Thailand's coup leader says elections expected in about 1 year if peace, reform achieved.

mataleo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Let's hope so for the peace,prosperity and good of the country,my daughter is half English and half Thai, her future depends on the outcome of this current crisis,how could I explain to her that she was born into a nation of Thais who killed one another on the streets of the nations capital in the name of democracy.

So England's Civil War didn't happen eh? Silly me for mis-remembering. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Civil_War

Edited by Stradavarius37

Let's hope so for the peace,prosperity and good of the country,my daughter is half English and half Thai, her future depends on the outcome of this current crisis,how could I explain to her that she was born into a nation of Thais who killed one another on the streets of the nations capital in the name of democracy.

So England's Civil War didn't happen eh? Silly me for mis-remembering. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Civil_War

Your obviously a Roundhead.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No, just a student of history - and a yank to boot. Most "mature democracies" have had periods of internal conflict related to the meaning of democracy for their own countries. Let the Thais figure out their own course and leave your judgments out of it.

Just to point out the English civil war replaced an absolute Monarchy with a Military Junta.

Thailand just replaced a legit Democracy with a Military Junta.

Just to point out the English civil war replaced an absolute Monarchy with a Military Junta.
Thailand just replaced a legit Democracy with a Military Junta.

Love the baiting, but not gonna bite. My point is that every country goes through their own democratic growing pains, and to pretend there is one roadmap for this is stupid. Just sit back and watch.

Edited by Stradavarius37

If they have elections in 14 days or 14 months i don't see what will have changed. The same divisions will still exist. Will the yellow shirts accept the elections ?

Only if the election results in a 'yellow' win... which of course it won't.

• Like 1

Aljazzera

So Skint, you are confirming what the OP said?

Personally, I would have thought that their rule would have extended into a longer period then that.

14 months at the earliest IF peace and order is acheived. This is enough to keep the masses quiet in the immediate future.

I think that there are much larger things in play here then the subjects under discussion.

Two or three years maynot be out of the question ... IMHO

• Like 1

Aljazzera

So Skint, you are confirming what the OP said?

Personally, I would have thought that their rule would have extended into a longer period then that.

14 months at the earliest IF peace and order is acheived. This is enough to keep the masses quiet in the immediate future.

I think that there are much larger things in play here then the subjects under discussion.

Two or three years maynot be out of the question ... IMHO

There is only one thing much larger and your two or three years is a tad generous IMHO.

Well they have rounded up the 'opposition', given them a week to ponder their mistakes and sent them home, without travel documents.

More tellingly, the army has set a precedent here in removing a whole boat load of police officers. I may be wrong but I don't recall the army messing with the police in previous coups, much beyond replacing the high profile chiefs in Bangkok. This has been a wholesale 'slaughter' going as far as to eventually abolish the name Royal Thai Police. In addition, they have dismissed many governors and others from pretty much all the jurisdictions with any significant 'red' leanings. For all this ranting about reform and Thai politics being totally corrupt, I am not too surprised that the army has found absolutely no need to shunt any policemen or governors aside in the great blue south land.

So, with all the bastions of Thaksin support sufficiently swept clean, the army can set a timetable where we can be assured that the Democrats will inherit the earth (again)... up until the first democratic elections (again).

This is how the technique that the "Democrats" use to get their go at running the country. Elections never work for them, so they orchestrate a power grab instead, coerce opposition, and then take years to rewrite one or another constitution to replace the one that they wrote in the first place.

I think that the word for this system of government is "authoritarianism". Thailand calls it politics.