should my employer be paying for WP

I work at a govt uni. Its not in my contract that they pay the 2k fee for the WP and thus I assume Im dreaming that they will pay for it out of good will.

Please advise if you had to pay the fee at the labour office or did your uni pay

cheers big ears.

Many schools have paid for visas, visa extensions and work permits in the past and then had the teacher resign or walk out with no notice. A sensible school would make the teacher pay and then refund the cost conditionally on the successful completion of the terms and conditions of the teacher's employment contract.

Well, you are responsible for your visa, thus your W.P. is an official document on the lines of legalising your employment situation as is your visa in enabling your resident status. If you have to pay for the W.P. so be it.

Many employers do pay for the W.P. due probably in fact that past employee's have not nipped off with nary a word hence trust is established. Other employers have had bad experiences thus they expect you to pay for the W.P. indeed it is a case of Murphy's Law on this matter.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Would of thought that any decent employer would pay for the WP to be honest

I have had several work permits from several Thai universities, In most cases the admin. staff mentioned that:

- They would prepare and lodge all the application forms and then take me to pick up the completed work permit at the labour ministry. They also asked me to get a medical certificate (my expense) and take that for hand over to the labour ministry staff when we picked up the WP.

- By the ministerial regulations all lecturers / teachers must pay the actual fee.

Perhaps others have had some different experience.

Many schools have paid for visas, visa extensions and work permits in the past and then had the teacher resign or walk out with no notice. A sensible school would make the teacher pay and then refund the cost conditionally on the successful completion of the terms and conditions of the teacher's employment contract.

Many employees have paid to come to a new country, put down a rent deposit, then pay for their own work permit, then be let go from their job because of economic slowdowns, or because they weren't what the employer was hoping for.

The risk works both ways... but for some reason, these days people tend to side with the company rather than the employee.

Where I work, the employee is responsible for getting the correct visa to process the Work Permit (usually a non-immigrant B). All costs associated with the visa are the responsibility of the employee. Once the employee has the visa, the school takes over and gets the Work Permit and Provisional Teacher's License and pays any costs. If the teacher gets a 5 year license, the teacher must pay for that, since it is actually the Teacher's own license. The provisional license is for that teacher to work at our particular school.

Different places have different regulations, and the important thing is that they be spelled out to the employee and that everybody is clear on who is responsible for what.

Would of thought that any decent employer would pay for the WP to be honest.

After having previous work permits which my school paid for, I was offered and accepted a teaching job at a local school, the Head of the English Dept took me to the labour office for a work permit for which I was granted, the H of the ED then asked me for 3000 Baht (not 2000 Baht), I refused saying the school should pay it, I was told no. I have not worked since.

"would of thought..."

I know pedants aren't encouraged here but that makes me cringe.

If I got paid 30k a month and paid for my own WP my grammar would be so much better

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agree with you. But it's 3.100 baht for one year.

So the price of the WP has gone up in the last two years.

You pay 100 Baht when you hand in your application and 3000 Baht when you pick up your work permit, but different offices could have different procedures.

My university spelled this issue out in detail in the contact - and pretty fairly in my opinion.

I was responsible for the initial visa cost; but if I fulfilled the first (one year) contract, this cost would be returned to me.. If I chose to renew (assuming such was offered to me) *and* if I needed a new or different visa, then they would pay for that.. But the "first" one was only reimbursed after-the-fact.

They paid (gave me cash before the event) for the WP itself, the extension of stay, medical cert, krusapa paperwork and photo..

All I've paid, and won't be reimbursed for is any re-entry permits that I may elect to get..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Very Logical.

But if a teacher leaves - the WP is cancelled right?

And why do so many leave without notice...?