Thai campaign to stop violation of non-smoking zones

webfact

Campaign to stop violation of non-smoking zones
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- ABOUT TWO-THIRDS of the designated non-smoking areas saw people puffing cigarettes despite the risk of a Bt2,000 fine, especially at markets, bus terminals and stadiums, the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) said yesterday.

As of last year, Thailand had 10.8 million smokers.

ThaiHealth manager Krisada Reung-areerat has launched a campaign urging volunteers to reclaim the non-smokers' right and to reduce second-hand smoking by 10 per cent.

The campaign comprises making available no-smoking stickers, a phone application (available from Friday) to let people check-in and post photos of no-smoking areas at www.nonsmokersright.com, and a TV ad to be launched today.

The foundation and Mahidol University's Institute for Population and Social Research did a survey on 2,089 people aged 15-64 from February to March and found two-thirds of the no-smoking areas were violated. The most violated places were market (73.61 per cent), transport hubs and bus stops (72.66 per cent) and stadiums (67.88 per cent).

Only 45 per cent of the people were aware of areas where smoking is banned while 46 per cent said they saw no-smoking signs at such areas.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-19

• Like 2

As a smoker, I do not smoke in areas that are smoke free. The problem I have is the use of incense in unlimited quantity and fireworks. When you go to the naval monument at the top of the hill in Pattaya, smoking is not allowed, but there are a thousand burning incense sticks and maybe somebody setting off a pack of a thousand fireworks. But no, no, no, smoking allowed.

4210776829_3aa55eafde.jpg

Thai smokers are pretty good at respecting non-smoking areas, but I guess the latest non-smoking areas, which include many partially outdoor areas such as bus stops and markets are the types of places where traditionally they were allowed to smoke. I believe it will only be a matter of time, along with tougher enforcement before all attempts at smoking in those places will cease.

• Like 1

According to Tabacco Controls Laws organization, Thailand became a Party to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control on November 8, 2004.

Smoke Free Places: Smoking is prohibited in almost all indoor public places, indoor workplaces, and public transport. However, smoking may be permitted in hotel guest rooms, international airports may have designated smoking areas, and non-air conditioned facilities serving food and/or drinks are smoke free only in the areas where food and/or drinks are served. Smoking is prohibited in the following outdoor places: facilities for exercise, sports training, sports playing, and sports competitions of every kind, public parks, zoological parks, and amusement parks, children’s playgrounds, and markets.

I know perhaps wishful thinking, but it would be wonderful, as part of the reform process, that these laws were reinforced and respected once again .whistling.gif

Source; http://www.tobaccocontrollaws.org/legislation/country/thailand/summary

For the most part they are, at least there is a sort of self-compliance in effect in Thailand from my own observations. It gets to me when I see foreigners breaking the rules though. In Ao Nang, Krabi over a month ago around the May Day holidays there were a ton of Malaysians in town. We went to have dinner at a famous Thai seafood restaurant mostly full of Thai customers, but with the odd foreigners including Malaysians also eating there. Behind us was a large family group of Chinese-Malaysians. Out of the group, there was only one smoker, but that guy proceeded to light up while still seated (although he did go outside to have the rest of his cigarette but he shouldn't have been lighting up BEFORE leaving his seat) - mind you this was not in the main part of the restaurant and it was partially open air, but Thai smokers would only consider smoking if they were seated at a table well outside the main restaurant and then only if it was made clear that smoking was permitted in that area.

I have also seen foreign smokers, western and Asian, smoking at the gates of Chatuchak weekend market and then being caught by the police and threatened with a 2000 Baht fine, or made to pickup some garbage instead. Always makes me snicker when I see that. And seriously though, westerners who mostly come from countries with low smoking rates and strict anti-smoking laws on par with or even stricter than those of Thailand should know better. Unless the "westerners" I saw were actually Russian, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

"The campaign comprises making available no-smoking stickers, a phone application (available from Friday) to let people check-in and post photos of no-smoking areas..."

In my experience, most of the smokers lighting up in restaurants and other areas with no smoking signs are foreigners. Most of the time it is only one or two people smoking, forcing everyone else has to endure their second hand smoke. Asking them politely to please refrain from smoking since it is spoiling my meal, I am usually told to F- OFF. Or, if they don't smoke inside, they are smoking at the front entrance. So everyone entering has to inhale their smoke. The proprietors of these establishments are very accommodating and provide ashtrays, putting their profits above the health needs of their non smoking patrons.

Perhaps if the owners of these businesses were fined 10,000 baht when they enable someone to smoke, that would encourage them to obey and enforce the non smoking ban, instead of the government having to hire extra personnel to police these areas.

