Thai editorial: Ex-monk's reflection of Thais and Buddhism

webfact

EDITORIAL
Ex-monk's reflection of Thais and Buddhism

The Nation

Yantra's return opens old wounds

BANGKOK: -- Few embody such a gross misinterpretation of Buddhism as that weird-looking guy who has just returned from a long exile abroad. The former phra Yantra Ammarobhiku radiates none of that aura that the popular monk whose sexual scandals rocked Thailand's ecclesiastic circles some two decades ago had. Press and social media photos show him dressed in strange clothing that some may call robes, and sporting a long beard that obscures much of his face.

It's hard to believe that the man used to be one of Thailand's most revered spiritual leaders, and that people once sprinkled his footpath with flowers and many simply wanted to kiss his feet. It's amazing what "fame" can do, and it's startling what "religious fame" can produce.

Lord Buddha had everything before he started looking for ways to detach himself from it all. "Yantra" was the complete opposite, being a man who had little until the popularity brought on by monkhood changed everything.

In fact, it's a classic scandal featuring Thai monks. It always starts with humble beginnings, a disciplined lifestyle and strict "adherence" to Lord Buddha's teachings, but then people start taking notice, leading to an outpouring of veneration…and the rest is history. The Yantra scandal lasted a few months. When the news broke that he was a womaniser disguised in saffron robes, most people were incredulous and the media had to take extra care in their reporting due to his enormous religious and social status.

There were women he allegedly had carnal relations with. There was a girl he allegedly fathered. There were pictures of him doing many "blasphemous" things.

In the end, he was forced out of the monkhood. When he fled Thailand, he left an indelible scar on many people's religious minds. On the bright side, his case emboldened the media and detractors of celebrated monks, and more high-profile exposures followed.

Without Yantra, it would have probably taken much longer for Thailand to realise how many wayward monks were hiding behind their solemn semblances and stirring sermons.

Yantra still enjoys a small following, which is probably harder to explain than his initial rise to stardom. That many people had lost their faith in him is understandable. That some still have faith in him despite all the evidence of conduct unbecoming of a monk raises the question of how much Buddhism is understood among some of its disciples.

It may be a bit unfair to deem him the ultimate symbol of Thailand's religious failure. He may be one of the few outstanding examples proving that men of religion can go astray, but it takes two to tango. In other words, he's not the only one to blame. Without irrational admirers who spoiled guys like Yantra to the extreme, potential scandals might have just withered away.

Many Thai Buddhists not associated with Yantra are still convinced that lavishing alms on already rich temples is the surest stairway to heaven. Heaven is like a condominium to them. They believe that the more you donate to your wat - even at the expense of your family's welfare - the "higher" the floor you will occupy in the afterlife.

If Yantra was exploiting Buddhist faith to feed an insatiable sexual appetite, there are countless others who are using the religion to reap commercial gain. Which is worse? That's not an easy question. An even more difficult conundrum is whether it's right to crack down on one anti-Buddhism form and turn a blind eye to the other.

So, while Yantra is an extraordinary case study, he's also a mirror. Thais can check out his past, look at him now and hopefully see a reflection of what has gone wrong in a country considered one of Buddhism's biggest sanctuaries.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-28

• Like 2

Good editorial that attempts to take an objective look at it. By returning to Thailand in those clothes and look referenced in the article, he seems to be rubbing Thai noses in his materialistic gain as if to say, look at me, do you remember me?

Teach the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic -- then make the books easily available in real life - not just the internet - and the bright ones will rise to the top. Most of Thailands ( and many other countries) problems would be solved by decent education for all.

Unfortunate, but true. This monk perhaps does symbolize what has become of Buddhism in Thailand where the cult of personality is so widespread and conspicuous consumerism within the Sangha is not only normal bit, indeed, widespread celebrated. The temple has become a fairground and a haven for criminals on the run from the law. I am often bemused when I hear this oh too common refrain from visitors to the Kingdom....."oh Thailand is such a wonderful country, the people are so friendly, happy an gentle.....it must the religion, Bhuddism..." Actually I disagree. People's shape their religion to suit themselves. Have a look at how Theravada Buddhism is practiced in Sri Lanka and Myanmar ans you will see a different version than the ones the Thais have re-invented for themselves. The one which has all the hallmarks if greed and vanity. Is that a reflection of broader Thai society perhaps?

I agree with your sentiments about some of the issues here but are you suggesting that Thai's should add the systemic massacre of Muslims to their culture as happens with the full support of Buddhist bah.gif leaders in both of these countries.

Also, Buddhism is not a religion which any true Buddhist would know.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In nmy opinion, all religions are product of fear and ignorance, and are designed to control and manipulate the masses, and buddhism is not different, just another cancer that must be cured with education and philosophy.

