Just bought classic Yamaha RX-Z...

ClareQuilty

Interesting find I'd like to share - bought a very old Yamaha RX-Z the other day for just 7,000 baht. The bike's in pretty close to new condition, and the engine runs fantastic. Only thing bad is the front shocks are shot - could be original as far as I can tell. They'll need to be redone.

The bike was supposedly owned by an elderly farmer who rarely drove it and kept it in his shed, sort of babying it. Photo:

post-75663-0-28636700-1393095465_thumb.j

Anyone had any experience with these? I've read and heard that they have a kind of cult following in some Asian countries. The bike is very comfortable to ride (unlike my Honda LS 125, which is a true d**k-squasher).

Keep us updated on how you improve this lovely bike.

First thing I would do is change the colour and tyres.

Enjoy.

No, don't do that keep it original, perhaps fat tyres if you want comfort, we did that to our Wave made a big difference.

I too like classic bikes. Groovy!

• Like 2

Keep us updated on how you improve this lovely bike.

First thing I would do is change the colour and tyres.

Enjoy.

No, don't do that keep it original, perhaps fat tyres if you want comfort, we did that to our Wave made a big difference.

I too like classic bikes. Groovy!

agree keep it original

• Like 1

Get a bike mechanic, who know what he is doing with two strokes (read one over fifty years old) to burn the old oil out of the exhaust pipe.

That is the very first thing you should do to improve the performance (and engine life) of the bike. After that is done, make sure that you properly clean and repaint the pipe to avoid corosion.

Be VERY careful who you let work on the bike. Most of the young tin shed mechanics have never even seen a two stroke roadie.

Get a bike mechanic, who know what he is doing with two strokes (read one over fifty years old) to burn the old oil out of the exhaust pipe.

That is the very first thing you should do to improve the performance (and engine life) of the bike. After that is done, make sure that you properly clean and repaint the pipe to avoid corosion.

Be VERY careful who you let work on the bike. Most of the young tin shed mechanics have never even seen a two stroke roadie.

NO NO NO, on no account let any Thai touch your bike, do it all yourself, you will get plenty of help from the guys on this forum.

I don't know if the old guy was still alive. I'll ask next time I'm at the dealer. Someone traded it in apparently, so the old man being dead or incapacitated seems a likely theory.

Don't worry guys, I would never repaint a bike - to me the patina of age and the authenticity of the original is the appeal of a classic. I too love the old monk pics, etc.

If the bike ever needs anything big like an engine rebuild, I'll certainly take it to the old-timey Yamaha dealer in Khon Kaen - the one that has the brand-new-old bikes sitting around for sale.. some of you may remember I recommended those bikes years ago and one of the members here bought one. I can't remember his name, but I believe he can confirm they've good mechanics there.

However for the front shocks and other minor stuff I do have a new mechanic here in Sarakham I've been using lately - an old man who seems very knowledgeable and his young go-getter sidekick. going to take the bike in tomorrow or the next day. (to be fair, the shocks aren't all that bad, the bike's perfectly drivable as it is, I just think this one's worth making 'perfect').

Another pic.. problem is I'm a terrible photographer and my camera is a fancy modern one and thus takes horrible pictures, as you all can see..post-75663-0-94010300-1393197908_thumb.jpost-75663-0-42751700-1393197921_thumb.jpost-75663-0-44071700-1393197939_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Little update about this RX-Z. I've been driving it for a couple weeks now, and had one fuel leak - fixed for free by my regular mechanic. Not sure what was wrong with it, but it obviously didn't require any parts. Lost half a tank though.. about 250 baht.

The bike drives great, very stable after the front shocks rebuilt.. but it isn't quite as powerful as I might've hoped. It has 95,000 kilometers on it, so maybe its just a little more worn than the outward appearance would suggest. Also had the gear oil changed. The gears are a little 'heavy' or stiff, but seem very accurate and precise (much the opposite of many older bikes, where they seem a little loose).

The bike drives great, very stable after the front shocks rebuilt.. but it isn't quite as powerful as I might've hoped. It has 95,000 kilometers on it, so maybe its just a little more worn than the outward appearance would suggest.

Old 2 stroke. If parts are available surely they have slight overbore pistons

Grab one & freshen it up. Clean up the exhaust port & I bet it will be lively again

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=YAMAHA+GENUINE+RXZ+RX+Z+RXZ135+PISTON+KIT+SIZE0+75+NOS+&_itemId=250804294566

Edited by mania

• 2 months later...

Just had the engine on this bike rebuilt over at the Yamaha dealer in Khon Kaen (the one that seems to have a lot of experience with older bikes). I haven't picked it up yet, but they told me the total bill is 2,130 baht. Can't wait to have a chance to go pick it up.

