O visa for marriage

Ok question time,I want to change my triple entry tourist visa to a O visa, I am married to a Thai lady, I have just deposited 400k baht into a Thai savings account in both our names,(needs both our signatures)Money went into bank on the 7th April, so I am right in that I can apply on or around the 8th of June for the one year O visa, and also what do I need with me when I go.

Thanks

One thing you did wrong, is that the money needs to be in your own name (not joint) so to be official for the extenstion you have to deposit another 400k in the same account or get the money out of the account and put it in your own name

Edited by MJCM

A Rough Guide.
(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.
OR.
If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.
If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.
Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)
Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)
Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.
Your Passport.
Copies of everything.
Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.
A map showing the way to your house.
Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.
Take your Wife to be interviewed.
One or two witnesses may be required.
You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.
Go back in a month and get the remainder.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've been told it doesn't matter if money is in joint account or my account, as long as its in a Thai bank account which it is??

You are free to believe what you wish but best have money in your name only if an extension is wanted.

If you decide to move money into an account in your name only the "seasoning" period will need to be re-calculated.

Edited by thepool

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not saying I doubt anyone,Its OUR money so looks dodgy if I take it out and put it in my account

If you want to keep the money in a joint account ok !

Go ahead and apply for an extension you may be lucky .

edit

typo

Edited by thepool

The requirement is that the 400k be yours - a joint account is not yours. Immigration will not normally accept so unless the person saying that they would is the immigration officer that will process you application it would be best to put into your own account first. You can try to convert but you do risk that 2,000 baht fee if it is not allowed and then again when you try to make actual extension of stay.

You do not have to wait any time to make application for change of entry visa so if you change next week (or better week after) to your own account you can immediately apply for the visa change and then 60 days later for the extension of stay. As long as you can show the foreign source of funds there should not be any issue with the account change.

• Like 1

@lopburi cheers,so next week I'm supposed to be doing a visa run,would I be best to knock that on the head and change my visa?if I change my visa how long do I get?3 months or just the 30 days,as if I go to bank after songkran change money to my name I need at least two months before I can apply for extension to stay for marriage

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

@lopburi cheers,so next week I'm supposed to be doing a visa run,would I be best to knock that on the head and change my visa?if I change my visa how long do I get?3 months or just the 30 days,as if I go to bank after songkran change money to my name I need at least two months before I can apply for extension to stay for marriage

If you do not first "fix" the bank account problem it is likely the application for a visa change will fail. The visa change is dependent on your being able to meet the requirements of the subsequent application for an extension of stay.

As it is now the weekend and most of next week is a Public Holiday you may find it necessary to do the border run.

Successfully changing your visa status will give a 90 day "permission" to stay and it is during the last 30 days of that stay that the extension should be applied for.

Edited by thepool

So I change money into my bank,then I can go to immagration in Bangkok and start the ball rolling?will I then get 90 days followed by a year?

Yes

You may care to look at this post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718320-year-extension-rejected/#entry7679642

Question

Would a Joint account with 800k qualify or not ????

No

look at post number 4 !

Joint accounts do not qualify .

Oke but in Post #4 I can't find anywhere where it says a Joint Account (with enough money) doesn't qualify !!

Found this. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/535080-non-o-based-on-marriage-800k-joint-account-acceptable/#entry5073869

And there it says

It depends on the office if they will allow a joint account. Best is to get an account in your name with 400,000 in it. These extensions need aproval from BKK and are under heavy scrutiny. It only needs to be in their for 2 months before you apply for an extension. Than you can transfer it back to the joint account.

and

You likely can get 60 day extension (to visit wife) if they will not allow use of joint account for the marriage extension.

So you are right wai.gif

Ps: The reason why I asked was that we wanted to change all our accounts to be Joint Accounts, but it seems that we have to keep one of our accounts to be mine alone.

Edited by MJCM

^@Nuitum

where are you doing your extension ?? I am doing mine in Pattaya / Jomtien / Chonburi Immigration.

This year will be the 3rd time I will be doing this and I just wanted to change all our accounts to be joint accounts.

I better go (after Songkran) to the Immigration office and ask if it is allowed or not, instead of being in doubt as after all it seems that all Immigration offices make up their own rules

wai.gif

I did my extension in Sri Racha Domo

1st extension 800k due to cannot open account

2nd ext 800k not enough funds in my personal account

3rd ext 400k as i have enough funds in my personal acc

The account must be in your name only. Even with 800k in the account most immigration offices will not accept it.

You need to open an account in your name only and transfer the funds into it. Then get a letter from the bank confirming the balance.

Then you can go to immigration in Bangkok and apply for a change of visas status (TM86 form) but you will need at least 15 days remaining on your current permit to stay to do the application. The fee for this is 2000 baht.

Your wife will need to go with you. You will need all the same documents and photos that you need to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. They will also want a copy of the affirmation of permit to marry that you used when your registered your marriage.

If you don't have the 15 days remaining you could apply for a 60 day extension of stay (1900 baht) and then do the change of visas status on the same day you apply. Or make a border run to get a new entry. Or make a trip to Vientiane for a single entry non-o visa.