My understanding is that Buddhism, in it's pure form, (not the hybrid animist/Buddhist one practiced here), is indeed a philosophy, not a religion. p'raps you should look into it a bit more. Odd post coming from a nik named 'Om', are you Hindu?

I have some knowledge of Buddhism, I went into a monastery for three months, and also have done some research on the Topic, and Buddhism from the beginning was a religion, based in the believe of reincarnation and karma, in fact the main goal or lord Buddha was to free himself and the rest of the people from the suffering associated with reincarnation, yes there is some philosophy in Buddhism and no , I am not a Hindu, I am an atheist ;)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In nmy opinion, all religions are product of fear and ignorance, and are designed to control and manipulate the masses, and buddhism is not different, just another cancer that must be cured with education and philosophy.

Can you tell us what kind of 'Philosophy' you want to inflict upon the hapless masses?

..because there are many kinds and usually conflicting.

As for 'education', you mean some kind of re-education camps as per Stalinist Russia etc?

Suddenly your atheist utopia doesn't look so enticing.

I dont want to inflict any particular philosophy on the masses, what I propose is to give access to the masses to the study of philosophy, from the beginning till now, put philosophy as a mandatory subject in schools, and for education I mean that, education, no indoctrination, I am not communist, I am democrat, atheist and kinda stoic. :)

A number of valid and pressing observations are raised here. Having just finished a study on Santi Asoke versus the Sangha and State it is clear to see how political the original intent of the Sangha has become, indeed multiple laws indicate it is a wholly owned subsidiary of the State- look how that's working out. The social contract with the people does require less adoration and some accountability; I agree. I would just like to point one thing out that is often overlooked from our ignorance or righteous deportment:

Assuming someone did not enter the Sangha with known mercenary motives, there is a dynamic of temptation that slowly reveals itself just as it does outside to regular folk; It is a subtle and strange desire to attach and possess. For you it may be the BMW or a girl, for a monk it might be the new guy's alms bowl, perhaps that higher kuti away from water, maybe adjhan's title (or more sadly, a girl too), Then later, as noted, reprehensible abuse of station with the weakest among us- students and believers. But it's not true that once upon the path all can be managed righteously. Monks fall from grace- thus the Vinyaya Rules and legendary admonishment to avoid declaring supernatural powers. This monk was like all monks in all ages; some fall and all suffer. But it's only the choice to assign it local, current meaning in the context of the writer's critique of modern Thai Buddhism that make it seem highly unusual. It's regrettable, but among the well worn paths of falling as any monk progresses more subtly on their path- desire and attachment blind, regardless of the subject, or level of attainment.

PS- all religion is formed with syncretism. Unraveling the cobbled together Contradictory elements of any religion is nauseating. Nothing is what it seems.

Edited by arjunadawn
  • Like 2

Unfortunate, but true. This monk perhaps does symbolize what has become of Buddhism in Thailand where the cult of personality is so widespread and conspicuous consumerism within the Sangha is not only normal bit, indeed, widespread celebrated. The temple has become a fairground and a haven for criminals on the run from the law. I am often bemused when I hear this oh too common refrain from visitors to the Kingdom....."oh Thailand is such a wonderful country, the people are so friendly, happy an gentle.....it must the religion, Bhuddism..." Actually I disagree. People's shape their religion to suit themselves. Have a look at how Theravada Buddhism is practiced in Sri Lanka and Myanmar ans you will see a different version than the ones the Thais have re-invented for themselves. The one which has all the hallmarks if greed and vanity. Is that a reflection of broader Thai society perhaps?

I agree with your sentiments about some of the issues here but are you suggesting that Thai's should add the systemic massacre of Muslims to their culture as happens with the full support of Buddhist bah.gif leaders in both of these countries.

Thanks for your response Tim. No, I am not suggesting that the Thais engage in the kind of practice you have mentioned. I was merely saying that Bhuddism is practiced differently in those countries. Undoubtedly there are problems with the treatment of minorities in both Sri Lanka (Tamil Hindus) and in Myanmar (Rohingas). My point was/is, that people(s) shape their own religions (philosophies) to a large extent - not the other way round. i.e. did Confucius shape China or the other way around.

A courageous and honest appraisal of the state of Buddhism in Thailand today - and a timely one, too. Free speech - the oxygen of democracy - is increasingly under threat as ultra-conservative and reactionary forces rush to exploit the political power vacuum and seek to silence groups and individuals who dissent from the traditional view of the national religion and other Thai institutions.

With a government in limbo, and with a large section of the public clearly determined to wipe the national slate clean of corruption and cronyism, now is the clearly time for a full and frank discussion at all levels of Thai society about every subject of national interest which exercises the public conscience. Nothing less will provide the concensus needed to enable Thailand to take the next step in its slow and painful progress towards true democracy.

