Nostalgic today for the Old Bangkok Post.

Issangeorge

In the days before the interweb...perhaps it was worth the trip.

But I don't think it would stand up in todays age. Both papers are pretty average to be honest. I use twitter as my newspaper these days. Much more informative.

Edited by samran

Yeah, it was a great paper in its day...but so was the International Herald Tribune and the USA editions of the NYT and WSJ. Now they're all just a shadow of their former selves. The economics of the new business and the way people consume news are just so different now that no newspaper has been immune to industry changes.

I don't blame the internet...heck, that's how I consume all my news now but at least I still support the Times by subscribing to their iPad app and believe it or not, still subscribe to the dead-tree version of the Post.

Remember the dead tree version of the post is supporting an Isaan Eucalyptus Farmer who is probably growing his trees on land that's not much good for anything else.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The International NY Times (after the name change) is still a pretty good paper with very broad coverage. The Financial Times is good too. And then there's the internet of course. Never been a better time for news -- and I've been a news junkie for 30+ years.

Yeah, it was a great paper in its day...but so was the International Herald Tribune and the USA editions of the NYT and WSJ. Now they're all just a shadow of their former selves. The economics of the new business and the way people consume news are just so different now that no newspaper has been immune to industry changes.

I don't blame the internet...heck, that's how I consume all my news now but at least I still support the Times by subscribing to their iPad app and believe it or not, still subscribe to the dead-tree version of the Post.

How do you find the Times iPad app? I have been tempted to subscribe on several occasions but the huge number of negative reviews has stopped me from doing so.

Edited by inthepink

How do you find the Times iPad app? I have been tempted to subscribe on several occasions but the huge number of negative reviews has stopped me from doing so.

I loved the iPad app when I was using the iOS 6 version of it. When I "upgraded to iOS 7 and the new NYT app for it, I had some technical problems with the app and also didn't like some of the format and stylistic changes that they made. I got so frustrated that I wrote them a nasty email complaining about it and a few weeks later even canceled my app subscription. However, after a few weeks of painful NYT withdrawal symptoms (been reader/subscriber for 35 years) I broke down and re-subscribed. I still have some technical issues but I've just learned to live with them.

Also, have other problems from the iOS upgrade. Basically the iPad has become much less stable and crashes often.

I loved the iPad app when I was using the iOS 6 version of it. When I "upgraded to iOS 7 and the new NYT app for it, I had some technical problems with the app and also didn't like some of the format and stylistic changes that they made. I got so frustrated that I wrote them a nasty email complaining about it and a few weeks later even canceled my app subscription. However, after a few weeks of painful NYT withdrawal symptoms (been reader/subscriber for 35 years) I broke down and re-subscribed. I still have some technical issues but I've just learned to live with them.

Also, have other problems from the iOS upgrade. Basically the iPad has become much less stable and crashes often.

Thank you. I've noticed certain apps crash more often since upgrading as well.