Thai Police Clearance Check. De Facto Partner Visa. Need a paper stating: Not Married.

Hello everyone.

Just want to share and learn what other people have experienced lately.

My partner of almost four years went to the Police centre this week to get the Police Clearance Check.

To be fully prepared we called them again last week and asked some questions about what is needed, how much will it cost and opening hours of the office. The usual to prevent waiting times when dealing with bureaucracy.

So off she goes with all the paperwork and the VFS letter to be told that she needs a letter stating that she is NOT married which would need to be obtained in her home town even though that this is not listed on the website nor on the actual application form. Then she was told as an alternative she could PAY 1500 THB instead of the 100 THB fee.

What is this? Has anybody else had the same problem? Where do we get the paper stating Not Married?

Or is this just another police scam! Squeezing more money out of the general public.

This kind of stuff drives me mad and it is also why my partner prefers to live in Australia and has had enough of Thailand.

Ladies and Gentlemen please tell us your story.

Thank you.

C.

I needed a police clearance check in January and the cost was Bt100.

No request for extra paper work or payment. English skills of staff I encountered were very poor to none.

Why would you pay Bt1,500 to the police without a receipt in their office? Something sounds lost in translation.

A No Impedance to Marriage document is what it sounds like they are asking for. These are issued by some countries embassies as a pre-requisite for people getting married in a foreign country to certify they are not already married in their home county.

• Like 2

My experience for Oz Embassy that you take the letter to address below; is that where she went? If I understand you correctly Special Branch asked for a letter confirming her marriage status for police clearance. I believe this is a requirement & can be obtained from her Amphur. Do a Google search on 'How to obtain a Police clearance certificate Thailand' and it will confirm...

Police Clearance Service Centre
Commander Special Branch
Royal Thai Police Headquarters
Rama I Road, Patumwan
Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Telephone: +66 (02) 205-2168
Fax: +66 (02) 205-2169
E-mail: [email protected]

BTW have sent you a PM that you should note

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes that is the office and the website where we got the forms.

Thank you for the added info.

C.

She needs to go to the local Amphoe office where she is registered as living, and take along some neighbors, friends, family, parents, etc. - people who are willing to sign statements that they believe her not to be married. Then the Amphoe office will issue her the "Single Status Certificate."

I must admit ... I'm a little confused by this from the OP ...

My partner of almost four years went to the Police centre this week to get the Police Clearance Check.

To be fully prepared we called them again last week and asked some questions about what is needed, how much will it cost and opening hours of the office. The usual to prevent waiting times when dealing with bureaucracy.

So off she goes with all the paperwork and the VFS letter to be told that she needs a letter stating that she is NOT married

From the DFAT website, it says ...

Police certificates
Everyone who wishes to enter Australia must be of good character. In order to determine this, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) may ask you to provide a police certificate.

We are currently starting the Partner Visa process, I've read the checklist currently (several times) and there is nothing in there about that.

Plus, are you saying that the VFS supplied a letter requesting her to attend the Police station to get the Police Clearance check.

To my knowledge, the VFS supplies nothing like that ... indeed the Partner Visa application should be presented completely, with the Police clearance check.

The only document that is then requested is the Medical examination, which the Embassy sends the letter for.

Happy to have my understanding challenged ... I'm learning like everyone else.

I must admit ... I'm a little confused by this from the OP ...

So off she goes with all the paperwork and the VFS letter to be told that she needs a letter stating that she is NOT married

From the DFAT website, it says ...

Police certificates

Everyone who wishes to enter Australia must be of good character. In order to determine this, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) may ask you to provide a police certificate.

We are currently starting the Partner Visa process, I've read the checklist currently (several times) and there is nothing in there about that.

Plus, are you saying that the VFS supplied a letter requesting her to attend the Police station to get the Police Clearance check.

To my knowledge, the VFS supplies nothing like that ... indeed the Partner Visa application should be presented completely, with the Police clearance check.

The only document that is then requested is the Medical examination, which the Embassy sends the letter for.

Happy to have my understanding challenged ... I'm learning like everyone else.

Yeah VFS gives you a letter to take to police headquarters, to get the police check. Include it in ur application when you submit.

The health examination cant be done until your case officer thats assigned to your application, gives you a reference number.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The US embassy .. and maybe others .. have started asking for a "Single Status Certificate." It's a cert you get from your local Amphoe office that you are not married. It's not on any of the embassy visa application lists yet. And the lawyer I hired had never heard of it. So .. likely it's a new requirement. But it's easy to obtain.

Yes that is the office and the website where we got the forms.

Thank you for the added info.

C.

She needs to go to the local Amphoe office where she is registered as living, and take along some neighbors, friends, family, parents, etc. - people who are willing to sign statements that they believe her not to be married. Then the Amphoe office will issue her the "Single Status Certificate."

Agree completely with sfexpat.

My fiancee ( now wife ) went to get her police check and all very easy, cant remember what she paid but it was very little and the report was mailed to her. Remember you must submitt the original of this not a copy.

She then went to her Amphoe office with her elder brother and number 1 man from village and got her papers stating she had never married, also a minimal cost.

All very straight forward and we had no problem with DIAC when application submitted.

good luck with it

chameleonic ... when I first read your OP I was a little skeptical.

today I had my Thai Partner, who is very soon to apply for her Partner Visa ring the Police Clearance Centre.

She protested ... I insisted.

