windows 7 on new computer

Suradit69

My hard drive on my desktop just died. I have a legitimate Windows 7 Home Premium set of disks and product key that I bought at Tukcom when I got the now deceased computer.

I plan to get a new computer rather than try to resurrect the current one. Can I install Windows 7 on the new computer using the disk and product key I have? I'll only be using it on the new computer after that.

Can I reuse my Windows 7 License key on a new computer

Andre Da Costa replied on November 17, 2012icon_down.png?ver=4.7.0.52

MVP Wiki Author Community Moderator contentcreator.png?ver=4.7.0.52

Yes, you can transfer your Windows 7 license to the new computer, but you might need to reactivate by telephone:

How to activate Windows 7 manually (activate by phone)

1) Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4

2) Next press the 'ENTER' key

3) Select your 'Country' from the list.

4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5) Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6) Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us

Needs to be either a retail (boxed) version or one purchased directly through Microsoft.

Does not apply to an OEM versions as they are locked to the make/model of the original hardware.

Edited by RichCor

My Win 7 64 bit is now on it's 2nd desktop pc after the first one burned the cpu.

I gave the installation disks to Wantana IT and they installed it on my new HP and it's been fine for over 3 years now.

My next pc will be win8.1 op system, it's faster and safer.

I keep the HP when I buy the new medium level gaming pc I am planning to get soon, it will go upstairs as a spare desktop pc.

As RichCor stated in Post #3 - If you purchased an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Windows version it is pegged to the hardware on your computer. Have read on various forum threads that Microsoft support will sometimes buy the story about a hardware change so that you do not have to buy a new activation key code.

If you purchased a FPP (Full Packaged Product) Windows retail version then you can use the software on any computer or transfer to another computer – but only one computer at a time. FPP is considerably more expensive than OEM – and little logic for installing it on a new computer that already has an OEM version pre-installed. Higher end computers are often marketed with OEM software pre-installed.

To buy an entry level computer that does not come with an OS – high priced FPP software for a low priced machine - again logic issues – unless you consider regardless or how many computers you or the warm Thai climate kill – the software will continue to live on.

• 1 year later...

I have a "boxed" and legit CD with Windows 7 and I want to transfer it to a new PC

a. would it be possible to make use of the latest complete Win controlled "back up" on the old PC to transfer

- the Win 7 operating system to the new PC (this should include the activation procedure on the old PC)

- the many applications I have installed on the old PC

b. has somebody experience with Laplink software ?

http://www.laplink.com/index.php

I do not understand how the full "C disk" with OS and applications can be installed without problems with the drivers (so many things such as the motherboard will be different)

[...]

I do not understand how the full "C disk" with OS and applications can be installed without problems with the drivers (so many things such as the motherboard will be different)

This, so much.

This really should have been posted as a new topic, as there are going to be much confusion and questions.

While there 'are' programs that can copy an OS installation (OS, Programs, Settings and Data) to another system, then update the new system with the required OS driver and system files ... I've never fully trusted them and have only done fresh installs and copied over Settings/Data where it could be cleanly done.

If you want to try going down that road, google "windows 7 transfer programs to new computer" and see what pops up in the first couple of pages of responses.

Take a look at your Win 7 disks/packaging...if you see OEM/OEI/DSP you probably won't be able to activate the license on another computer...but you can always call MS and give it a try. I got MS to activate my OEM version of Windows on another computer based on my sad story of early laptop failure and replacement. OEI means Original Equipment Installation...and DSP Digital Service Provider....basically, same, same as OEM.

But if it's a retail FFP you will be able to activate on the new computer although you'll still need to activate by contacting MS. FFP are not tied for life to the device they were initially installed on like OEM/OEI/DSP versions.

Here's another weblink talking differences between OEM, FPP, etc. Link

Edited by Pib

I have a "boxed" and legit CD with Windows 7 and I want to transfer it to a new PC

a. would it be possible to make use of the latest complete Win controlled "back up" on the old PC to transfer

- the Win 7 operating system to the new PC (this should include the activation procedure on the old PC)

- the many applications I have installed on the old PC

b. has somebody experience with Laplink software ?

http://www.laplink.com/index.php

Quite easily as a computer will ignore drivers it doesn't need.

When large enterprises get a whole lot of new computers, someone installs Windows, settings, other programs, drivers, etc. etc. on just one of them. If some of the machines aren't identical and need different drivers they install all of the drivers. Windows will auto detect.

When that computer is all set up and run for a couple days and deemed finished, a program called Sysprep is run on it which strips it of all unique identifiers as it shuts down. Then its HDD is used to make an image which is pushed from the server to all of the new computers.