Recent attempts to stifle anti-establishment critics and other rebellious factions with threats of retribution, underscored by the public assassination of a well-known dissenter, are disturbing reminders the tactics used in the past by a privileged elite determined to maintain a stranglehold on power at all costs.

The media has an essential watchdog role to play in fearlessly and accurately reporting on these and other significant events in the run-up to the national elections. Newspapers, in particular, must insist on exercising their right (as in the Buddhism editorial) to comment freely on matters of vital public interest.

Pretending nothing is wrong with the status quo is not going to propel Thailand into a better future.

• Like 2

I once stayed in a hotel that supplied each room with a copy of a book called The Teaching Of Buddha, published by the Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai (Society for the Promotion of Buddhism). I liked it so much I left a couple hundred baht in the drawer and kept the book.

What I see in practice in Thailand seems to me to have little or no relation to what I have read of Buddhist philosophy.

• Like 1

Building Huge statues and have golden temple full or rich things inside doesn't help spirituality at all^^ monks are all sex frustated people and compete with each others in term of possession and powers, buddha will do "hara kiri" if he could see what happens on his name.

• Like 1

Today men needs more then normal, need something new and special that's when devil's enter. Everybody knows the Dubai man did cheat but why he has still gain many supporters the reason given was simple the other side cheated more.

Monk buying private jet, having sex etc doing hiding behind yellow robes which cover up himself from anything wrong, Dubai man are more daring to admit that him who do it compare with those monks hiding under religion but the faith are the same ' HXXL '

Then why do they need all of these expensive 'Wats', paid for by the poor Thai's mainly. A 'philosophy' doesn't require (or need) temples/ buildings; it's just another way of providing for the parasites found in most religions to have somewhere to live!

Building Huge statues and have golden temple full or rich things inside doesn't help spirituality at all^^ monks are all sex frustated people and compete with each others in term of possession and powers, buddha will do "hara kiri" if he could see what happens on his name.

I think that you cannot claim that all monks are that way, I have met a few very good monks, Ajahn Brahm in Australia springs to mind. A great guy and he once studied under Ajahn Chah who is now dead, and that guy was a great monk also. It is just generalizing which isn't healthy at all. Also when the Buddha was around and even until the day he died, there was no such thing as Buddhism or the Buddha, he was just a man, an ex prince as I am sure you already know.

Another point to raise here is that in Thailand it is common for lay people to ordain for several weeks and then return back to their lay life, just to learn a few things or get back to basics and their culture, so you may see a guy in orange robes, but that does not mean they have devoted their life to the dharma

Edited by Tom420
  • Like 1

I think that you cannot claim that all monks are that way, I have met a few very good monks, Ajahn Brahm in Australia springs to mind. A great guy and he once studied under Ajahn Chah who is now dead, and that guy was a great monk also. It is just generalizing which isn't healthy at all. Also when the Buddha was around and even until the day he died, there was no such thing as Buddhism or the Buddha, he was just a man, an ex prince as I am sure you already know.

You are right, not all monks are that way.. but no monk is a free spirit, it cannot be, when you cut yourself from the root of life.. how can you succeded to gain freedom ?

When bouddha was around.. if he existed for real... They might called him "the enlightened one" and he was a GURU, his disciples where his Sanyas , like old tradition in india.. but he gave a different flavor to this a really modern way of looking at it : anybody is the same, everybody is welcome to be teached, there is no need for a right birth certificate to listen and get introduced to his doctrine.

"It is just generalizing which isn't healthy at all." you are 100% right but be carefful also with the legends, never believe it until you have proof of it :>> he was just a man, an ex prince as I am sure you already know.

No i think he was a warrior coming from the north land, he fights and loose the most important things man can loose in life : his family, from there he starts to looks for a solution for himself and followed the b

abas in India, following them until the jungle and etc..etc.. extreme rigourus practices...etc..etc.. the middle path..etc..

But It can be also a wrong story, anyway the "prince" thing seems really unbearable, out of reality.. can you believe someone can live without knowing death, poverty and becoming old, even a child won't believe it !

My understanding is that Buddhism, in it's pure form, (not the hybrid animist/Buddhist one practiced here), is indeed a philosophy, not a religion. p'raps you should look into it a bit more. Odd post coming from a nik named 'Om', are you Hindu?

This is a very interesting point. I have been to Buddhist meditation classes in Sydney run by a psychologist, well know for his work with seriously ill patients in 2 major hospitals. He got his Buddhist training from 13 years as a monk in a Theravada monastery in Udon Ratchathani. I put it to him that the 'religion' practiced in Thailand was somehow different from the 'techniques' for meditation, behaviour and thinking proposed by the Buddha and practiced world wide. Especially in Zen Buddhism. He disagreed.