The restaurant proprietors should be more vocal and assertive. Either tell them to stop smoking or <deleted> off, especially when foreigners are concerned as you say. I too have mostly seen foreigners disobeying the no smoking signs rather than Thais. It's not that there are no Thai smokers (although smoking rates would naturally be expected to be lower in Thailand, a country with fairly strong anti-smoking laws than in countries like China which has weak anti-smoking legislation) but it's that the Thais are more polite, more considerate of others and that their actions are more in line with self-compliance to the laws than with strong enforcement per se. Either way, it's this positive attitude amongst the Thais that many of us greatly respect - obeying traffic laws are an entirely different beast, but I digress. It abhors me when I see ignorant foreigners smoking away in a country like Thailand, which should be commended as being probably amongst the top developing countries in the world, when it comes to anti-smoking legislation.

I smoke myself but if outside in the open and alone who cares right? I don't smoke inside my condo or allow anyone to smoke inside my condo on the balcony is fine. But you got people here who burn trash in there yards daily that is an issue with me.

As a smoker, I do not smoke in areas that are smoke free. The problem I have is the use of incense in unlimited quantity and fireworks. When you go to the naval monument at the top of the hill in Pattaya, smoking is not allowed, but there are a thousand burning incense sticks and maybe somebody setting off a pack of a thousand fireworks. But no, no, no, smoking allowed.

It has ideological reasons...social engineering.....to teach people to not smoke because their masters don't want it.

It is not about the smoke itself.

• Like 1

They have had almost ten years to educate the Thailand smokers on where to smoke and where not to smoke, I have been to restaurants in Bangkok where people were allowed to smoke and also in some bars where people were smoking inside I think if the bar owners and restaurant owners were given large 50K + non appeal fines this breaking of the law would stop, I also think the whole system of fines in Thailand for minor offences is far too small and not any deterrent to anyone just give the corrupt policeman a few hundred baht criminal avoids any proper punishment.

What annoys me is the people who sit outside of Starbucks, don't buy a drink, but do smoke and drop their ash on the ground. I'd like to these scum buckets fined 2000 baht. And by the way, they are always foreigners, I've so far not seen one Thai do this.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

What annoys me is the people who sit outside of Starbucks, don't buy a drink, but do smoke and drop their ash on the ground. I'd like to these scum buckets fined 2000 baht. And by the way, they are always foreigners, I've so far not seen one Thai do this.

Can I ask, why this annoys you much.

I fear u might be over reacting a little.

• Like 1

If you already have an idea about his over reaction, why the hell do you ask? Just want to start an argument, don't you?

• Like 1

My Ex used to complain about my smoking all the while smoke was billowing through the house from people burning garbage (including her family) all around us. The smell of burning tobacco 20 feet away, I am endangering everyone's health. Clouds of smoke from burning plastic, not an issue. :-)

First, I don't like cigarette smoke blowing in my face. Second, I don't like people who sit at tables and chairs belonging to a business without buying a drink. It's just disrespectful. If it was my business I would kick them out. The combination of the two is especially annoying. And if somebody does insist on sitting down for a smoke in a non smoking area without buying a drink then at least have some consideration for other people there.

• Like 1

If you already have an idea about his over reaction, why the hell do you ask? Just want to start an argument, don't you?

You are worried about ash on the floor in a country like Thailand which is literally littered with litter.

Of all the issues around smoking, ash on the floor is a relatively new one on me. As for people not buying a drink, are you a Starbucks franchisee or something?

First, I don't like cigarette smoke blowing in my face. Second, I don't like people who sit at tables and chairs belonging to a business without buying a drink. It's just disrespectful. If it was my business I would kick them out. The combination of the two is especially annoying. And if somebody does insist on sitting down for a smoke in a non smoking area without buying a drink then at least have some consideration for other people there.

Read your post. You moaned about ash on the floor..... Not smoke in your face.

Read your post. You moaned about ash on the floor..... Not smoke in your face.

Let's make it simple for you....I don't like either....I don't like people flicking ash near me and I also don't like their smoke...if you want to know how much I don't like it then sit next to me and light up and you'll find out when you discover which of your orifices I stuff your cigarette up....and if there are other things I don't like about people who smoke near me in non smoking cafés then you might find out at that time....

Edited by paddyjenkins

As a smoker, I support such campaigne against those who gave most of us a bad name.

Since there is a app which you can upload picture of smoking violation, I would suggest that an additional law is passed to fine the estabishment for failing to enforce the smoking ban if picture uploaded was happening inside their estabishment, this would definately make business owner or management more actively enforcing the smoking ban in these area.

Edited by Roychua

Since there is a app which you can upload picture of smoking violation, I would suggest that an additional law is passed to fine the estabishment for failing to enforce the smoking ban if picture uploaded was happening inside their estabishment, this would definately make business owner or management more actively enforcing the smoking ban in these area.

And it would make the owner of competing business next door pop up for a fag & selfie every 15 mins biggrin.png

As a smoker, I support such campaigne against those who gave most of us a bad name.

I don't mind people smoking in general, it's their choice. I smoke once in a while myself. All I mind is smokers who disregard their environment and the people in it.

• Like 1