Funeral procedures in Thailand?

BKK Blues Brother

You will have to go see the Local monks, they will arrange for her cremation. assuming they are Buddhists. Hope you will not need them, it will cost you a few 1000 baht.

Then after the Monks will come and bless the house, or place the person past away, You will have to feed the Monks and people who come, best wishes

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

I agree with Fred, also you can have it at home or at the temple. If the home can support the activity most people do that. All the volunteers come from the community. If your wife wants to give him big homage then it might go 7 days. My only other advice would be to resist buying lots of alcohol as it, in my opinion. encourages lots of extra loafers, scroungers and gamblers which is not really what it's about. The last one I went to was 7 days and they spent over 5 figures just on water

• Like 2

I've just gone through this with a friend that passed away. In this case, the person was pronounced dead, death certificate issued. The body was moved to the temple where it stayed for three days and cremated on the fourth.

The family normally stay for most of the duration and the monks look after the body. There was a ceremony every evening conducted by the monks lasting about an hour (these times do vary and get drawn out on occasion). The family provide food for the monks and guests, or sponsors from the mourners can also cover a days proceedings (as was the case here).

It will be the family that covers the cost of the cremation process as well as the stay in the wat. As has been said earlier, the costs can vary dependent on the pomp and ceremony shown. I think in the case above it was probably in the region of about 20,000 baht. You will normally find that everyone attending the cremation service will make a donation.

It does change in different areas, but I hope this helps a bit.

• Like 2

Agreeing with Fred, BT and Chris.

Firstly, don't get overly involved ... 'tis a Thai thing, so step back and assist where required.

you can.

The Monks, Temple everything can last some period ... but, from my experience (we don't have much money) 4 days to a week is standard.

Offer to pay a little and my suggested contribution would be of the order of Bt 1,000 - 3,000 ... any more requested is taking the piss.

If he lived in a Village, as Fred pointed out ... check their insurance scheme.

Dress code is Black and White, combinations there of ... unless he lived to be over 100 ... then as colorful as.

sorry mate, can't write more ... baby crying ... hope others can help.

• Like 2

FredLee did a great summary in his post. One thing to be prepared for is professional gamblers showing up and staying most of the night and a few other odd activities. One of the best insights into local Thai culture is to attend all 3-5 days of a funeral, day and night. The neighbors are incredibly gracious and helpful, but there things that happen that just defy description. You can really see how the local wat and Tessabahn or Arbortor rally to help. Quite amazing.

• Like 2

I live in Chiang Mai and just a month ago the wife and I both went down to Chiang Mai University Medical School and filled out all of the forms to donate our bodies for anatomy classes. We got a card with our picture on it so others will be able to do what we want. Saves a lot of money and someone gets to use me one last time.

• Like 1

I live in Chiang Mai and just a month ago the wife and I both went down to Chiang Mai University Medical School and filled out all of the forms to donate our bodies for anatomy classes. We got a card with our picture on it so others will be able to do what we want. Saves a lot of money and someone gets to use me one last time.

Great idea. Does the University handle final disposition when the anatomy class is done? What happens to the ashes from the cremation when the class is finished?