Giving birth in Bangkok

ryanhull

Hi All,

My fiance is due to give birth in 6 months, we have been going to bangkok international hospital for checkups/ultra scans etc and it is getting quite expensive, first few times was not too bad but today we went for a quick check up and it was 7,000bhat for the doctor to bassicly feel her stomach and give her a tub of vitimins, really I could have done that! :) good news is the baby seems to be developing well but I am now starting to think ahead for a hospital to give birth at.

I was previous considering going to her home town mahasarakham however the standard of hospitals doesnt seem great there albeit not bad just not what I was hoping for in terms of clean/modern.

I have got some prices from Bumrungrad which are 73,000Tb for a standard delivery with no complications etc, although that is not too bad from what I was expecting its still quite expensive and if any complications could get very expensive.

I have also today asked Bangkok International and they are coming out about the same with all the hidden costs included, around 47,000Tb delivery + 25,000Tb drugs + 9,000 for something else? bassicly they are a bit sneaky with the extra costs in small writing which are not very clear all in all both seem to be around the same price give or take.

I am prepared to pay this obviously yet at the same time if I can find a clean/modern alternative for cheaper I would definitly be intrested... I am not rich or poor but really I do want to save as much cash as possible more for the baby/future and from what people tell me if its a clean delivery 73,000+ bhat is alot...

My questions is does anyone know of any decent hospitals in Bangkok which are clean and modern which come in cheaper? I bassicly want to get prices of all the hospitals and take a drive round to them to compare, any advice welcome guys and thanks in advance.

I assume you are aware that she can get a free delivery at a government hospital, and just prefer to pay for private care?

If so then St Louis is a good choice, as also is Bangkok Christian Hospital

St Louis - 36,900 for vaginal delivery, 54,000 for c-section http://www.saintlouis.or.th/program/show_detail.php?Package_ID=188

Bkk Christian - package price not listed on website, call Ob0Gyn dept 02 625 9000, 02 235 1000 ext. 30230-1

Both hospitals have neonatal intensive care facilities which is an important consideration. Though if it should be needed you would do well to transfer to a government hospital ASAP as even in these non-profits, costs for NICU care will quickly become prohibitive.

Mate, I'm yet to finish penning this but have done a basic guide to my experience of being the Dad who's partner gave birth in a Private Hospital in Bangkok.

private-hospital-childbirth

Experiences of childbirth in a middle level Private Hospital.

What to expect in terms of

• costs,
  • service,
  • value for money,
  • competence
  • what to take to the Hospital
  • after delivery services

How to choose the right place.

Written from a Male perspective.

Not an exhaustive list, but it gives you a feel for things to discuss.

We didn't go to the St Louis in central Bangkok, but I'm yet to read anything bad about them.

Bumrungrad is really, really expensive. Quality ... sure, but there are cheaper and still excellent alternative options.

Good luck with it all.

Feel free to ask any questions.

OH ... pre-natal check-ups were Bt 600, plus a little bit of medication.

But it's a wonderful experience!

This is what awaits you ...

Mixphotos_zpsf48a1fe8.gif

Get and enjoy some sleep now ... in 6 months time ... that will be but a distant memory ... w00t.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

Go to Mahasarakham use the government hospital for free, if there are any complications she is less than an hour from the University Hospital in Khon Kaen, plus she will have her family nearby for support.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Go to Mahasarakham use the government hospital for free, if there are any complications she is less than an hour from the University Hospital in Khon Kaen, plus she will have her family nearby for support.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had one in Bamrungrad and they are a total rip off, - they say that there are complications but nothing serious. better to wait a few days though as they have empty rooms or free incubators with a full staff. bad experience all round.

They also charge 300 baht for every TIME my wife used the breast pump. Nice rooms but...

Another one in Khon Kaen government hospital a much happier experience and also being in a govt hospital is better if there are any complications.

7000 baht for a consulation is a total waste of money.

When I lived in Bangkok I knew two women who were very very rich. Both had daughters who were doctors and both chose to give birth in Chulalongorn Hospital.despite living on the same soi as Samitivej and having 100s of millions of baht.

Edited by Neeranam

Two things from the above post.

It's my understanding that if you choose a Government Hospital, you won't be allowed in the birthing room (the reason given is that more then one woman wil be giving birth in that room).

But also don't underestimate the value and meaning to the broader family and friends who would want to be with your Partner during this special time and theat they may not be able to easily or affordably stay in Bangkok during this time.

Two things from the above post.

It's my understanding that if you choose a Government Hospital, you won't be allowed in the birthing room (the reason given is that more then one woman wil be giving birth in that room).

But also don't underestimate the value and meaning to the broader family and friends who would want to be with your Partner during this special time and theat they may not be able to easily or affordably stay in Bangkok during this time.

That is definitely true but it is also true in many private hospitals - not Thai custom to have father present. In a private hospital however it is possible provided the doctor agrees. Would have to be discussed in advance.

• 3 months later...

Hello I am in my early pregnancy and going through the scanning process of the ob/gyn available in Bangkok and nonthaburi. Could anyone advice me ab the govt. hospitals like siriraj or chula. If you have any experience with any ob/gyn there or something and the approximate price range. I really wanna do a natural birth if everything is alright. Thanks.

P.S First time pregnant and really nervous

With government hospitals there is a "pubiic channel"and often also a "private channel".

In the public channel:

1 It is very inexpensive - probably less than 10,000 baht for a normal delivery, BUT:

2. You cannot choose your doctor and will not have the same doctor for your various check-ups let alone check-ups and the delivery.

3. They won't do unnecessary cesearan, but beyond that are not especially attuned to "natural childbirth" and you won't have much say in such matters. It will also not be possible for your husband/partner to be with you in the delivery room.

4. Nursing staff will usually speak no English which if you do not speak Thai, can be scary while in labor.

The "private channel" costs and all else are much like in a private hospitals. You can choose your doctor and have the same doctor do all the antenatal checks and the delivery, and you can have some say in whether any anesthesia etc, and depending on the doctor may be able to have husband/partner present at the delivery.

Costs or a normal vaginal delivery in either a private hospital or the private channel of a govt hospital are usually 30,000 - 60,000 baht (if no epidural...which believe me, you may really want! In which case tack on about 10-15,000 baht). This does not include the prenatal checks.

One important thing to consider is the availability of appropriate care and the possible costs of it if there are complications, especially with the newborn. Not all hospitals have neonatal ICU facilities. And the costs of care in a NICU in a private hospital are really, really high.

We had a case recently of a TV member who chose a private hospital for delivery because the fee was affordable. but the baby had problems and ended up in the NICU and the bill exceeded US $10,000 in just the first 24 hours and they had a really hard time arranging transfer to a government hospital and had wracked up a debt that will take them years to pay of by the time they did. Something to consider if you are uninsured. In that respect the public channel of a major government hospital like Chula or Sririraj is best. But do take note of the disadvantages mentioned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had my delivery on August in Mission hospital - a Christian hospital which is nearby Khao san road. It covered not much than 40,000 baht for normal delivery. There doctors and staffs are very nice. Clean and not crowded. I got a big room with TV, fridge, sofa... Everything was in package including 3 main meals which are vegetarian food for both patient and one relative. This also covered a 5000 baht vaccine package for my son until he is 6 months old. You could choose doctors as well

Edited by lynwang