Interim government by September

Lite Beer

So how do you explain

My Thai wife holds a Masters degree

and her family are fro Kalasin and live in an old house where they sleep on a concrete floor

In your mind they are privileged and the empowered elite Issan

Have you ever heard of a Government educational loan available to all Thais where the student pays off from their eaerning after the leave school and start work

I think his point was, unless the masters degree was obtained outside Thailand, it will be low quality.

The educational establishments available on a government loan are worthless.

Which is all part of the plan my boy.

The more you educate the poor.

The more problems the elite face.

Its a shame when they sent their children abroad to study they didn't learn anything about the political history in this part of Asia.

They honestly believe the elite can continue running the country like 50 years ago?

A little off topic but what did Yinglucks abroad education teach her, avoid questions--not be present as chairperson, encourage her to travel as much as possible etc. But her paper was not from the USA it was a subsidiary of Kentucky uni ??? and it taught her to accept family orders. and always be in fashion.biggrin.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to all make some of sense, except that I am not sure about the pledge not to institute elected provincial governors and kept kamnans or village headmen. It seems the clinging to centralisation of power as all previous governments going back to absolute monarchy - King Chulalongkorn created the system we have today, reforming the mediaeval system that was in place before.

Decentralisation would probably give more benefits to the reds than others, even though it was one of Suthep's core demands, by moving some of the bloated administration from Bkk to the provinces. Since Tambon Admin Councils started being elected, there is huge overlap with appointed kamnans who are still paid a salary and expenses but have an unclear role.

Removing the posts of Kamnans and Village Headmen is a giant step in the right direction although many will cling onto their position of power by any and all means.

The army can't possibly supervise all the villages to prevent what will go on behind the scenes as opposed to openly at the present.

That one jumped out at me as well. For those here who haven't lived in more or less rural areas it might be difficult to understand what a bold step this actually is.

I'm pretty sure the infograph means that they are not going to remove those positions, also, very disappointingly, no elected provincial governors.

Love the smell of the Thaksin knob slobbers soiling themselves over having a decent, effective man in charge, because the contrast with their hero couldn't be more striking.

Actually the similarity is far more striking than the difference. I don't want to go into who is more "decent" because that is meaningless nonsense. It's what you do that counts, not your intentions. But if you knew anything about Thai history, you'd recognize Prayuth as one of a long line of Thai autocrats with a plain spoken populist veneer, Thaksin is just the most recent precedent.

Do you do business here? Not a bloody noodle shop or prostitute bar. I do. About 26 million baht per month.

Over the last 2 years I have been going NUTS ready to move to Cambodia or Indonesia.

Now I am staying. Since June 1, things have changed so so so much. Not attitudes alone but REAL DECISIONS.

But what would you know?

Any chance of a Job and a share in 26m THB??? :)

Removing the posts of Kamnans and Village Headmen is a giant step in the right direction although many will cling onto their position of power by any and all means.

The army can't possibly supervise all the villages to prevent what will go on behind the scenes as opposed to openly at the present.

Why would they need to be supervised. If the positions are made redundant there will be no pay and no retirement benefits. Would you work for nothing?

There's payments and payments and not all from official sources

Fair Point.You are obviously in the know. However,the tax payer will not be subsidising the payment.

recreating the country through intelligence and sacrifice

GOOD LUCK:coffee1:

I can understand the sacrifice, the people are giving up their freedoms.

Possibly the junta will decree only yellow shirts who have studied abroad have the right to be benevolent to the poor.

A quality education is the privileged of the empowered elite.The masses do not have access to a decent standard of education, and are socially prevented from benefiting from any meaningful advancement. When will an educated population (an informed electorate), be in the best interests of the powers that be ? Perhaps when the centrally controlled system finds itself falling behind Burma and Vietnam.

So how do you explain

My Thai wife holds a Masters degree

and her family are fro Kalasin and live in an old house where they sleep on a concrete floor

In your mind they are privileged and the empowered elite Issan

Have you ever heard of a Government educational loan available to all Thais where the student pays off from their eaerning after the leave school and start work

I think his point was, unless the masters degree was obtained outside Thailand, it will be low quality.

The educational establishments available on a government loan are worthless.

Point Taken, and agreed, if that is the intention of the posting

• Like 1

I must admit I would rather not see an interim government, I would also rather not see General Prayuth submit to international pressure by rushing things.

This process is extremely important to Thailand, previous attempts have failed because they were rushed and not thought through

Yes set up a reform council to progress the required reforms, make sure it is composed of the right people that have the education and expertise to make the correct changes - even involve some foreign experts on democracy to make suggestions as to how it should be progressed and constructed

The Thai system is faulty allowing it to derail every few years, strong measures need to be put in place to put an end to corruption and abuse of power with stiff penalties and powerful institutions to enforce them

Life bans for past and future abusers and the scrapping of parliamentary immunity

Enforcing transparency and responsibility

There should be no need for a coup to bring those responsible for abuse to justice - those in government should be clearly aware of the Consequences if they break the rules and the law

All of the actions that have taken place since the Junta took over should have been able to happen while PTP were still in government - there is a requirement to heavily police a sitting government and make sure they are compliant with the rules and the law

Lets take the time needed to clean out Thai politics for good

"Interim government by September"

Yes! It worked.

