This Should be Fun.

The Thai Film Experts tell Me the Black Windows do nothing to keep out HEAT, and Good Quality slight tint is as effective as a <deleted> Tint. This amuses Me as a Tint Hater , who enjoys Ray Bans , and an Air Con that works ... Let the Bean Can Exhaust detractors begin.

I would agree - tinted windows do little or nothing of practical advantage. almost everything about them is negative.

If you reduce the light doing in to the car, whatever the claims by the manufacturer, you are reducing visibility to a lesser or greater extent. This is particularly dangerous in low light - dawn, dusk and night. Just a little less time to observe and anticipate.

The other factor, which I think is more important is that other drivers can't see you; this I think is actually the main reason for tinted windows, they actually say more about the psyche of the driver than any real physical advantages. safe behind his dark tint he (or she) can see you or at least your car but you can't see them. you can't see the face, expression, anger etc etc.........of course this is potentially dangerous.

Anyone who drives in other countries where tints are either banned or restricted will know that time and again you communicate VISUALLY with other drivers........ a signal to come on made by hand "you first" or even a "watch it!" can all be instantly communicated through a clear window......but not in Thailand, who apparently don't need this....despite having some of the worst road safety stats in the world.

I've just spent 4 days driving in Malaysia where tinted windows are restricted, and quite frankly it was a joy to be able to see the faces of other drivers at junctions, or close manoeuvring or any other situation cmd to that where a nod or smile or wave of the hand quickly makes your intentions clear.

BTW - one advantage - opportunist theft; if they can't see in they don't know if there is anything worth taking.

My wife likes to breast feed my youngest in the back so it keeps those who don't like tinted windows at bay rolleyes.gif

I don't follow..." keeps those who don't like tinted windows at bay ".......are you saying that tinted windows give privacy or that they don't want to see your wife breast feeding - if you have tints how would they know?
Edited by wilcopops

My wife likes to breast feed my youngest in the back so it keeps those who don't like tinted windows at bay rolleyes.gif

How would that work?

i missed out those "pervs".... if they weren't tinted they could see ....sorry been a long week lol

But seriously if someone doesn't like tinted windows - don't get em.

Edited by bkkjames

How would that work?

i missed out those "pervs"....

But seriously if someone doesn't like tinted windows - don't get em.

sadly the practice of tinting your windows isn't just for YOU; it affects other drivers as in the reasons I outlined above.

• Like 2

Well i prefer to look at their actions rather than trying to look into their eyes to see if they will put on their indicators before turning

Sent from my LG-P970

I don't think one precludes the other...unless you have tinted windows... tints are just one more hindrance to safe driving in a country with a very bad record

• Like 2

It seems everyone here is looking at tints as being something that only blocks out an amount of visible light.... However, good tints block UV, IR, and reflect heat - the color is largely cosmetic - a good tint doesn't need to be dark.

• Like 2

I had the Screen and Front Side Window film removed and replaced with hardly any tint Yesterday, on my wifes car. It wasnt safe for night time driving .Bloody annoyed she put the crap on. IMHO has confirmed what the Tint Man told me. Dont Buy this Fashion nonsence,its DANGEROUS and Is responsible for many accides here.

• Like 1

I hadn't gotten a new car tint in 4 years until recently, and there seems to have been a big leap in technology or something. The new tint appears darker from the outside but is actually very nicely bright inside looking out. I didn't check whether it was 3m or whatever, but a 60/40 tint looks nice and works at night too now.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I hadn't gotten a new car tint in 4 years until recently, and there seems to have been a big leap in technology or something. The new tint appears darker from the outside but is actually very nicely bright inside looking out. I didn't check whether it was 3m or whatever, but a 60/40 tint looks nice and works at night too now.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

with those shade would it make any difference ?

When i bought a new car early 2004, tints were in the price as a Free thing, yet had to get into a argument with the seller and well as my Thai friend about how dark.... NO I did not want what they offered 80%, after a lengthy agreement come up with 60%... in the end got what I wanted 40%..... my next car still own no questions just if you want 40% fine and that is what I had...

Think 80% on front and front side windows should be band, + yes I have driven cars and pickup with it one

I had what was called then ambulance glass in my Mini. You couldn't see in even with your nose against the window. Handy for a quickie with the g/f in a field gateway even if the locals were walking their dogs!

• Like 1

And then again you could always buy expensive designer sun glasses. If you had tinted widows however, nobody would be able to see them. We also bought a pair of what look like fishing nets that we can just jam in the window when the sun is on one side or the other.

If I'm not mistaken, Thai law permits a maximum tint which blocks no more than 30% of visible light.

Of course like many other laws in Thailand this is a very good law, however, like all other laws in Thailand, unless simply and easily enforced it remains unenforced and ignored. As such and as with many of the other good and necessary laws and regulations the resultant apathy towards enforcement is directly responsible for much of the road carnage and tragic incidents witnessed daily.

My Wife's car and mine have 30% tint, hardly noticeable in day or night with regards to visibility, but it does the trick in keeping out 'some' of the heat.... When parked in the sun the car still gets hot as most of the heat is radiated in through the body work and roof.

• Like 2