baggage charge dodging on Thai airways?

pachoderm

Hi there folks, back to Britain for a while soon with a bit of extra weight in the bags.

Two separate Thai airways tickets. Chiang Mai-Bangkok, Bangkok-London.
Thai Airways info told me I could check my main suitcase all the way through to London, from CM - great.
I looked into shipping Thai Cargo for extra bag, but too expensive ($200) for what is in it.

I have a carry-on case that will be way over (15kgs) and a camera bag (7kgs).
My question is how stringent are Thai Airways with the carry-on bag weights?
I hear they can be fairly lax, so long as it fits in the overhead bin.
I have seen people with ridiculous size of carry-on suitcases. Mine is the right size but HEAVY.

My thought was that if at BKK they decide my carry-on is too heavy, that I might be able to get away with checking it as a bag, without any of the outrageous charges for international flight excess baggage weight. ($55/Kg)

I also have a multi-pocket jacket that I can load up with lots of stuff if necessary.

Basically my intention is to go over the 20kg economy allowance to 22kg. Should get away with this?
Carry-on 15Kg.
Camera bag 7kg
Misc 4kg in my jacket - plus more if they make me trim down the 22kg.

Well it all depends upon who you get at check-in I suppose?
Anyone care to share their experiences on this?

thanks for your attention!

Agree with tingtong. I've flown Thai long-haul many times and they've never weighed my carry-on.

I know that some airlines weigh carry-ons and can be real finicky about bending the rules. Thai is passenger-friendly in this area.

Just don't strain your back lifting all that weight into the overhead.

• Like 1

I think on all but the budget airlines, you are allowed a carry-on plus one, and many budget airlines let people take what they want. We do a lot of flying, and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw somebody being spoken to about their hand luggage. The plus one is for laptop bag, handbag, or suit. A larger bag for your camera, into which you can stuff all sorts of things, wouldn't attract any interest. Occasionally on budget carriers, where you're not really supposed to have the plus one, our laptop bag has been almost as heavy as our suitcase. Having said that, we rarely carry any hand luggage if we can avoid it, just my handbag which at a big stretch will fit my purse, phone, passports, tablet, kindle and ipod. We have on occasion had to go onboard stuffed to the gunnels, but it's rare and there has always been a reasonable excuse for our doing it. Many people take so much with them every time they travel, I often wonder if it's just because they can. I have to admit I can get ticked off when we are unable to find a spot in the overhead bins for the laptop, often our only hand luggage between two of us, because everyone else has two or three bags.

If you're worried about it, put the bulk of the weight into the smallest bag. Staff occasionally give big bags a sideways look, but small ones are usually ignored. A 15kg wheel of parmesan cheese fits nicely into our very petite man-bag; the trick is making it appear that it isn't heavy.

I doubt you'll have a problem, and you'll probably wonder what you were worrying about when you get to the gate and see what your fellow passengers have with them.

• Like 2

British airways-23 kg in the hold,and 23kg carry on,and cheaper tickets than Thai.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I just checked BA's website and it says, "We offer one of the most generous free hand baggage allowances of any airline ..."

I would have to agree, as it goes on to say 1 carry-on and 1personal bag, each of which can weigh a maximum of 23 kg.

So that's a total of 46 kg or over 100 lbs of carry on luggage.

I'd have to buy more stuff!

• Like 2

Can't understand why people still sponsor old fashioned Thai airways with over inflated prices. If flying direct EVA and BA beat Thai hands down Probably taking a Thai girl who insists on it, so laden with food and it's Thai so it must be the best.

Qatar, always give a good price deal, modern fleet with an hour and half change over in Doha. 30 kgs allowance.

Bangkok Airways to Swampy 30kgs and use of their lounge, with their free flyer bonus card.

Thai's frequent flyer program, Royal Orchid Plus, used to be top notch if you obtained Gold status, which was easier to keep than on other airlines.

However, no more. You are right that Eva is the way. BA sounds great as well.

• Like 1

Do you have a frequent-flyer card, with another Star-Alliance airline, which might entitle you to an extra 10 kgs of hold-luggage for free ?

Store the heavy pull-along under-the-seat, so you don't have to lift it up, into the overhead-locker ?

Next time use an airline with a 30 kg allowance for hold-luggage, and use Bangkok Airways CNX-BKK, their frequent-flyer card gets you an extra 10 kgs right from your very first flight with them !

• Like 1

Can't understand why people still sponsor old fashioned Thai airways with over inflated prices. If flying direct EVA and BA beat Thai hands down Probably taking a Thai girl who insists on it, so laden with food and it's Thai so it must be the best.

Qatar, always give a good price deal, modern fleet with an hour and half change over in Doha. 30 kgs allowance.

Bangkok Airways to Swampy 30kgs and use of their lounge, with their free flyer bonus card.

I regularly alternate qatar, ethihad,emirates as their prices are always similar.....but this time I just realised the chink in qatar and its at doha, their new crappy terminal.

Yes, 90 mins changeover, sounds perfect but not if your flight in is more than 20 mins late

Qatar planes park in the desert a 20 minute cobus ride to the terminal. Add that to another 20mins before you actually get out of the plane and that leaves you in panic. I was at my bkk gate 25 mins before the flight but refused......remember again its a 20 min drive to the plane.

