Which scooter to buy?

I will be moving to Thailand permanently and will buy a scooter to run about. Well, one of the reasons is to buy and carry a cartoon of Chang beer (large bottles). There I need advice based on your experience. Which scooter is more reliable and comfortable as well as has enough space to carry the box?

I did a little search in TV and kind of getting idea about Yamaha Fiora and Honda i-spacy. I also like Honda PCX (125i that would be good enough for my use) but not sure if the box will safely fit.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For carring a box of large Chang's, well well a top box is normally not designed to carry such a large weight.

A bike with a flat foot board is best for that, but a large box of Chang's, not sure the box will fit.

The best advise I can give is to buy a box of large Chang's and take it to the bike shop and then try see which bike can fit the Chang's, LOL.

I bet you will be popular with the mecanics if you do but perhaps not so much with the sales girls.

I normally buy Heineken/Singa in cans of 24 and a Scoppy/Fino is just fine for that.

Conclusion: Either stop drinking Chang's in large bottles or buy a pick-up truck, then you can carry loads of Chang's in one go.

• Like 2

Most scooters its down to practice!

As some people have already mentioned the flat floor is the best for slabs of beer.

Ive balanced a box of 24 san migs (small bottles) on my pcx between my knees.

Ok when your moving but a bit of a bugger at the lights

I transported many boxes of big Changs on my Scoopy, they don't fit on the floor though but you can hang them between the steering-column and the seat. Slabs of cans i just put on the seat behind me and drive slowly or hold it with one hand.

If you want to play safe then tie them up on the seat.

I would not buy a scoopy though, then a Click is better.

I would not buy a scoopy though, then a Click is better.

I agree, the scoopy is my wife's and I fell very cramped on it, but it's okay for short beer haulssmile.png

I have a pcx 150 and it's much better for a larger person but my wife finds it too big and tilted on it once.

You can put about 8 bottles of beer under the saddle of a PCX. Ours is 5 years old now and is waaaaaaaaaay more comfortable than the smaller bikes. Mrs.Trans loves the PCX.

they must be small bottles right? Even though it is a reasonably good storage space for beer or anything. I am not famiiar with scooters is your pcx 125 or 150 cc. I do not plan to use scooter on highway. Are all PCX have idle stop/start? If so does it re-start fast or still easy controlable? PCX 125 is in my short list too but I need to know more. I will check Honda website. Do you have anything to add?

You can put about 8 bottles of beer under the saddle of a PCX. Ours is 5 years old now and is waaaaaaaaaay more comfortable than the smaller bikes. Mrs.Trans loves the PCX.

they must be small bottles right? Even though it is a reasonably good storage space for beer or anything. I am not famiiar with scooters is your pcx 125 or 150 cc. I do not plan to use scooter on highway. Are all PCX have idle stop/start? If so does it re-start fast or still easy controlable? PCX 125 is in my short list too but I need to know more. I will check Honda website. Do you have anything to add?

Laaaaaarge bottles thumbsup.gif . Idle stop is instant, also a switch to turn on or off on the handle bars. Noooooooooo problem. Ours is an original 125 and is great. We had a click, Airblade, the PCX is another dimension.

• Like 1

cant you buy half a box of beers? this might increase your options.

or maybe getting a house close to a shop?

joke aside, any flat board scooter is OK. i suggest honda sh150i. it has more room as built for Europe or if you want one size up, honda forza or maybe kawa releases j300 here.

one size down, it is yamaha fino, honda scoopy, honda zoomer x and honda click125.

check second hand prices as well, you might find really good deals.

post-184955-0-55494800-1394453927_thumb.

post-184955-0-16475000-1394453965_thumb.

Edited by ll2

I didn't get beer with my sh150 (yet) and i think the space on the floor is the same as on a scoopy.

The sh is a much better bike though for long distances or highways. Don't know about a pcx but i don't like the small wheels of it and i miss the flat floor. Also it is to popular for thais so it might get stolen. The sh also is much more efficient then a scoopy but maybe it was my drivestyle.

cant you buy half a box of beers? this might increase your options.

or maybe getting a house close to a shop?

joke aside, any flat board scooter is OK. i suggest honda sh150i. it has more room as built for Europe or if you want one size up, honda forza or maybe kawa releases j300 here.

one size down, it is yamaha fino, honda scoopy, honda zoomer x and honda click125.

check second hand prices as well, you might find really good deals.

I will have a car for weekly shopping and large beer carton but sometime I may need to quick run to a near shop for beer or small shopping. I think it is good to have some ample space in case. Otherwise I am not really bike person.In fact I only have experience with rental scooter in Hua Hin for a short time. Also I do not want to pay too much say over 50,000 THB for any kind (little used or new).Space,comfort (at my 64 yo age and 90 kg),reliability and safety.

Another question would be how tall you are, just a variable to include. Some bikes such as the PCX have seats designed for Small people. I'm 6'4" & with my PCX require a custom seat. Also none of these will hold that much, might want to get a (big bike) motorcycle & purchase/install a couple large storage compartments for the rear. With the PCX, there's an option for a rear storage compartment.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The Vespa is very ''Retro'' and looks good, not sure about beer carrying though..

Vespa is the mother of scooters but too expensive.

But its classy

And dangerous, small wheels and poor weight balance across axes. On older models, suspension dive under front braking discouraged its use.

Great scooter hisorically, useless statement today.

Am I the only one who does this? I take two bungee cords, that are always stored under my seat, and anchor the case of beer down in back of me on the seat. You could do this with any bike.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who does this? I take two bungee cords, that are always stored under my seat, and anchor the case of beer down in back of me on the seat. You could do this with any bike.

Seen Thai service people do that, but an option for the short or small people. For me there's no room.

Another question would be how tall you are, just a variable to include. Some bikes such as the PCX have seats designed for Small people. I'm 6'4" & with my PCX require a custom seat. Also none of these will hold that much, might want to get a (big bike) motorcycle & purchase/install a couple large storage compartments for the rear. With the PCX, there's an option for a rear storage compartment.

Oz,

Sorry all about sidebar topic,

I am the same height as yourself. Actually an inch taller. I am looking at an upgrade from my wife's honda click 125cc to the PCX 150. While I know my frame warrants a much larger bike, I do not want a larger more powerful bike as am to prone to want to go fast and we all know what that leads to. Having stated the above, where, how did you get the custom seat made?? Did you get it through Honda??

help greatly appreciated.

Also, if someone can tell me how to ask private questions it would be greatly appreciated. That way I do not need to butt in on someone elses question. Again, greatly appreciated.

I am the same height as yourself. Actually an inch taller. I am looking at an upgrade from my wife's honda click 125cc to the PCX 150. While I know my frame warrants a much larger bike, I do not want a larger more powerful bike as am to prone to want to go fast and we all know what that leads to. Having stated the above, where, how did you get the custom seat made?? Did you get it through Honda??

Check Honda SH150, designed and built for bigger than average Asian users.