new breed of lemons

meatboy

anyone growing this new breed of thai lemons?we have one tree with 4 fruit on it 2 have been the size of a cantaloupe for over a yr.but are still green and solid,our neighbor says they must be yellow before they are ready to pick.

there is a lot of flowers on it any more fruit and it is goner have to be propped up as we have had to do with the ones on there now so does anyone know when they will be ready for picking.

Probably not an actual lemon - lemons simply don't get that big - but a related citrus. Excluding the obvious (grapefruit, ugli fruit), could it be shangjuan?

I've just tried googling shangjuan, and get no response.

Do you mean the obvious one in Thailand, pomelo, in Thai som'o? The pomelo has leaves indented half-way up (please excuse me if other citrus also have this.... I simply don't know). The green of the skins lightens as it gets ripe, but never gets really yellow.

Probably not an actual lemon - lemons simply don't get that big - but a related citrus. Excluding the obvious (grapefruit, ugli fruit), could it be shangjuan?

Do you mean the obvious one in Thailand, pomelo, in Thai som'o? The pomelo has leaves indented half-way up (please excuse me if other citrus also have this.... I simply don't know). The green of the skins lightens as it gets ripe, but never gets really yellow.

Shangjuan link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangjuan

Whoops. Som-o had slipped my mind.

Perhaps uploading a photograph of the fruit would help clarify things?

thanks guys its not pomelo we have a pomelo tree, its got flowers but no sign of fruit.

the largest one is starting to turn yellow so maybe now we are getting some warmth that might do the trick.

I wonder if I can get an ugli tree? or are they all hansumbiggrin.png

A fruit of "Citrus medica" can be up to 25 cm long and 4 kg heavy.

If it is citron, it won't make good eating. To quote from Wikipedia,

the citron's pulp is dry, containing a small quantity of insipid juice, if any. The main content of a citron fruit is the thick white rind, which adheres to the segments, and cannot be separated from them easily.

The "indented leaves" you refer to is actually called a "winged petiole" . the petiole being the small stem between the branch and the leaf itself.

Winged petioles are a characteristic of all citrus fruit trees and very helpful in identifying trees that are showing no fruit.

The wings on the pomelo are extremely exaggerated and almost look like extra leaves.

The attached illustration shows a petiole on a leaf.

It is not a winged petiole and it is not a citrus.post-147745-0-84106700-1392785367_thumb.

• Like 1