I am thinking about moving to Surin in August, any pointers on average prices for renting houses

Junglebunny

Maybe moving to Surin in August, want to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom house, preferably near Robinsons area, will buy a car there, any estimates of how much cars are and the rental property prices, do they have fully furnished properties for rent in Surin or because out in the province just the house and you buy your own furniture, any suggestions would be grateful

Unlike many other things in Thailand, cars aren't any cheaper in Isaan. But many people here drive pick-ups, which are generally good value compared to saloons/sedans. A new pickup would cost 550k for a basic model up to 800k for a 'top model' with 4 doors (Toyota Vigo pricing). Second hand vehicles hold their value compared with falangland. A 3 year old one with 50,000 kilos on the clock would still cost 400k to 600k and a ten year old could still fetch 200k in decent nick. Finding a good older runner for sub 100,000 baht is easy in the UK, but remarkably difficult here

Next time you are in Surin, just drive around the areas where you may be interested in living and have a look for For Rent or For Sale signs. Speak to the security guards at the housing developments as they would know if anything is available. The same goes if there are any mini marts or salons close by. Check out some of the expat bars as I have seen here in Ubon that some people advertise their places for rent where other farangs congregate. If you have the time to spend searching you will find something eventually. Good Luck

It is fairly rare to find somewhere furnished in Surin or nearby but you have been giving some sensible ideas here.

Times are hard now, so you might find somewhere, where a family is prepared to move out of their home just to get a regular income. Weather the furnishings are anywhere near useful is another story. I would suggest renting a room for a while so that you can familiarise yourself with the area first. There is a new and reasonable place right opposite Corner Cafe, for example.

Good luck and maybe a internet search on Surin and it's farangs might also help. There are loads of good restaurants there too!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by DILLIGAD

Surin isn't much different to Sisaket. Good houses are difficult to find. Better to take some more time and drive around in your preferable area,as houses for rent usually have a sign outside the phone number.

Pretty difficult to find a furnished house, compared to Western Standard. Please also consider that one air conditioning unit will be around 1,000 to 1,500 baht for electricity/month.

Make sure that the place you rent isn't for sale at the same time.

Buying a car is also not that easy to make a decision. Best option are Pick Ups, but 10 -15 year old are still expensive.Some had serious accidents and were "redone" with chassis damage etc...( you better get a second hand car checked, before you buy it)

It's pretty much common here is to set the meter back to let's say 120,000 km, even if the car has already half a million k's on the clock.

Good luck and a good start in Surin.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

Having lived in both places,I'd say Surin is a lot different to Sisaket.

Surin has new housing estates popping up everywhere so finding a sign on a decent older house for rent is like finding Ricking Horse Sh1t.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 1