Death of Queen CRV the Fourth

laolover88

Her Majesty Queen CRV the Fourth has pretty much died and needs a successor. Advice required from wise men! New CRV is

horrible old Civic, still, with even bigger tea cosy on top..so Ford Ranger, Mazda BT50, Mazda CX5 seem like choices?

Don't like Isuzu Mu7

Indoors refuses to buy a Toyota!!! So Fortuner out, and I tend to agree.....4 doors+, 3 kids and able to get from

Udon Thani to Krabi and back regularly without too much hassle. What do you suggest? Thanks

The blind will never see. Guys who take advise from her indoors are, eeeeeeeeeeeer, crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif , whacko .......................coffee1.gif

Well I expect her "indoors" has her reasons!! We been here a while!! Have had Fortuners, Vioses, Vigos...horrible cars!! Tanks with attitude! And you would advise, what?!! Good wishes!
  • Like 1

The blind will never see. Guys who take advise from her indoors are, eeeeeeeeeeeer, crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif , whacko .......................coffee1.gif

Well I expect her "indoors" has her reasons!! We been here a while!! Have had Fortuners, Vioses, Vigos...horrible cars!! Tanks with attitude! And you would advise, what?!! Good wishes!

Sounds like it's all your ladies view on things..................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Women, wherever, are about brand name handbags, they must be different from the rest for the WOW thing. I think the same with transport, they want the others to think....WOW...... don't care about issues with the thing. Your 4 wheel ride is YOUR domain, your homework, if you are a sheep and panders to her in doors, then you are beyond help.........sad.png

• Like 1

Best new SUV for the money right now is the MU-X Isuzu. Nice looking machine too, I've been tempted to buy one, but waiting for the new Everest and Fortuner to decide cause I'm in no hurry. If I had to buy now, it would be the MU-X.

What about the new TrailBlazer...same same,but More Power....Arghh...wink.png

Best new SUV for the money right now is the MU-X Isuzu. Nice looking machine too, I've been tempted to buy one, but waiting for the new Everest and Fortuner to decide cause I'm in no hurry. If I had to buy now, it would be the MU-X.

Is it a Ford...................?........................w00t.gif

To my eyes, Isuzu just nailed the styling better (with the exception of the front end which still looks like a truck). There is more symmetry in the design and the color choices are better. They have cut out the interior amenities like electric control seat adjustment to get the price down and it is very good value for money if you don't need the interior bells and whistles. Reading the reviews from Australia though it sounds as though the ride on roads is not yet smooth enough, but I also saw a Thai forum comparison of the suspension systems comparing the new MU-X against the Pajero Sport and the Fortuner. It comes out well, but I guess the PJS still slightly wins in overall ride quality. I personally think the MU-X kills the PJS on exterior looks.

I'm looking forward to seeing the all new Everest because the scuttlebutt is that they have tried to marry all the upscale amenities with best in class performance and ride. We'll see... I'm hoping it's the closest thing yet to a proper American SUV.

Women, wherever, are about brand name handbags, they must be different from the rest for the WOW thing. I think the same with transport, they want the others to think....WOW...... don't care about issues with the thing. Your 4 wheel ride is YOUR domain, your homework, if you are a sheep and panders to her in doors, then you are beyond help.........sad.png

Totally agree.

For sure, ask them, but then make your own choice.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't buy a Fortuner unless you have a matching tattoo of 'W****r' on your forehead.

• Like 1

To my eyes, Isuzu just nailed the styling better (with the exception of the front end which still looks like a truck). There is more symmetry in the design and the color choices are better. They have cut out the interior amenities like electric control seat adjustment to get the price down and it is very good value for money if you don't need the interior bells and whistles. Reading the reviews from Australia though it sounds as though the ride on roads is not yet smooth enough, but I also saw a Thai forum comparison of the suspension systems comparing the new MU-X against the Pajero Sport and the Fortuner. It comes out well, but I guess the PJS still slightly wins in overall ride quality. I personally think the MU-X kills the PJS on exterior looks.

I'm looking forward to seeing the all new Everest because the scuttlebutt is that they have tried to marry all the upscale amenities with best in class performance and ride. We'll see... I'm hoping it's the closest thing yet to a proper American SUV.

Is there any info on when the new Everest may appear?

Crikey. Must wonder about posters' domestic life!!

