Anyone using e85

I was stopping for a fill yesterday and

Occasionally I look at the prices

I seen this e85 for only 25b a litre and was wondering what would happen if I filled my bike with it

(would be near 25+% cheaper but I won't try it until I get the full info whether it suitable for bikes or not etc...

Any feedback more then welcome :)

Unless you remap your fuel delivery, your bike will run like crap (if it runs at all- you'll also risk engine damage), and you'd see around a 25% decrease in mileage.

You can make more power on E85, but not without setting your bike up for it (which may be next-to-impossible depending on what you ride).

There's an E85 map for my bike that adds ~6hp in the mid-range, but I think it's more hassle than it's worth.

Unless you remap your fuel delivery, your bike will run like crap (if it runs at all- you'll also risk engine damage), and you'd see around a 25% decrease in mileage.

You can make more power on E85, but not without setting your bike up for it (which may be next-to-impossible depending on what you ride).

There's an E85 map for my bike that adds ~6hp in the mid-range, but I think it's more hassle than it's worth.

i am on a 2011 suzuki 1250cc bandit so losing or gaining 6hp would make very little differnce to me

if i thought i could save 30% on fuel i would but of course ,not at the expense of my bike

just interested to know what is this stuff and why its so much cheaper that the other 39-50 thb fuels etc

i dont have an owners manual btw .......:(

OK- no, your Bandit won't run on E85 if it's in a stock state-of-tune, and your mileage would drop to the point where you wouldn't save as much as you're thinking you might even if it could.

I would think you could find a owner's manual (and probably a shop manual) for it if you do a search- it's a handy thing to have.

E85 is 85% Ethenol.

E20 is 20% Ethenol.

Gasohol 91 and 95 are 10% ethenol (E10)

Most if not all new bikes are designed to run on both E10 and E20 without too much worry. Older bikes have problems with rubber fuel lines etc. etc. within the fueling system being damaged (corroded) by the ethenol.

Trying to run a bike on 85% Ethenol that has not been set up to run on it is commiting engine suicide. :)

• Like 1

You need 1.39 gallons of E85 to be univalent to 1 gallon of regular fuel.

Your fuel mileage will suffer. In a car in Brazil I used to get 600 kms a tank with E10 and only 450 will alcohol which is about E98 or E99.

You would end up saving about 5 Baht a litre OK that is about 1 beer per tank but...

Add to that your bike is not flex-fuel and ....

• Like 1

Been using gasohol in all my bikes including big bikes for many years and never once had a problem, it's all scaremongering concerning gasohol, what are you all going to do when all Benzine has disappeared? bikes are made to use gasohol with no adverse effects!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Been using gasohol in all my bikes including big bikes for many years and never once had a problem, it's all scaremongering concerning gasohol, what are you all going to do when all Benzine has disappeared? bikes are made to use gasohol with no adverse effects!!

It is not scaremongering.

For a bike to use gasohol, fuel lines etc have to be resistant to gasohol.

Especially on old models like OP's bandit, it might not be this way.

That is why they still sell benzene.

Nonsense.

New bikes have been made to handle it.

Older bike's fueling system (mainly the rubber parts) have not.

One of the Ducatis had major issues with their gas tanks here only a few years ago. I'm sure someone here remembers that.

I've seen a thread on another forum titled something like 'Thai Gasohol Sucks'. It shows photos of the inside of his fueling system after letting gasohol sit in the tank for a while (not a long time, 4-6 weeks or something). Try to find it and take a look.

Type this into google and read the third thread down (GT Rider).

'Ducati Thailand say DO NOT use gasohol in new bikes'

I didn't read the first two.

Did they do this announcement after they covered the fuel tanks under warranty which I dont think so.

Poor ducatistis.

Nonsense.

New bikes have been made to handle it.

Older bike's fueling system (mainly the rubber parts) have not.

One of the Ducatis had major issues with their gas tanks here only a few years ago. I'm sure someone here remembers that.

I've seen a thread on another forum titled something like 'Thai Gasohol Sucks'. It shows photos of the inside of his fueling system after letting gasohol sit in the tank for a while (not a long time, 4-6 weeks or something). Try to find it and take a look.

Well I am talking about bikes that have been made to use gasohol, if you have a bike that is not made to use gasohol then it's not scaremongering but it is scaremongering when it comes to bikes that are made to use gasohol! yes it's best to drain a fuel tank if you intend on leaving the bike idol for many months but a few days or even a few weeks should present no problems!

Glad that above mentioned thread from GT-Rider is from 2011.

I hope the situation is entirely different now in 2014 as I'm considering a Ducati.

So what happens when benzine disappears completely?

That's why I said I hope the newer Ducatis can run on gasohol.

Even if benzine 95 stays for good, it's not as readily available through the country as gasohol 95.

Would hate to run out of fuel somewhere up country with nearest fuel pump selling benzine being 100s km away.

Also type 'Gasohol is shy te!' into google (without the spaces in the last word) and click on the first link.

Particularly scroll down to the before and after cleaning pics.

Edited by Som wat