SuthepThaugsubanDec6-621x327.jpg

Fab 4. Amazing! And I thought you would be one of the last to see the light. Yes. We are all so glad to share your joy. Isn't it just a Buddhist miracle? You see with miracles it is not the method or vehicle of the miracle that counts, but the result.

I am so glad you are enough of a man to front up to the reality. So many of your previous colleagues were so embarrassed with their previous foolishness that when they finally saw the error of their ways, they just stopped posting and went quiet. Too embarassed to admit they were wrong. But not you!!!! Can you now help us to work on the last 5 or 6 that remain?

• Like 2

From a report of General Prayuth's speech to high-ranking officials:

นอกจากนี้ ในการประชุมหัวข้อต่าง ๆ นั้น พล.อ.ประยุทธ์ ได้มอบนโยบายแก่กระทรวงเกษตรและสหกรณ์ว่า จะไม่ทำนโยบายจำนำข้าวและประกันราคาข้าว ทางกระทรวงต้องไปคิดแนวทางช่วยชาวนาที่ดีที่สุดมา ส่วนการยุบกำนันผู้ใหญ่บ้านนั้น ไม่เป็นความจริง พร้อมกันนี้ ยังได้ตอบโต้สื่อมวลชน เมื่อถามเรื่องปฏิทินทางการเมืองด้วยว่า จะต้องให้ระบุหรือไม่ว่า วินาทีไหนทำอะไร

My reading is:

"In addition, with respect to the several bullet points for the meeting, General Prayuth stated his policy for the Ministry of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives as follows: there will be no rice pledging policy and there will be no price guarantees. The Ministry is charged with thinking of the best ways to assist farmers. As for the notion of dissolution of the position of Kamnan and village headman, this is not true. Furthermore, I decline the requests of the media when they demand specific, firm calendar dates for implementing political changes."

It is not clear, but it appears that he is not calling for dissolution of the positions of the subdistrict officer (kamnan) or village headman (phuyai baan).

Edited by DavidHouston

Just a small point, called the constitution? Without that nothing will work once the junta is out. The General had a go in 2007? Its a bit early to start singing praise, without seeing the blueprint of how things will work?

Shouting encouragement starts as soon as the gun sounds in the Olympic 100 meters.

It gets more intense throughout until the finish line is past, then mega praise is heard. Lets not get hasty and follow what's happening with relish for now.

Hope the General does become Prime Minister.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Odds on , you will probably get what you wish for.

Right now he might even get elected democratically but don't think that is a likely scenario.

I'm betting prime minister for life!

Putin style?

Who decides on how the Tax paying Thai people's money is spent?

Not so many Thais paying income tax.

The correct answer should be the people elected by those working minimum wage so the thais that pay tax can get money to pay tax from.

Hope the General does become Prime Minister.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Odds on , you will probably get what you wish for.

Right now he might even get elected democratically but don't think that is a likely scenario.

I'm betting prime minister for life!

Putin style?

Did Putin teach Thaksin or Thaksin teach Putin.???

"He assured that martial law would be enforced only if necessary and normal laws would be applied and strictly enforced so that everyone must respect the law and social rules."

I can tell you, the green Barrett men currently in charge, better keep it imposed, because as soon as you turn your attention away for only one milli second, the Nasty nasty, local political color coded rascals are gonna start rallying again without regards to Human rights.

That's a fact...

Who decides on how the Tax paying Thai people's money is spent?

Not so many Thais paying income tax.

The correct answer should be the people elected by those working minimum wage so the thais that pay tax can get money to pay tax from.

Minimum wage earners don't pay tax.

They may not pay income tax but they contribute to tax revenue should they buy anything that is vat/sales tax rated.

Minimum wage earners don't pay tax.

They may not pay income tax but they contribute to tax revenue should they buy anything that is vat/sales tax rated.

Mobiles-top ups-books-fashion-m/cycles-petrol-NIVEA whitening creams-makeup-7-11 shopping-smokes-drink-toiletries-live alone water/electric-pharmacy-

the list is endless so indirect or direct they all pay tax.

Just a small point, called the constitution? Without that nothing will work once the junta is out. The General had a go in 2007? Its a bit early to start singing praise, without seeing the blueprint of how things will work?

An interim government I believe will still work under the military - most of the constitution has been suspended while it is rewritten and will most likely remain so

Your point is making the assumption there are rules in place for an interim government to follow - although like the Junta this is broadly true - it is not under any sort of constitution

I think the Junta will still be in the background acting like a Senate to make sure the appointed interim government does as intended

So the simple answer to your small point is - everyone has to trust them

The reasons for the coup was given as necessary to unite the nation after months of political turmoil, unprecedented rift in society, widespread corruption, nepotism, interference in independent agencies crippling them so they can't function. Coup was needed to seize power to control the situation, restore normalcy and creat unity. That was the 2006 coup. The same explanation for the this coup and probably for the next coup. The '06 coup and previous coups failed despite all their good intentions and people are skeptical of repeated failures. Thailand must wean themself of this paternalistic reliance on the military to step in every time democracy reach an impasse. Maybe this time the General can get this right and the jury is still out there. For sure, Thailand needs tough medicine and let's hope the General can deliver.

