Best Full English Breakfast in Bangkok

KarlosInBKK

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should do a poll here:

"Should there be fried potato on a Full English?"

For me it's a "No", but entirely subjective really.

No skin in the game for me, none of the breakfasts are monikered with my country. I enjoy all of the ....thou the variants from the five eyes plus Ireland seem to top the continental choices.

Service and quality/value for $ drives me. I do have to agree with other posters here, even though this is a bkk brekkie forum....ptya has better fare for the money.

Once years back there was a place on suk 22, called the 22 I think, that has a great greasy spoon breakfast for a pittance. Gone long ago now, a pizza slice place today if I recall correctly.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The London Pie on Naradhiwas 24 / Sathu Pradit 19 serves fantastic breakfasts for 150-200 baht. Top quality sausages, bacon, black pudding, home-baked bread and as much Yorkshire tea as you can drink. It's a bugger to find though.

What are their opening hours etc?

Sounds interesting.... Is it on Naratiwat or Sathu Pradit? If its that hard to find, give some GPS co-ordinates smile.png

It is on the Soi that at one end is Narathiwas 24 and at the other end is Sathu Pradit 19. It is nearer Sathu Pradit, on the opposite side to Ken's Steakhouse.

Definitely a bugger to find, I certainly couldn't, is it a bar or a bakery? And what is going on at Ken's, does it just open late on a Sunday or have they shut up shop? Unable to find the "Pie" I was looking forward to one of Ken's "100 different" beers but it was not to be. Interesting Soi though, must get away from Sukhumvit and Silom more often.

Seem to be losing my appetite the only breakfast I've had this trip has been the mini at the Royal Oak. The egg was a bit hard but there was a lot more bacon than I expected and otherwise no complaints for 125 baht.

Sorry our mate above had an iffy experience at Jools, been drinking there on and off for 20 years and never had that problem. Perhaps the staff only liven up later on when the "management team" are present.

The London Pie on Naradhiwas 24 / Sathu Pradit 19 serves fantastic breakfasts for 150-200 baht. Top quality sausages, bacon, black pudding, home-baked bread and as much Yorkshire tea as you can drink. It's a bugger to find though.

What are their opening hours etc?

Sounds interesting.... Is it on Naratiwat or Sathu Pradit? If its that hard to find, give some GPS co-ordinates smile.png

It is on the Soi that at one end is Narathiwas 24 and at the other end is Sathu Pradit 19. It is nearer Sathu Pradit, on the opposite side to Ken's Steakhouse.

Definitely a bugger to find, I certainly couldn't, is it a bar or a bakery? And what is going on at Ken's, does it just open late on a Sunday or have they shut up shop? Unable to find the "Pie" I was looking forward to one of Ken's "100 different" beers but it was not to be. Interesting Soi though, must get away from Sukhumvit and Silom more often.

Seem to be losing my appetite the only breakfast I've had this trip has been the mini at the Royal Oak. The egg was a bit hard but there was a lot more bacon than I expected and otherwise no complaints for 125 baht.

Sorry our mate above had an iffy experience at Jools, been drinking there on and off for 20 years and never had that problem. Perhaps the staff only liven up later on when the "management team" are present.

Ken's is a great bar, only open in the evenings. Went past their Friday and Saturday nights about 23.45 and it was open.

For some bizarre reason, I have been credited with the original post regarding the London Pie. I did not post that original article, I just happen to know where it is.

Went past there this morning about 11.00 and it was shut.

There is a large blue plastic awning hanging along the front of the shop/cafe.

Just found their facebook page and they are open 09.00 - 17.00 Monday to Friday, closed Saturday and Sunday.

It would appear that they sell pies, sausages, black pudding etc.

Was persuaded into giving the Black Swan another go, turns out the breakfasts on the normal menu are significantly better than the one on the breakfast menu, I think the breakfast menu is the equivalent of their mini breakfast.

Interesting, if not incomprehensible, concept. The breakfast on the non-breakfast menu is of higher quality (by design) than the breakfast on the breakfast menu. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Someone on the original thread suggested the breakfast at No Idea gastropub on Soi 22 was quite good. I've never had their breakfast but I have eaten there and the food/atmosphere is excellent. It's run by a very personable Kiwi gent and his wife. If the breakfast is as good as the rest of the food, it would be worth trying. (Usual disclaimer: I have no interest and/or ownership in this restaurant.)