We checked their website and were surprised by two things.

One ... you do need a letter from either the Embassy (or VFS).

and two ... you now need a document saying that you are single ... blink.png

She told me after she had hung up from the Police clearance Centre. I said BS ... it's not on their website.

I persisted enough to get to phone them again!

Maybe 20 mins on the phone this time.

And the official line was yes, you do need a letter (from the Amphere ... excuse the spelling) stating that you are single ... <deleted> ... w00t.gif

And the unofficial line was ... maybe try and come and don't mentioned that you have phoned and try and get away with it.

RBTL ... maybe the extra Bt 1,000 was 'look the other way' money ... who knows?

So, officially, you need the 'I am single document' ... though they haven't changed their website yet ... she said they would do that tomorrow ... cheesy.gif

I LOVE this forum ... great guys, giving real time feedback ... makes it easier for everyone ... thumbsup.gif to you guys!

• 4 weeks later...
Agency out source to Delivery Certificate by Postal service Fed-ex no-image-news.png The Police clearance certificatate center have amount of work required certification and inspection services to the public a lot. Which action may be delayed. Not easy to apply. In order to alleviate the suffering. And to facilitate the public. The Company intends to apply for a certificate in the mail. Services are approved agents. (Out source) to the document. Clearance Certificate delivered via Fed-ex courier to you in case of emergency. For convenience,And as an alternative to another channel you can view the details and apply. www.a-plusservice.com or phone +662 991 9626 ,+668 1641 0269, +668 442 6014=large>=large> I copied this from the Police web-site. Has anyone used this service?

Just how would anyone obtain a document declaring one was single? From whom? The registrar of the unwed? Is this some garbled understanding of an affirmation that one is free to marry which one deposed in their local consulate or embassy and generally costs about 1,800 baht?

Just how would anyone obtain a document declaring one was single? From whom? The registrar of the unwed? Is this some garbled understanding of an affirmation that one is free to marry which one deposed in their local consulate or embassy and generally costs about 1,800 baht?

Just last month we got my Thai Lassies Police clearance check.

The rules have changed and now there is a requirement for document stating that the applicant applying for the check is single.

Weird - YES

You get the clearance from your registered Ampour (don't know if I spelt that correctly)

No, it's not on the Police website, but if you ring and ask them what is required ... they will inform you it is.

• 6 months later...

Hi all, I'm wondering if a 309 visa application would be accepted initially at VFS without the police check, and then hand the police check in a few weeks later. I've booked flights for the missus and kids to do the application next week and have overlooked the police check, I thought it was requested by the embassy later.

Thanks.

Hi all, I'm wondering if a 309 visa application would be accepted initially at VFS without the police check, and then hand the police check in a few weeks later. I've booked flights for the missus and kids to do the application next week and have overlooked the police check, I thought it was requested by the embassy later.

Thanks.

When you lodge at the VFS, they give you the form then.

Then you go to the Police station, making sure you have all the documents the Police need.

post-104736-0-73411700-1418089495.jpg

The Police then forward it directly to the Embassy ...

You may find this is their web address ... http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/

I warmly recommend telephoning them to ask what is required before attending in person to their office. (practising my tinglish)

Yeh do it person. We tried from abroad in the end we had to go back and physically dig through their own paperwork to get it done. Less the bribe they wanted 2000, when we had already paid the stupid return postage stamps =50 bucks ozzie. 2 months later it arrived in the mail with a 100baht stamp on it. Scam and a half going on down there

• Like 1

We did my wife's Thai police clearance from Oz; apart for the expected extortion attempt, which we didn't pay, everything happened pretty quickly.

We have returned to Thailand to lodge the application to include my wife's daughter on her application, because the daughter is over 16 we require a police clearance. It was only after getting the police clearance request letter from VFS, dropping all the other documents off at the Trendy building to be translated while we went to the police clearance service centre, and arriving at the police clearance service centre that we realised that the police wanted to see the letter giving my wife custody... Ugh.

<rant> Why on earth do the police need to see these letters?! Their task is to provide a records check, nothing else. The RPT have absolutely no say whatsoever in whether any visa application to any other country is going to be approved or rejected, why do they needlessly involve themselves in matters that don't concern them? Apart from a tick in a box, the Aussie police couldn't give a rat's what the clearance is for: it's got nothing to do with them. </rant>

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm the Police do have an 'express' service for the police check. 1500 baht, no need for the 'proof of being single' letter from the Ampour, and police check will be mailed out to Embassy/VFS/You in about 5 business days, sent EMS.

Just take the request letter that VFS/embassy give you plus passport/ID card/house book.

This is as of lat December 2014.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I can confirm the Police do have an 'express' service for the police check. 1500 baht, no need for the 'proof of being single' letter from the Ampour, and police check will be mailed out to Embassy/VFS/You in about 5 business days, sent EMS.

Just take the request letter that VFS/embassy give you plus passport/ID card/house book.

This is as of lat December 2014.

Good to know.. I usually do my best to avoid supporting this sort of nonsense, but on this occasion I don't think I have much choice.

Just one thing I'm not clear on.. we submit the application at VFS, they give us the clearance request form, which we then take to the police department, who then sends the clearance directly to vfs / the embassy.

* Is this correct?

* anyone know if it goes to vfs or the embassy?

I'm just wondering whether vfs is going to sit on the application until they get the police clearance back, or if the application will go straight through to the embassy and the clearance come along later.