I learned a lesson after waiting 7hr for the next one........not to go to doha again.....its too stressful.

Other than that I usually carry a back pack, no one ever notices it and never weighed, though the english check in agents are awkward sticklers sometimes....most other people are relaxed.

• Like 1

Isn't BA economy seat pitch 31" or something? Don't think I'd want to endure that. That said, I haven't been on Thai for a while - maybe it's no longer 34". I like EVA in all classes.

I think Qatar makes sense in business class as it can be good value. Not sure it's worth the hassle in economy though.

• Like 1

Glad you got your refund via the credit card dispute process, kentb21. For some reason Thai is becoming more chickensh*t in their service. I, too, have given up flying them, after being a Thai Air Royal Orchid Plus gold card member for many years.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

I too am fed up with passengers trying to fiddle the system by cramming obviously overweight and oversize bags , even backpacks, into overhead lockers. Apart from being mind numbingly inconsiderate there is also a very real safety concern

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I regularly alternate qatar, ethihad,emirates as their prices are always similar.....but this time I just realised the chink in qatar and its at doha, their new crappy terminal.

Yes, 90 mins changeover, sounds perfect but not if your flight in is more than 20 mins late

Qatar planes park in the desert a 20 minute cobus ride to the terminal. Add that to another 20mins before you actually get out of the plane and that leaves you in panic. I was at my bkk gate 25 mins before the flight but refused......remember again its a 20 min drive to the plane.

I learned a lesson after waiting 7hr for the next one........not to go to doha again.....its too stressful.

Other than that I usually carry a back pack, no one ever notices it and never weighed, though the english check in agents are awkward sticklers sometimes....most other people are relaxed.

Strange, I've used Qatar a few times and once my flight was a bit late but they did hold the ongoing flight (40 minutes).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just noticed wooloomooloo's and fantom's comments from April. IF my checked bags (not carry on Fantom) were oversize or overweight, pre-paying or courier might be an excellent suggestion, but the whole point of my post is that they were not overweight, as they were the same bags allowed on my entire international ticketed journey, of which this was a stopover on. My ticket contract I attached to my previous post clearly shows what my baggage limits on each stopover of my journey were, and mine were well under them, but good ol' Thai Air refused to honor the contract.
And I second your opinion on people stuffing too much carry on baggage in the overhead bins.

Strange, I've used Qatar a few times and once my flight was a bit late but they did hold the ongoing flight (40 minutes).

Qatar are keen to hold flights back for connecting passengers. I flew out of Manchester 2 hours late with a 50 min connection at Doha. No worries the Bangkok flight was still waiting.
If you Join the Qatar frequent flyer scheme normally after your first flight your on an extra 10kg. Use them a couple of times and its free lounges everywhere when you get to silver level. Great airline.
I have not used Qatar since January but I believe there new mega terminal is open Hamid International. Remote stands and there old terminal should be fading out.

British airways-23 kg in the hold,and 23kg carry on,and cheaper tickets than Thai.

I just checked BA's website and it says, "We offer one of the most generous free hand baggage allowances of any airline ..."

I would have to agree, as it goes on to say 1 carry-on and 1personal bag, each of which can weigh a maximum of 23 kg.

So that's a total of 46 kg or over 100 lbs of carry on luggage.

I'd have to buy more stuff!

The BA hand luggage policy is very generous but you have to fit your 23kg within the small dimensions of the hand luggage policy. To get the full 23kg you need to be carrying gold bars.

Upgrade the CNX/BKK leg to business, and then check your bags all the way through.

By the way, I flew out of Bangkok (int'l) last night and there was a security bloke just after the desk at the gate weighing everyone's hand luggage.

I just showed my pointy end boarding pass and walked past him.

But be warned.

Edited by Chicog

I'd like to put in a good word for Korean Air, flying directly out of CNX to Seoul, for good connections to any number of N. American airports. They don't seem to get all bothered about bags and  weight, and their staff, both on the ground and in the  air, are great people. I don't know about their service to Europe, have never been that way.

Taking the BKK link out of the flight is the greatest plus of all.

Guest jonzboy

My 20 satang's worth.  Some mention of EVA in some earlier posts, a nice airline, but as I recall, they only allow 20kg in economy and premium economy.  BA is the best for anyone travelling with lots of baggage.  For economy, you get 23kg, plus you can buy an extra 23kg bag for about £30.  If you are in premium economy you get 2x23kg as standard, plus you can buy the extra 23kg bag.  However, other than that, BA has nothing to offer for me.  I travel Emirates.  Enjoy a two-hour stopover in Dubai, and you get 30kg allowance for economy.  

Avoid lack of overhead space by getting on board soonest.  If you make the upgrade on a frequent flyer program, this often allows priority boarding amongst other perks, so loyalty can pay.  Emirates "silver" gives business class lounge access at Dubai !!!  Make that a three-hour stopover...

And if you upgrade to Premium Economy, you can double it to 46kgs. Last time I flew with them managed to get an upgrade for 120 quid one way....maxed out my 46kgs! 45.3kgs from memory! Nice new, boxed shiny mountain bike and childs pram bought over amongst other stuff.