Link to an article about the place: http://www.restaurantsofbangkok.com/articles2/rob-reviews/no-idea-cafe-gastro-pub

Someone on the original thread suggested the breakfast at No Idea gastropub on Soi 22 was quite good. I've never had their breakfast but I have eaten there and the food/atmosphere is excellent. It's run by a very personable Kiwi gent and his wife. If the breakfast is as good as the rest of the food, it would be worth trying. (Usual disclaimer: I have no interest and/or ownership in this restaurant.)

Link to an article about the place: http://www.restaurantsofbangkok.com/articles2/rob-reviews/no-idea-cafe-gastro-pub

Well today tried chequers soi 4. Service attentive to be sure, reasonable temperature as well even with doors open, must be near 40 right now.I see see nothing that looks like black pudding....the black are the mushrooms, so would say that is not part of the deal even though it is on the board outside. Coffee overheated and had to pay for a refill that was an unwelcome surprise.Bacon was good, eggs done well, toast standard, but no jam provided as well....sure I could have asked but lazy from the heat so did not bother.

post-41989-0-05374900-1398587790_thumb.j

Just went to the Black Swan for their full English (250 baht), read good things here and other people had said there would be fried bread and black pudding so was quite looking forward to it.

Contents:

1 "Fried" (microwaved) egg

1 Sausage

1 Rasher of bacon

1/2 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of toast

Glass of orange juice

Cup of coffee

Don't think I've had the displeasure of being served a microwaved egg before, not keen to repeat the experience in a hurry. Sausage was good, grilled I would imagine, although possibly also nuked before serving. Bacon felt a bit miserly, one little curled up piece, looked quite sad, but props for it being British-style at least. Bread quality for toast wasn't great, not 7/11-style sweet stuff, just standard sliced white Tesco's own-brand level sort of thing.

Not the best fry-up I've ever had by a long way, but better than some of the other ones sound.

Yup, and the black pudding has been cooked so much it has turned into an inedible alien turd. I mean really, i couldn't break my spoon through it. However, i was able to dig out a little bit of dry nothingness from the middle. The irony is that i only really went there to try to eat some black pudding.

Edited by ChrisB87

With regard to the overcooked black pud and sausages, my take on this is that they are re-using partially cooked stuff that they didn't sell the day before.

Whilst I understand that they need to control costs and waste, there is no excuse for serving up inedible rubbish.

I am actually in Pattaya this weekend, and had the regular stop at the Pitini on soi buakhaow.

149 bhat, forgot photo but two eggs, decent sausage, nice bacon, beans, hash or bub&squeak, two pieces toast one white one brown, with two jams, water and orange juice and a hot latte.

It has to be said there is quite the gap now between breakfast value in Ptya and Bkk.

Will continue looking for the decent Bkk value next week

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aussie owned Bradman's on soi 23, Sukhumvit. They have what appears to me to be an English breakfast, according to the pix on a food delivery site. I eat other breakfast items there, not being a fan of English breakfast The bacon is just about the best I've had in Thailand. It's custom ordered from a farang butcher and is lean, thick and very tasty.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I am actually in Pattaya this weekend, and had the regular stop at the Pitini on soi buakhaow.

149 bhat, forgot photo but two eggs, decent sausage, nice bacon, beans, hash or bub&squeak, two pieces toast one white one brown, with two jams, water and orange juice and a hot latte.

It has to be said there is quite the gap now between breakfast value in Ptya and Bkk.

Will continue looking for the decent Bkk value next week

I live in Pattaya and breakfast is half the price of Bangkok offerings but with the same quality and portions.

Just went to the Black Swan for their full English (250 baht), read good things here and other people had said there would be fried bread and black pudding so was quite looking forward to it.

Contents:

1 Sausage

1 Rasher of bacon

1/2 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of toast

Glass of orange juice

Cup of coffee

Don't think I've had the displeasure of being served a microwaved egg before, not keen to repeat the experience in a hurry. Sausage was good, grilled I would imagine, although possibly also nuked before serving. Bacon felt a bit miserly, one little curled up piece, looked quite sad, but props for it being British-style at least. Bread quality for toast wasn't great, not 7/11-style sweet stuff, just standard sliced white Tesco's own-brand level sort of thing.