Btw, when I dropped the bike off there last week they still had all the old-new bikes for sale: everything from big bikes to Tiaras to old Belle R's with no kilometers, still standing on the showroom floor! :D

He,.. I missed this topic in February, nice original RX-Z you got there CQ... and yes i can confirm about that Yamaha dealer in KK, there pretty good, the older mechanics ( i believe one of them works there over 25 years) know a lot about 2 strokes bikes

b.t.w . I was that member who bought a brand new old stock TZM 150. ( february 2012) after a tip from you.

It still runs perfect and last November a friend of mine also bought one of those TZM's

here is picture from one the mechanics with my TZM.

post-143096-0-92441900-1401887986_thumb.

Btw, when I dropped the bike off there last week they still had all the old-new bikes for sale: everything from big bikes to Tiaras to old Belle R's with no kilometers, still standing on the showroom floor! biggrin.png

Same place you bought your TZM150?

How is that bike doing?

Ooops I see that was Dutchbike...sorry

Edited by mania

Where abouts in khonkaen is the shop? might go and have a look what they have in stock, really after a suzuki raider 150, but a old yamaha TZM will do. thanks nev.

He,.. I missed this topic in February, nice original RX-Z you got there CQ... and yes i can confirm about that Yamaha dealer in KK, there pretty good, the older mechanics ( i believe one of them works there over 25 years) know a lot about 2 strokes bikes

b.t.w . I was that member who bought a brand new old stock TZM 150. ( february 2012) after a tip from you.

It still runs perfect and last November a friend of mine also bought one of those TZM's

attachicon.gifDealer at Khon Kean (26).JPG

How much do they cost?

Nice looking for sure.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Where abouts in khonkaen is the shop? might go and have a look what they have in stock, really after a suzuki raider 150, but a old yamaha TZM will do. thanks nev.

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gDealer at Khon Kean (26).JPG

How much do they cost?

Nice looking for sure.

the shop: Kaen Nakorn Yanyont .co.ltd

125/6-8 Na Muang Road

Khon Kean 043-221352 / 043-224444

It's pretty much in the centre.

Impressive collection of new old stock and second hand 2 strokes, nice friendly people.

The TZM's where 58K ( all-in)

Last time i was there (November 2013) they still had 2 new TZM's

• Like 1

Can you post some pics of their inventory? Or email them to me and i can post if you are busy..

I was interested back when he posted originally & even saved the pics

I changed my mind due to distance & the possible hassle to reg from CHiangmai

His post has them too but I do not remember where

Here are a few pics of inventory from his orig post

post-82547-0-20958700-1401893400_thumb.j

post-82547-0-86189600-1401893416_thumb.j

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gDealer at Khon Kean (26).JPG

How much do they cost?

Nice looking for sure.

the shop: Kaen Nakorn Yanyont .co.ltd

125/6-8 Na Muang Road

Khon Kean 043-221352 / 043-224444

It's pretty much in the centre.

Impressive collection of new old stock and second hand 2 strokes, nice friendly people.

The TZM's where 58K ( all-in)

Last time i was there (November 2013) they still had 2 new TZM's

Thanks mate i know the shop well i will go have a look next time i am in town. cheers nev

Can you post some pics of their inventory? Or email them to me and i can post if you are busy..

yes I can.... smile.png

note: the pics are from february 2012 and most of the TZM's are sold.

Still a lot of underbone 2 strokes last November and plenty of second hand ones ( which are not very cheap)

post-143096-0-07739300-1401893670_thumb.post-143096-0-51618300-1401893694_thumb.post-143096-0-91691100-1401893759_thumb.post-143096-0-07606300-1401893784_thumb.post-143096-0-80466500-1401893806_thumb.post-143096-0-61798300-1401893831_thumb.post-143096-0-39953600-1401893855_thumb.post-143096-0-26788400-1401893881_thumb.post-143096-0-87954300-1401893904_thumb.post-143096-0-81465200-1401893928_thumb.

Re op I have just had to give up on my beloved Kawa GTO 280000 km , gasahole has won the the day. I can remember the RX-Z good bikes,same era as my GTO, use to be a lot in bkk sending boxes all over , along with GTO's and Lambureters( what happened to them).

Use a fully synthetic oil it dos help, and keep the exhaust clean, with gassahole it soon gets cloged up ,if you can sltill find benzine,use that will prolong the engine( I can not find any near me) I still use my GTO ,now manily with the bike trailer buying feed for our cattle .

Now got a Wave,goes and stops ,when I say, that is about it .