Elderly Irish Man Jumps to His Death in Pattaya

Rimmer

Elderly Irish Man Jumps to His Death in Pattaya
PATTAYA – April 27, 2014 [PDN]; at 12.30 a.m.; Pol.Lt. Wutthiphong Trakulwirattanti (Investigation officer on duty of Pattaya city police station, Chonburi province) was notified that a foreign man had jumped off a building to commit suicide at Diana Estate hotel which is located in the middle of Soi Bua Khao, central Pattaya, Moo 10 Tambon Nong Prue, Amphur Banglamung, Chonburi province, so he reported it to his superior police officer and rushed to inspect at scene together with the rescuers of Sawang Boriboon Tharmma Satharn Foundation, Pattaya city.

At the incident the officers found the corpse of a foreign man who had jumped out of a sliding window above the ladder on the 7th floor. He had suffered broken arms, legs and skull. The hotel clerk informed the police that the deceased was identified as Mr. Kenneth Fulcher, aged 71, Irish nationality, he was staying in room no. 707, on the 7th floor, which he had rented for approximately 2 months.

Later, Mr. Patrick, who was the owner of the room that Mr. Kenneth had rented, came to the scene at took the police to inspect his room. The officers didn’t find anything unusual but they did find some medicines for curing cancer.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/04/27/elderly-irish-man-jumps-to-his-death-in-pattaya/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-04-27

British Cancer Sufferer falls from 7th floor Balcony in Central Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- A 70 year old man from Newcastle in England fell from his 7th floor apartment in Central Pattaya in the early hours of Sunday in an apparent case of suicide.

Police and medics were sent to the Diana Estate Condominium off Soi Buakhao just before 2am. At the base of the building was the body of Mr. Kenneth Fulcher aged 70 who was known to live alone and is suspected of committing suicide. He is known to have been suffering from Skin Cancer for some time according to his Landlord who gained entry to the victims room number 707 which Mr. Fulcher had rented 2 months ago.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/126394/british-cancer-sufferer-falls-from-7th-floor-balcony-in-central-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-04-28

British Cancer Sufferer falls from 7th floor Balcony in Central Pattaya

suicide-31.jpg
PATTAYA:--A 70 year old man from Newcastle in England fell from his 7th floor apartment in Central Pattaya in the early hours of Sunday in an apparent case of suicide.

Police and medics were sent to the Diana Estate Condominium off Soi Buakhao just before 2am. At the base of the building was the body of Mr. Kenneth Fulcher aged 70 who was known to live alone and is suspected of committing suicide. He is known to have been suffering from Skin Cancer for some time according to his Landlord who gained entry to the victims room number 707 which Mr. Fulcher had rented 2 months ago.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/126394/british-cancer-sufferer-falls-from-7th-floor-balcony-in-central-pattaya/#sthash.3m7rBM2M.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-04-28

I cannot recall a case of suicide by overdose in Thailand. Falling from tall buildings, for whatever reason, seems to be the sole mode. Strange

yep, heard many "Jumper's stories" and none for OD.

How sad, though. RIP Mr Kenneth.

I cannot recall a case of suicide by overdose in Thailand. Falling from tall buildings, for whatever reason, seems to be the sole mode. Strange

And yet, poison and pills are the top single method of suicide in Thailand. I can't find a breakdown, and of course lots of people resort to the tired and true pesticide method. But overdose (not counting accidental overdose) is common, the most common of all according to the CDC's figures.

In general, I think you find that most suicide methods are simply what's easily available. Most suicides in Thailand are not "falling" from tall buildings, simple because most people committing suicide don't live in tall buildings. Most suicides in Hong Kong, though, ARE leaps from tall buildings because that is where almost all people live.

A leap is an easy way for a depressed man living on the 7th floor. Poor man, I do hope he found peace.

• Like 1

And yet, poison and pills are the top single method of suicide in Thailand. I can't find a breakdown, and of course lots of people resort to the tired and true pesticide method. But overdose (not counting accidental overdose) is common, the most common of all according to the CDC's figures.

In general, I think you find that most suicide methods are simply what's easily available. Most suicides in Thailand are not "falling" from tall buildings, simple because most people committing suicide don't live in tall buildings. Most suicides in Hong Kong, though, ARE leaps from tall buildings because that is where almost all people live.

A leap is an easy way for a depressed man living on the 7th floor. Poor man, I do hope he found peace.

Perhaps I should have clarified and said farangs

Actually deaths that may have been caused by overdoses of prescription medication are reported quite often here. But until proven by autopsy the cause in those cases can only be speculated on, which doesn't make for an interesting article. Maybe the reports of people falling are more noticeable because they are more spectacular and the cause of death is immediately obvious?

None of which explains why so many people here seem to favour ending their lives by jumping. I think I would choose a neater way, if only from lack of courage.

• Like 1

Ist report said that he was Irish but his name sounded anything but .The owner of

the Condo named Patrick ,I would guess is the Irish link.

They aren't all called Danny boy, in the same way that not all Scotsmen have to be called Robert the Bruce.

Ist report said that he was Irish but his name sounded anything but .The owner of

They aren't all called Danny boy, in the same way that not all Scotsmen have to be called Robert the Bruce.

Aye - or even Jock.

The British passport says " United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". This long title confuses some - several RPT officers have put my nationality as Irish as the focus on the last word. They didn't really seem to pleased when I politely explained either - one even thrust the correction fluid pen at me.

RIP to the deceased - whatever nationality.

My x Thai girl friend still thinks the cure for cancer is some Thai root you boil and drink everyday. She was killing herself based on a false belief and superposition. This is a very slow and painful way to die! I suppose if you jump it ends pretty fast not that I want anyone to die. Life is precious!

Surely an overdose would be a better way to go rather than the long drop, easy to get in Thailand, just to fall asleep is much better

+1...Very strange all the falling from tall buildings.

Surely an overdose would be a better way to go rather than the long drop, easy to get in Thailand, just to fall asleep is much better

+1...Very strange all the falling from tall buildings.

Do you expect them to go the other way ?

• Like 1

Headline says Irish and the background story claims he was from Newcastle England. Investigative journalism at its best.

Also one headline says he jumped and the next headline says he fell.

Two very different things, if you jump its suicide, but if you fall its an accident.

Headline says Irish and the background story claims he was from Newcastle England. Investigative journalism at its best.

Also one headline says he jumped and the next headline says he fell.

Two very different things, if you jump its suicide, but if you fall its an accident.

And if he was pushed its murder.

Edited by DLP

This has a lot of appeal as a method, Unfortunately it is unpredictable, and far from foolproof. Many who have tried this ended up with a debilitating stroke, still alive but now requiring constant help from a care provider. Imagine being a broke, stroked out farang in Thailand. Better to stay alive, try to get your faith back, and not leave a mess for others to clean. No matter what a great life you might have had, the primary thing people will remember is how you checked out, couldn't take the pressure.

Stick around, we need you.

Aye - or even Jock.

The British passport says " United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". This long title confuses some - several RPT officers have put my nationality as Irish as the focus on the last word. They didn't really seem to pleased when I politely explained either - one even thrust the correction fluid pen at me.

The Republic of Ireland is not part of Britain, Northern Ireland is. Hope that ends the confusion.

Aye - or even Jock.

The Republic of Ireland is not part of Britain, Northern Ireland is. Hope that ends the confusion.

erm.... The province of Northern Ireland is an integral part of the United Kingdom, but technically not part of Great Britain, as the title on the passport clearly says.

Some citizens of Northern Ireland may well prefer to think of themselves as British, but I suspect many more will consider themselves Irish.