S. Korean prime minister resigns over ferry sinking

Lite Beer

S. Korean prime minister resigns over ferry sinking

SEOUL - South Korea's Prime Minister Chung Hong-Won tendered his resignation Sunday over the sinking of a passenger ferry that left more than 300 people dead or missing.

"I offer my apology for having been unable to prevent this accident from happening and unable to properly respond to it afterwards," he said.

"I believed I, as the prime minister, certainly had to take responsibility and resign."

The Sewol, a large passenger ferry, capsized with 476 people -- many of them schoolchildren -- on board when it was en route to the southern resort island of Jeju on April 16.

The confirmed death toll from the tragedy stood Sunday at 187, with 115 unaccounted for.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-27

• Like 1

I don't see how he could have prevented the accident, but how he handled the aftermath I can.

Certainly sending the wrong bodies to the wrong families is further adding to the anguish. Just awful.

There is a lesson to be learned here. I hope that Malaysia is listening.

They sure are. The Malaysian PM is blaming Boeing.wink.png

It's the former Malaysian PM, to be exact, but he's an even bigger Cheese in Malaysia than the actual PM,

If anyone should resign, it would seem to be the following:

>>> maritime organization folks who certified that boat as seaworthy

>>> designer of boat

South Koreans are excellent shipbuilders.

Didn't you read how overloaded the ferry was.

This company was well known for overloading.

Accountability, what a concept! Now that he has some spare time perhaps he can come to Thailand and teach the politicians here?

Right, because Thailand is the very last country where politicians don't resign to show responsibility.

I sometimes think this whole sepukku-like ceremony that follows every big disaster or train crash in Japan and Korea is a bit much. It's not that I celebrate politicians who dodge responsibility, but this man would probably better serve the country by sticking around to start taking action to improve the response, while calling in those who were REALLY responsible and getting some better regulation under way to prevent another one.

I think the PM did not need to resign in this case as it was clearly not his fault, but I add my admiration that he has taken responsibility and set a stellar example. Thailand should be refused entry into ASEAN unless is shapes up and people here act the way they should. If Thailand is allowed to go on as it has under PT then it will be a chain around the neck of the other countries in ASEAN.....

There is a lesson to be learned here. I hope that Malaysia is listening.

Different cultures mate. I see three cultural divisions relating to responsibility; Shame, I am responsible; Guilt, I did it, but there were extenuating circumstances which caused it; and Blame, I am not the one responsible. Apparently, the Korean ex-prime minister was Shame oriented.

How illogical is this, she had nothing to do with it she could not prevent it even if she was on the boat. Like a Korean plane goes down over the Atlantic so she resigns because she gets blamed and could not prevent it, how silly

• Like 1