Duck Fat Fries sprinkled with chocolate seasoning and ...

sarcasmalert.gif

I'm pretty sure this is not yet available in Thailand, but maybe if we all start asking for it whenever we're eating out ...

OMG, chocolate fried chicken

Fried chicken's been coated in some crazy things, but only in L.A. could a super-trendy new restaurant concept thrive by coating it in — sorry, Colonel Sanders — chocolate.

ChocoChicken only has been open a week, but it's already got the buzz — and plans to expand.

The free-range chicken isn't fried in chocolate oil. It's lightly coated with a special cooking chocolate made from bittersweet cocoa, and fries up a shade of chocolate brown.

"Sure, it sounds super goofy," says Adam Fleischman, co-founder of ChocoChicken, which opened last week near the Staples Center in Los Angeles and plans another location this year in Santa Monica, Calif. "But it doesn't taste goofy. It tastes amazing."

Not enough chocolate? Douse your chicken with Chocolate Ketchup. Side dishes include White Chocolate Mashed Potatoes and Duck Fat Fries sprinkled with chocolate seasoning. Chocoholics also can order Electric Chocolate S'mores for dessert. An entree of of two pieces of chicken and fries goes for about $15, slightly more for all-white meat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/06/23/chocolate-fried-chicken-chocochicken-trendy-restaurants/11260575/

Edited by Suradit69

It sounds terrible, but so did pineapple on pizza. Sometimes strange combinations work.

"White Chocolate Mashed Potatoes and Duck Fat Fries "

"It sounds terrible ..."

No argument there.

The first time I had pineapple on pizza (and coincidentally the last time) was in Durban, South Africa quite a few years ago. I assumed it was some local thing at the time. It wasn't all that bad I suppose, but not something that ever appealed to me. I guess some people like deep-fried Twinkies too, but that's another road I will leave untrod.

Edited by Suradit69

I really looked down on what we called Hawaiian pizza - a cheese and tomato base with toppings of smoked ham and pineapple and mushrooms - for quite a few years, but when I actually tried it, it was great and it became a frequent order. That was in San Francisco though, where pizza is much better than here. I don't mind it in Thailand, but don't ever order it either.

I really looked down on what we called Hawaiian pizza - a cheese and tomato base with toppings of smoked ham and pineapple and mushrooms - for quite a few years, but when I actually tried it, it was great and it became a frequent order. That was in San Francisco though, where pizza is much better than here. I don't mind it in Thailand, but don't ever order it either.

"That was in San Francisco though, where pizza is much better than here."

I'm originally from Chicago (suburbs actually) where we assume some ethnic cuisines, particularly Italian, were raised to perfection and even pizzas from Milwaukee, New York or SF would be looked down upon ... at least decades ago when I was there. Back then if someone went into a pizzeria in the 'hood and requested pineapple on a pizza it wouldn't have been well received. I suppose these days anything can be expected in the chain pizza outlets, but I expect/hope the "real" Italian restaurants might draw the line at that. At least I'd like to believe that, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Edited by Suradit69

Chicken mole has been around for ages. Serving chicken coated in chocolate sauce is one of my favorite Mexican dishes. I habe never had it since I moved here 16 years ago.

Pizza in the US depends on where you llive, just like it is in any other country. When in NY you order a "slice" not a piece and when you get it you fold it over before you take a bite, not easy with Chicago style pizza.

Edited by wayned

I agree about the pizza. I lived in 8 states in the US before coming here and the pizza was great everywhere, but of different styles. The last place was in Lake Forest California, and the best pizza was in Biagios Italian restaurant in the strip mall on the corner of Murilands Blvd, and Rodge Route Dr. That was 16 years ago and i remember it well but it took me 10 minutes to find my glasses so that I could write this.

Chicken mole has been around for ages. Serving chicken coated in chocolate sauce is one of my favorite Mexican dishes. I habe never had it since I moved here 16 years ago.

I understand that chocolate is a popular addition to many mexican dishes. I did once try some plain dark chocolate in a beef casserol....can't say I was impressed though.