Sysprep is what you see when you buy a new computer with factory Windows installation and upon first bootup you get stop screens asking for time zone, user name, etc. etc. This is all part of what was stripped out. As the computers boot for the first time after Sysprep they build a unique SSID. Even the one that was built and then Sysprepped has to go through the stop screens again on first boot.

Sysprep is either on your install DVD or you can download it from Microsoft. You really don't have to write the answer file with Notepad because you can just answer all of the questions at first boot stop screens.

-----------------------

Almost new subject and not needed above. I once saw 1,000 new computers boot for the first time with a wake-on-lan signal from the server and get the Sysprepped image pushed to them by Active Directory on the Server, as their subnet was a group it was assigned to. They then shut down ready for a new employee to boot for the first time and enter user/pass etc. and they were golden.

We don't really think that Dell or Toshiba has someone sit at each computer and install Windows and their bloatware and trial ware and drivers and... on each computer they sell???

Cheers

A couple of years ago when I had a Toshiba laptop failure, the laptop was sent off to the shop for repair, and in the interim I bought a new Lenovo laptop and tried reloading the image backup made with Windows I had from the broke Toshiba computer, but Windows would not allow the image reload to the new laptop. I forget the exact wording of the error message but it was along the lines of no-can-do because I'm attempting to reload the image to a computer other than where the image was taken from. I figured it had something to do with Windows detecting the image was trying to be loaded on another computer...and the Windows version was the full retail version; not an OEM/OEI/DSP Windows version which is tied to the original motherboard it is activated on. Guess it boiled down to the laptop being too different hardware-wise. Got the Toshiba laptop back after being repaired and reloaded the image no problem.

Now while waiting for the Toshiba laptop to come back I did use the Win 7 "disks" to do a clean install of Windows on the Lenovo for a short while until I bought & installed Win 8.1, but I didn't activate Win 7 on the Lenovo because I wanted the activation to remain valid for the Toshiba once it came back from the repair shop.

post-55970-0-96295600-1434265925_thumb.j

But from my last job where they use to push new images to the computers on the company network to various manufacturers and models of computers like how NeverSure described above that sure worked but I expect special software like the Sysprep software he mentioned was also involved. Way above my head in how the LAN Gods made it happen without nuking everyone's computers but there was always a few that didn't work properly afterwards but it was a small percentage. For that small percentage the LAN Gods would come down from the mountain to personally visit your cubicle and fix your computer.

Sysprep is a Microsoft utility that has been around for a long time. It's necessary to have exactly the right version for the OS including 32 or 64 bit. It's quite easy to run if one doesn't bother to learn how to make the answer file but rather answers each stop screen as it boots the first time.

An answer file can have all of the info such as time zone, etc. that will be unique to the ultimate user. It can be partial or so complete that it can do what's called an "unattended installation."

We used to get one computer set up, even with Office and other programs and utilities and when it was just as needed Sysprep it, image its drive and put that image on the server. The server could wake all of the new computers on signal from the server (Wake On Lan, a setting in the bios) and push the image to all of them at once automatically as it was assigned to all computers in that group. (Group policy.)

Sysprep is if not the, then one of the important reasons that the Enterprise Edition and enterprise licensing came out - boot them validated. There is an enterprise version of Office for the same reason. It also works with the OEM version but in a different way. They still use Sysprep. The end user has a licensed copy of Windows with no further effort.

-------- I've never tried this-------- I would Sysprep the drive in my old computer and either image it or put that HDD in my new computer, boot it and see what happens. I'd have to think about whether I wanted to install the new computer's drivers while using the old computer or wait until it booted to the new computer. Auto-detect should get it either way. I'd have to wait and see if that Sysprepped installation would be validated in the new unit because we never used OEM. The worst thing that could happen is that I'd have to put it back into the old computer, boot and answer at the stop screens. I think, LOL. biggrin.png

I forgot to mention that Sysprep strips the OS of the SSID - the unique identifiers for the user and the machine. Windows builds a new SSID upon first boot. That includes IDing the hardware and the user either automatically or as stop screens are answered. I repeat that other software can be added before Sysprepping such as Office, a manufacturer's trialware and bloatware, etc., settings, and Sysprep will preserve that. It can even be joined to the network and that will preserve.

These enterprise guys don't sit at computers and install Windows except for the first time. They do it once, add what they want from software to settings, Sysprep that and make an image. After that at the most they are booting subsequent computers from a rescue DVD or a server and dumping that image - job done.

Cheers.

To-day I tried to call Microsoft office Thailand to ask about transfer of product key and activation for Windows 7 from old PC to new PC.

