone!

We're going shopping today and will look for the power strip as mentioned above. Failing that, I'll just fit a Thai plug. I'm not sure my wife will be overjoyed by the mutilation of her mains lead but at least she'll have a laptop that works!

It seems a South Africa is regarded as something of a third-world backwater! When I wanted to send Rand over to my Kasikorn Bank account recently, they insisted I change to another currency first, goddammit!

Cool!

Thanks, everyone!

We're going shopping today and will look for the power strip as mentioned above. Failing that, I'll just fit a Thai plug. I'm not sure my wife will be overjoyed by the mutilation of her mains lead but at least she'll have a laptop that works!

It seems a South Africa is regarded as something of a third-world backwater! When I wanted to send Rand over to my Kasikorn Bank account recently, they insisted I change to another currency first, goddammit!

You realise that laptops have a two- or three- plug lead from the wall going into an ac to dc converter first (it's the the black box between the laptop and the wall) you can unplug the RSA lead from it you could just buy a Thai-to-black-box lead from Junceylon / Big C. It'll save you destroying your SA plug.

Bought one myself in 2010. Saves the need for plug adaptors and the problems with them falling out of the wall.

@The Oracle

Thanks for that suggestion. I've done that with my own laptop and have UK, SA and the two-pin option which fits Thai plugs and some others.

Unfortunately my wife's lead has a weird kettle-type plug at the transformer end (it's not a normal computer kettle plug) so I've not even tried to get an alternative.

The Final Solution has been a three-pin Thai plug from Home Pro which I'm fitting this morning.

All the available multi-socket options had adaptors but nothing that would take a three-pin SA plug.

So, many thanks everyone. I think we can say that there is no easy way or perhaps no way at all to procure a South African plug adaptor in Phuket!!

:0)