Not the best fry-up I've ever had by a long way, but better than some of the other ones sound.

Yup, and the black pudding has been cooked so much it has turned into an inedible alien turd. I mean really, i couldn't break my spoon through it. However, i was able to dig out a little bit of dry nothingness from the middle. The irony is that i only really went there to try to eat some black pudding.

I would have asked for a refil, if refused, a bucket at my table, and would have poured the plate contents in there. no balls in Bangkok????

Contents:

1 Sausage

1 Rasher of bacon

1/2 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of toast

Glass of orange juice

Cup of coffee

I would have asked for a refil, if refused, a bucket at my table, and would have poured the plate contents in there. no balls in Bangkok????

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aussie owned Bradman's on soi 23, Sukhumvit. They have what appears to me to be an English breakfast, according to the pix on a food delivery site. I eat other breakfast items there, not being a fan of English breakfast The bacon is just about the best I've had in Thailand. It's custom ordered from a farang butcher and is lean, thick and very tasty.

Will give it a go next weekend, cheers for the tip!

Contents:

1 Sausage

1 Rasher of bacon

1/2 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of toast

Glass of orange juice

Cup of coffee

Not quite sure what a refil is and i shall bring a bucket next time (thanks for the tip).

I would expect there are plenty of balls in Bangkok, lol. Not really my persuasion though, but whatever floats your boat.

Always enjoy a food thread. U lot in BK are getting fleeced, one could get a bus to Pattaya and still be cheaper and better for an english brekkie

Not exactly the discovery of the century, Pattaya is and always has been cheaper than Bangkok for everything.

But this is the Bangkok forum for people who wish to discuss Bangkok.

This is a thread about the best english breakfast in Bangkok, my comment was how expensive some are, and not any better than places in Thailand, ie Pattaya

And my comment was that anybody who has spent more than five minutes in Bangkok and Pattaya knows that the former is a lot more expensive than the latter, and that your comment is somewhat smartarsed and supercilious and certainly superfluous.

I will be in both places next week and look forward to some good eating and drinking.

I went for a breakfast at The Sportsman yesterday. I went for the 325 baht option. It was good! See pics below:

Nice. Gonna have to give this a try some time. Thanks for the field report in what is becoming one of my favorite ongoing threads.

Danny, are you and a few others representing some "special needs" group or are you just winding us up ??

Yes breakfasts in and around Silom and Sukhumvit can be very pricey, particularly when compared to Pattaya. You have not discovered the holy grail, just deal with it.

Danny, are you and a few others representing some "special needs" group or are you just winding us up ??

Yes breakfasts in and around Silom and Sukhumvit can be very pricey, particularly when compared to Pattaya. You have not discovered the holy grail, just deal with it.

why would u respond to special needs, Knuclehead ... Do not support ripoff breakfast establishments...

@wprime:

That would likely be Jools then, although there is a new coffee shop that has recently opened next to Jools in the old travel agency.

@Dannyboy6:

I haven't seen a brekky under 200 Baht in Bangkok and things like black/white pud, mushrooms and hash browns (yuk!) are often at additional cost, e.g., Hanrahan's.

Life in a Capital City, that's just the way it is.

Another place I've enjoyed breakfast in is the Dynasty Inn on Soi 4, Suk. It's an English-American breakfast cross. Sorry, I forget the price but I think it's not more than 200 baht. And you can watch goings-on at Bar 4 etc.

this is from molly malones, soi convent.

best 'fry up' I've had in bkk, especially considering value for money

1 sausage, 2 or 3 bacon, eggs (any style) tomatoes, hash brown, 2 x toast

tea or coffee pot

160 (they don't add tax or service)

post-180282-0-51062700-1399779648_thumb.

Edited by leevanwillem

this is from molly malones, soi convent.

best 'fry up' I've had in bkk, especially considering value for money

1 sausage, 2 or 3 bacon, eggs (any style) tomatoes, hash brown, 2 x toast

tea or coffee pot

160 (they don't add tax or service)

That is good value. (Looks good in the photo too.)

According to their website, the 160 thb price is valid until midday...after that, it's 200 thb, which is still a pretty good deal considering what's included.

Thanks for sharing the information.