I do not know if any company in this country provides a decent customer service but also Microsoft fails

https://www.microsoft.com/thailand/CustomerRelations/

I dialled as indicated nr 02 263 6888 and then 2 for English

According to the website I could then dial 1 for "Activation" but an automated voice asked me to dial 1 for "home user" and immediately next...beep...beep...beep...

Question 1 : Does somebody know if this is a busy signal or simple indication of a non working tel line ?

Question 2 : If I install my installation disk ..then Microsoft will directly detect that the activation has been given already to another PC...Is it possible to operate Windows 7 without activation so that still can transfer data from old PC (with activation) to new PC (without activation)

Many versions of Windows OS will function in "Trial Mode" for 30 days

How To Geek: Extend the Windows 7 Trial from 30 to 120 Days

"Did you know that you can install Windows 7 without any license key and use it for 30 days? What you might not know is that you can also extend that trial mode to 120 days, without requiring a key."

Thanks !

This is very useful information for users of a new Win 7 operating system (who have a "boxed" CD of the OS)

However if I try to install my CD I guess that Microsoft will detect immediately that it was already activated on an old PC do that - very likely - they will not give me a trial period...or am I wrong?

It is so stupid that the tel nr indicated on the Microsoft website to call for help about "activation" issues does not work at all.

"Did you know that you can install Windows 7 without any license key and use it for 30 days? What you might not know is that you can also extend that trial mode to 120 days, without requiring a key."

Thanks !

This is very useful information for users of a new Win 7 operating system (who have a "boxed" CD of the OS)

However if I try to install my CD I guess that Microsoft will detect immediately that it was already activated on an old PC do that - very likely - they will not give me a trial period...or am I wrong?

It is so stupid that the tel nr indicated on the Microsoft website to call for help about "activation" issues does not work at all.

From whence did you get your CD? Did you buy it or is it a Recovery disc from another machine?

Does the new machine have a brand name and model number?

Thanks !

Windows 7 will run 120 days for free, Microsoft confirms

Computerworld | By Gregg Keizer | Aug 19, 2009 10:49 PM PT

Microsoft allows users to install and run any version of Windows 7 for up to 30 days without requiring a product activation key. ... During the 30-day grace period, Windows 7 operates as if it has been activated.

As the grace period shrinks, however, increasingly-frequent messages appear on the screen. For example, on days four through 27, a pop-up asks the user to activate once each day. During days 28 and 29, the pop-up displays every four hours, while on Day 30, it appears hourly.

If you don't provide the key, it won't know that the unknown key is already registered on another computer.

Thanks !

From whence did you get your CD? Did you buy it or is it a Recovery disc from another machine?

I bought the installation CD from Data IT shop / the new machine will be same brand as the old i.e. HP but I still have to buy later this week.

Thanks !

I bought the installation CD from Data IT shop / the new machine will be same brand as the old i.e. HP but I still have to buy later this week.

Get the full model number before purchase and post it here.

To Jiu-Jitsi : I plan to buy Desktop PC HP Pavilion 500-551x (K5M77AA#AKL)

Full compatibility with Windows 7.

Have identified the Motherboard as the Memphis2,

Once you have the machine, we may be able to install the HP Windows 7 licence to the Motherboard, obviating the need for a Product Key.

If you just need the installation media with a trial to get you started, you can install Windows 7 Ultimate SP1-U ISO (Refresh) x64

Part- X17-59465

SHA1: 36AE90DEFBAD9D9539E649B193AE573B77A71C83

ISO/CRC: 992B8FCD

It's the original Microsoft image.

Then we can run a couple of tests on the firmware to see if it can or needs to be updated to make it equal to the equivalent model released in the 'west', with preinstalled Windows.

In the past you have been able to buy Windows 7, the boxed full retail version in Thailand, not everywhere but it was available. Cost was about 1000 baht more than OEM.

I am curious, how much would genuine OEM versions of windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 cost in Thailand nowadays?

In the past you have been able to buy Windows 7, the boxed full retail version in Thailand, not everywhere but it was available. Cost was about 1000 baht more than OEM.

I am curious, how much would genuine OEM versions of windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 cost in Thailand nowadays?

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8.1 64-BIT ENG INTL DSP OEI DVD 3,790

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL SP1 32-BIT ENGLISH OEM DVD 5,350

Edited by lostoday

Or even

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-Bit Eng Intl DSP OEI DVD 2,990

...if you want to put yourself between a rock and a hard place.

Or even

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-Bit Eng Intl DSP OEI DVD 2,990

...if you want to put yourself between a rock and a hard place.

Not trying to be argumentative but why would you say that?

Edited by lostoday

• 4 weeks later...

hmm quite a bit too much then, I sold mine for about half those prices

maybe I should have asked more ;)