Seems a perfectly reasonable request for expertise! Hardly a reason to go AWOL over our arrangements for domestic

decision making! And yes, I went to the market and bought and cooked the spare-ribs and the octopus ..on my own...

must be a complete freak?? I think George, CDNVIC, Ubonjoe, whoever, should delete all misogyny and tell posters where

they can buy the new digital condom..for use in the a*** only

From your own POV, in what ways does your soon-to-be-replaced CR-V excel over the Fortuner, VIOS and VIGO's you had in the past? A little of your perspective will certainly help posters understand your criteria, and maybe help get this topic back on track too :)

• Like 1

Guess im just Lucky, my Mrs cant stand SUVs the rolling makes her fee ill.She recons the Sons Trailblaxer looks like a Shipping Container with Windows.But then She Loves Handbags more than Cars.

Only opinion when i buy anything is dont get Black,its a Wannabies Choise and gets Too Hot.So There Dont Argue..........

Just spotted IMHO, so il add my bit.Its simple to me, get in a Mu7 and a Tuna and one can tell its a Truck Base, get in a CRV and it feels nice.

Yep, that was my initial thought, but then he mentioned VIOS too.. so probably best if the OP tells use what he likes/doesn't like :)

Yeah, this is the big challenge in Thailand for a decent riding and well appointed SUV that is reasonable and affordable. It has to be truck-based to get the cost down, and has to be diesel for that reason and HP and torque as well as low fuel prices. So far, in full size SUVs, only the Captiva I guess has the nicer ride?, but I read that it steers sort of heavy in the front.

If Toyota or Ford can somehow pull off some tricks with suspension to get a nicer ride from a truck chassis, and if they would offer premium appointed interiors, we could maybe get to some upscale SUVS in Thailand without going to the premium German (& Range Rover) brands price levels.

I'm not sure we'll ever get to Escalade level, but blinged-out next-gen Tunas & Everests? Who knows? smile.png

Edited by keemapoot

The OP has not said that he needs 7 seats, but from my experience with 3 kids there is always a need to pick up their friends or take along maids/nannies/relatives.

If he did want 7 seats, not a truck based PPV, and has not recently robbed the mail train, then the only 7 seat SUVs built on a car platform at a reasonable price would appear to be the Captiva and Sorrento, both around 1.7 million in diesel spec. The Sorrento is a better car, but unfortunately I would guess not serviceable in Udon or anywhere else outside of Bangkok. If he is looking at a 4 door pickup budget then maybe these are also a bit pricey.

Problem with the Captiva is that everybody will assume that you are driving your wife's car, but coming from a CRV he would be used to that.

• Like 1

The OP has not said that he needs 7 seats, but from my experience with 3 kids there is always a need to pick up their friends or take along maids/nannies/relatives.

If he did want 7 seats, not a truck based PPV, and has not recently robbed the mail train, then the only 7 seat SUVs built on a car platform at a reasonable price would appear to be the Captiva and Sorrento, both around 1.7 million in diesel spec. The Sorrento is a better car, but unfortunately I would guess not serviceable in Udon or anywhere else outside of Bangkok. If he is looking at a 4 door pickup budget then maybe these are also a bit pricey.

Problem with the Captiva is that everybody will assume that you are driving your wife's car, but coming from a CRV he would be used to that.

Gladly not over sensitive to 'the driving wife's car' bit! Anyway wife drives an ancient Mercedes 190, just like the

one she has in the UK!! Daughters v. miffed as the one here "has no hole in the roof".

Thanks for your comments!

Madame has now said: what about a Freed?

This I have naturally banned as I do not wish to drive a biscuit tin filled with arm chairs.

What I would really like is: save the money for air fares get and keep a Citroen AZUR/Mehari in Krabi, a 2CV in Issan,

with or without doors/windscreen wipers/seats etc..but I have never seen them here. Do you suppose there are

lots in Laos which, in order to avoid silly taxes, we could take apart and ship to Nong Khai in cardboard boxes?

Thanks for your comments!

Madame has now said: what about a Freed?

This I have naturally banned as I do not wish to drive a biscuit tin filled with arm chairs.

What I would really like is: save the money for air fares get and keep a Citroen AZUR/Mehari in Krabi, a 2CV in Issan,

with or without doors/windscreen wipers/seats etc..but I have never seen them here. Do you suppose there are

lots in Laos which, in order to avoid silly taxes, we could take apart and ship to Nong Khai in cardboard boxes?

I spent a couple of years in Lao and don't recall seeing many (if any at all) 2CVs. Maybe in Vietnam, but as per Lao the steering wheel will be on the wrong side and you would have buckley's chance of getting it legal for use here.

Freed is horrible - certainly your long drives will be no fun.

I'm after a 7 seater too - for the rainy season and when we have visitors. I'm a bit tired of the Fortuners & Pajeros having driven that sort of thing for 15 yeas here but not really wanting to plop 4 million on a Land Rover.

2 Million or less would be about right.

What different worlds we live in ... smile.png