People pretty much see things the way they want. However it suits you. As most of us are opportunists, it is understandable that 'successful' monks, frequently use their success, as monks, for material gain or sexual favour.

It happens all over the world in most religions. Even a little bit of success gives you a little bit of power and we all know what power does.

It corrupts.

I think Buddhism is one of the least controlling of the religions, but there is Buckley's chance of filtering out ambitious monks.

A good looking, charismatic monk, can traverse a long way, from the 'way'.

• Like 1

All religions and Buddhism, are subject to being 'manipulated' by those who wish to use it for their own ends; some of these certainly are, or were, meant to improve te lives of those in (for instance) countries like Thailand. You could quite reasonably say that pretty well all of them in the early centuries of their existence, educated the masses and ran hospitals and other social care services. Just look at what Christianity delivered up until probably the 12-13th century, after which time, those ruling countries, probably decided that they needed to set up government-run versions. In Thailand and some other Asian countries where Buddhism is the majority religion, I would guess this religion is still delivering these 'welfare type' services.

I do wonder Buddhism following the influx of other religions such as Christianity into Thailand, and the ways of 'commercialised' and fundamentalist Christian churches have gradually changed the way Buddhism operates in Thailand. I'm by the way, an agnostic, but I do however, highly regard the positive aspects that many religions deliver.

You are right, not all monks are that way.. but no monk is a free spirit, it cannot be, when you cut yourself from the root of life.. how can you succeded to gain freedom ?

When bouddha was around.. if he existed for real... They might called him "the enlightened one" and he was a GURU, his disciples where his Sanyas , like old tradition in india.. but he gave a different flavor to this a really modern way of looking at it : anybody is the same, everybody is welcome to be teached, there is no need for a right birth certificate to listen and get introduced to his doctrine.

"It is just generalizing which isn't healthy at all." you are 100% right but be carefful also with the legends, never believe it until you have proof of it :>> he was just a man, an ex prince as I am sure you already know.

No i think he was a warrior coming from the north land, he fights and loose the most important things man can loose in life : his family, from there he starts to looks for a solution for himself and followed the b

abas in India, following them until the jungle and etc..etc.. extreme rigourus practices...etc..etc.. the middle path..etc..

But It can be also a wrong story, anyway the "prince" thing seems really unbearable, out of reality.. can you believe someone can live without knowing death, poverty and becoming old, even a child won't believe it !

It is possible but in all honesty it doesn't really matter. What matters is my practice and not if he was a price or existed at all for that matter. Whoever came up with the 4NTs and the 8fold path etc etc etc was on the right path IMO and that is what matters.

You are right tom420, it doesn't matters "there is only emptiness".

The Anthology of the Patriarchal Hall tells us that in 527 during the Liang Dynasty, Bodhidharma, the first Patriarch of Chán, visited the Emperor Wu (Emperor Xiāo Yǎn 蕭衍, a fervent patron of Buddhism:

Emperor Wu:
"How much karmic merit have I earned for ordaining Buddhist monks, building monasteries, having sutras copied, and commissioning
images?"

Bodhidharma:
"None. Good deeds done with worldly intent bring good karma, but no merit."

Emperor Wu:
"So what is the highest meaning of
?"

Bodhidharma:
"There is no noble truth, there is only emptiness."

Emperor Wu:
"Then, who is standing before me?"
Bodhidharma:
"I know not, Your Majesty."

• Like 2

Everybody's entitled to their opinions I guess but your viewpoints - in my opinion - seems flawed. Buddhism is very different as Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy.

Whilst I would agree that all organized mono-theistic religions are seriously flawed (in my opinion they are the longest running scams in history) and are fed on fear and ignorance I don't think it's correct to generalize all other religions the same way. I do find the notion of worshipping deities a bit weird though.

^Buddhism is very different as Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy.

I think that a pilosophy never build temples.. and people in the street never give gold to philosopher to worship them...

But Yes, on his primary form it's more of a philosophy than a religion, but look at the facts here in Thailand : this is a religion, no doubt about it.

One of the major differences between religion and philosophy is the need for rituals. In religions, there are ceremonies for important life events (birth, death, marriage, etc.) and for important times of the year (days commemorating spring, harvest, etc.). Philosophies, however, do not have their adherents engage in ritualistic actions. Students do not have to ritually wash their hands before studying Hegel and professors do not celebrate a “Utilitarian Day” every year. So, while a person can be philosophical without having to do any sort of practices or rituals, it is almost impossible for him to be religious without doing any sort of rituals or practices stated in that particular religion.

In thailand everything is based on the best practices to get merit, the higher levels of buddhism is totaly unknown for most of the people here, they just follow rules and don't ask any question, it is what it is.. philosophy then ?

• Like 1