"Big Bikes" allowed to go on toll ways - trial phase. (rumor?)

indothai

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

years to late.

some 10 years ago we used to sneak onto the tollway to pattaya behind big trucks. it was a blast.

the return trip was even easier, you just drive on and when you reached the toll gate they would instruct you to get off at the next exit, and you'd just crank it up to 160 and keep going.

I hope it's true but if you have an Easy Pass for your car you could use it to drive through the EP toll gates. They are usually unmanned. It's a max 1000 baht fine for driving a bike on the Express Way. Pretty cheap if you ask me. I get images of all these CBR's flying off the elevated parts of the Express Way!

'"Big bike" being anything larger than 250cc.'

I guess that would leave out my CBR250.

Rats.

I'd like to visit Kanchantaburi, but getting through BKK on the surface roads is too slow/complicated/stressful for me.

Rats.

I'd like to visit Kanchantaburi, but getting through BKK on the surface roads is too slow/complicated/stressful for me.

I would expect it to mean 250cc and over. That's why I made my comment about the CBR's flying off the Express Way!

Rats.

I suppose it depends on where you start from.

ATF: A CBR250 is a little less than 250 cc actual displacement.

VocalNeal: Yep! I'm on the 'wrong' side.

Actually, I'm highly skeptical that the powers-that-be would implement anything so sensible.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Again, I heard this from my wife who's friend of a friend of a friend told her.... so, it could be a delayed April fools joke.

One thing that did catch my attention was the engine size? Why? Max speed on the toll ways are 80 km/h anyways, my Scoopy-i can do that tandem, heck, with some tail wind I can hit 100 km/h. So, I don't understand the engine size limit.

BUT, even if it's true. it would be a matter of time before some idiot with slippers and a 300 baht helmet goes on front page after getting run over by a 18-wheeler, 5 pickups, 8 sedans, and a 3-legged dog. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it but at the same time..... i'm cringing.

• Like 1

One thing that did catch my attention was the engine size? Why? Max speed on the toll ways are 80 km/h anyways, my Scoopy-i can do that tandem, heck, with some tail wind I can hit 100 km/h. So, I don't understand the engine size limit.

It's not the maximum speed it is the sustained cruising speed. You very rarely see a small scooter sustaining 80 kph, even the express way police on their 200cc bikes don't always cruise at 80.

Add to that the fact that the average traffic on the Ramintra express way is doing 100kph regardless of the speed limit. Unless of course the intent is to lower the speed of the traffic?

Rats.

I guess we could lay that at Honda's feet? They sell up to 250, except Forza at "normal' Honda dealers. Larger than that and one has to go to Honda Big Wing.

Edited by VocalNeal

ATF: A CBR250 is a little less than 250 cc actual displacement.

VocalNeal: Yep! I'm on the 'wrong' side.

Actually, I'm highly skeptical that the powers-that-be would implement anything so sensible.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I would imagine if it says 250 on the bike it would be accepted as 250. Doubt it would cause any problems. Plenty of BIB have CBR 250's. It would however create a massive increase in sales for 250cc bikes. I'm not aware of many current bikes that fill the gap between 250-650cc but it's probably my ignorance. Not too keen on the idea of big scooters like Forza's on the highway. Never driven one but they look unstable and their wheels are really small.

• Like 1

It's not the maximum speed it is the sustained cruising speed. You very rarely see a small scooter sustaining 80 kph, even the express way police on their 200cc bikes don't always cruise at 80.

Add to that the fact that the average traffic on the Ramintra express way is doing 100kph regardless of the speed limit. Unless of course the intent is to lower the speed of the traffic?

Agree, just because they can, doesn't mean they should. I can comfortably cruise on Ninja 300 at 120-140 kmh and if I need to speed up, there's plenty of power left for that. On the other hand when I ride my Yamaha Dragstar 400, I don't feel comfortable going over 120 kmh even though the max on it is 140.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Rats.

I would expect it to mean 250cc and over. That's why I made my comment about the CBR's flying off the Express Way!

Honda CBR 125/150/(300)/500/650/1000.

Hi All,

My wife just told me that she her from a friend that "they" will allow "big bikes" on toll ways, on a trial basis.

"Big bike" being anything larger than 250cc.

Anyone know if this is true?

Can you elaborate on the 'friend' part.

I hope it's true but if you have an Easy Pass for your car you could use it to drive through the EP toll gates. They are usually unmanned. It's a max 1000 baht fine for driving a bike on the Express Way. Pretty cheap if you ask me. I get images of all these CBR's flying off the elevated parts of the Express Way!

Big bikes use the expressways in Malaysia. But them again, the road are in better condition and the drivers a bit more responsible.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

• Like 1

Not sure if there is any truth to this, but if there is then I hope they limit it to larger bikes (500cc plus) at off peak hours for the trial. Allowing 250cc bikes at rush hour from day 1 could cause enough issues that they abandon the project quickly which would be a shame.

I say start off with the bigger bikes off peak only, let it settle and gradually relax the rules from there. That should stop a backlash.

Of course this assumes there is some truth in this rumor, I have my doubts but fingers crossed...

Can't see any recent discussions on the Thai language Panthip site. There was some general discussion last year. I hope the rumour is true and it would be great if the crazy 'left lane' rule was also scrapped as it encourages unsafe lane use by bikes as well as petty corruption. But I can't see either rule changes as it would benefit the BiB or the politicians.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Rats.

I guess we could lay that at Honda's feet? They sell up to 250, except Forza at "normal' Honda dealers. Larger than that and one has to go to Honda Big Wing.

I have a Keyway Superlight Cruiser, hardly the fastest 200cc bike by any means but I can & have often happily cruised at 90-100 kmh all day...

A CBR150 can cruise at 100kmh with no problem. I rode up to my home in Isaan on a Kawasaki Kasi 125cc Scooter from Koh Samui (took 3 days & I wouldn't want to do it again lol) & cruised at 100kmh the whole way so I'd say that you are underestimating the speed these smaller Bikes can do. I'm 6' tall & 95 kilos so with a much lighter Thai on one they'd presumably go faster.. I do agree that it'd be very dangerous on the expressways around Bangkok however & I certainly won't be using them...

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me but if it was true it would be great. And I don't think the size limit is because the smaller bikes can't keep up I think it's to do with the volume of small bikes there are in Thailand. 250cc and above is a lot less bikes than below 250cc. It would be a good place to start to see how the roads handle the number of bikes. Maybe after if its true and works they would open it up to all bikes /shrug...

• Like 1