A good post Eric. For once I agree with most of what you said, but he is doing really well so far with no signs of delusuions of grandeur.

• Like 2

The reasons for the coup was given as necessary to unite the nation after months of political turmoil, unprecedented rift in society, widespread corruption, nepotism, interference in independent agencies crippling them so they can't function. Coup was needed to seize power to control the situation, restore normalcy and creat unity. That was the 2006 coup. The same explanation for the this coup and probably for the next coup. The '06 coup and previous coups failed despite all their good intentions and people are skeptical of repeated failures. Thailand must wean themself of this paternalistic reliance on the military to step in every time democracy reach an impasse. Maybe this time the General can get this right and the jury is still out there. For sure, Thailand needs tough medicine and let's hope the General can deliver.

A good post Eric. For once I agree with most of what you said, but he is doing really well so far with no signs of delusuions of grandeur.

History really not on the side of the General. I can't name any coup that happen in our planet that bring any good to their respective country. Maybe this time we may have the first in history. Will see.

I do like what he is doing uptill now but the proof is in the implementation not rethoric and the success that follow. I like his tough approach which remind me of my previous PM, Lee Kuan Yew. He went after corruption, law and order, civil servant discipline, police ineptness, jailed the dissentients and straightened up the unions. His method was rough and tough as he shook up the whole system of Singapore.

Kuan Yew did all that and transformed a small island to what it is without absolute power. Imagine what the General can achieve if he is selfless with no illusion of grandeur.

• Like 2

A benevolent authoritarian regime is probably good for Thailand at this juncture. Singapore may be boring but look at how the they have risen since the 1950s. Same for Japan. Contrast that with the near anarchy in the Philippines a few years after Marcos (they've matured now).

The army can't possibly supervise all the villages to prevent what will go on behind the scenes as opposed to openly at the present

I am not able to read it that way. It is in the not to do list with "Dissolution of" Kamnans and Village Headmen. If he was going to do away with them then surely the 'dissolution of' would not be there. Or with that wording it would be in the tick list.

You are correct. As it is written it means that Kanmans and governors will be appointed, not elected. Thus, the feudal system of patronage will continue.

Apparently, Senators will be appointed too and, it stands to reason that, so will be the PM, as in the previous coup, sorry! The same same but different.

If the past is a predictor of the near future, which party will be at the helm of government? Any suggestions? wink.png

Mobiles-top ups-books-fashion-m/cycles-petrol-NIVEA whitening creams-makeup-7-11 shopping-smokes-drink-toiletries-live alone water/electric-pharmacy-

the list is endless so indirect or direct they all pay tax.

I wonder if you don't have a hairdresser?

Imagine how nice that would be doing all you're writings in a direct talk and also beyond of that it would save you many time you could spend with much more funny things.

And please don't forget the hairdresser really likes talks...

The irony is that without a coup that effectively nullified all existing political process , there are now fewer players to consult and decisions are 'easier'. The general has so far proved to be a man of his word, and has given no indication that he is a power hungry despot. Many Thais like being told what to do and like not having to make big decisions. They learn that from school and other places. So it gives them confidence to see some ONE in charge.

The idea of sharing, and compromise with people you don't agree with, is alien to thinking here. You 'either agree with me or your dead'. Your right to have a minority viewpoint is not part of the culture. So whatever political system develops now, and I hope it is democratic, it may well be different to a western style democracy, and that's OK - for Thailand. I hope that The general is the person to see this through and also that he is well protected during the process.

Since the General has complete control over all media and does not to want to be questioned, I doubt any proof that contratics his words or deeds could be printed or disscussed .You are more than satisfied to accept his motives and his actions even though any voices to the contrary are being crushed. I wish anyone well trying to improve life for the Thai people. I would like them to do it in a way that can be verified by a free press.

Perhaps there is no hidden agenda, no backroom plot, no secret deals being made, but if there is how could anyone report it ? Is the only option to wholeheartedly accept anything said or done must be good for all and justice is being served, because they say so ? They do have the guns and they are the absolute rule of law so they must be right.I would never say otherwise in this enviorment.

• Like 2

Thailand averages a coup every 5/6 years. This one is no different and will yet again only temporarily silence the will of the people.

They have tasted democracy and free elections so trying to impose a chinese style of appointed rulers is unlikely to be sustainable.

Farangs here bang on about Thai corruption as if it is something special and use it a an excuse to support totalinarism when in fact their home countries are no better. Everything in Italy, the EU farming handouts, US system of lobbying you name it is just a question of money dictating policy and who benefits. Giving the people the vote makes them feel better but alters little. Taking it away, as the junta is doing, just agrivates things. That is the real problem here. Everyone wants a big face and is not content to be the hidden power.

• Like 1