Has anyone been with a possessed Thai person?

reenatinnakor

I'm a total atheist non believer, I don't believe in ghosts, God, spirits, karma, a giant boat that can save all the earths animals ...I just don't believe!! I only participate in the girl friends temple ceremonies because she forces me to and when my eyes are closed and palms together I am thinking this is total bullshit, this ain't going to make nice things happen to my life!

But something weird happen during this weekends Buddha festivities. A friend of my gf was in our car and she was spiritually possessed by some female. Her voice changed to a high voice and her eyes went weird and I guess she acted like a little girl although in total control. For Thai people this is not a big deal and my gf just said to me "oh the ghost go inside her now" as if it's the most normal thing in the world! I was still driving spooked out by it all but not in total shock since I have seen this before when we visit temples, the possessed being smoking like 5 cigarettes at the same time and smoke billowing out and talking in a pitched voice that you wouldn't be able to maintain if just pretending. So I definitely know they are not pretending.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it's 100 per cent real? I mean not been possessed by a spirit although that would be cool! But just been in the presence of a Thai that's been possessed? So I've been reading a lot about Thai spirit houses and ghosts and bullshit stuff like that on the internet the last 24 hours....I guess I have no choice but to believe it after what happened in my car. For a total non believer I'm a bit confused!

• Like 2

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This wouldn't have happened in the provinces of Buriram or Surin would it? Or, with people who are from there?

Other forum members might be able to elaborate on the Thai word for black magic. Mun Dumn.

People in Buriram and Surin are keen practitioners of the art of Munh Dum, which I'm not sure but think equates with Black Magic..

They believe in it, and that is the most important thing people like you and me, who are unbelievers, need to know.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 2

This wouldn't have happened in the provinces of Buriram or Surin would it? Or, with people who are from there?

Other forum members might be able to elaborate on the Thai word for black magic. Mun Dumn.

People in Buriram and Surin are keen practitioners of the art of Munh Dum, which I'm not sure but think equates with Black Magic..

They believe in it, and that is the most important thing people like you and me, who are unbelievers, need to know.

No. We are central near Chachoengsao, between Pattaya and SVB Airport. I guess this weekend was some sort of Buddha festival and everyone goes to temple. Definitely she wasn't pretending, because after when we arrived at the temple and she was normal again after about 20 more minutes, she started to throw up like in The Exorcist lol. And she was very pale. My gf says the spirits take away a lot of energy from the host.

When we got to the temple and the monk finished his chanting another guy was seemingly possessed....his body convulsed, then voice deeper and started smoking lots! It's about the 4th time I have seen it now so that's why I posted here. I don't know what scam can be really going on?? It seemed to be of no benefit to them to be in such a state unless for the publicity, yes I am farang but I don't look like it since I am half chinese, so it's not as if they are trying to scam me or ask for money! I have done ouija board when I was a kid and sometimes that worked so I guess it's possible all these Thai spirit possessions could be real.

There must some believers on this forum that can shed light on what's going on?

The gf knows I'm a non believer but always gets me to go to temples anyway, I always say to her, I will believe and devote my life to Buddhism once I am very rich moneywise.....haha. I know that's not how Buddha works but if I'm going to believe then I need to be paid first!

I can guarantee you that possession, like the Loch Ness monster, Big Foot etc does not exist.

The fact that people believe it exists is more significant, and costly. In the USA and other places they collect tithes from the believers. 10% of everyone's income for life.

• Like 1

This wouldn't have happened in the provinces of Buriram or Surin would it?

No. We are central near Chachoengsao, between Pattaya and SVB Airport. I guess this weekend was some sort of Buddha festival and everyone goes to temple. Definitely she wasn't pretending, because after when we arrived at the temple and she was normal again after about 20 more minutes, she started to throw up like in The Exorcist lol. And she was very pale. My gf says the spirits take away a lot of energy from the host.

<snip>

There must some believers on this forum that can shed light on what's going on?

It sounds pretty spooky. I've experienced some Buriram voodoo rituals around Prachon Chai, and Cokachai environs. Those were mostly the casting of spells for, love (money), or fertility, or spells to banish a gambling losing streak. I never saw any possession. Exorcisms yes, but no possessions.

Tip: Next time you come into contact with a possessed ask them quickly for a winning lottery number. All you need is three digits. It'll drive your girlfriend into the sanitarium. Ha!

Possession, it reminds me of the evangelical Christians in the big churches I've visited in Ohio around Cuyahoga Falls and Akron. They get possessed by "the spirit" and speak in tongues, and then fall down on the floor while "slain in the spirit". Then they pass the collection bucket around.

That reminds me, watch out your girlfriend doesn't get sucked into a scam around this. I smell a money making scam here. Once they get her believing, she'll gladly hand over her your money to them if she feels she has made contact with the other side.

Good luck.

Yeah I'm trying to work out what the scam could be....but the lady that had the spirit is not poor and is a long time friend of the missus. The evangelical Christians you can tell its a scam because they don't even bother to change their voice! At least in a Thai possession it is more realistic. I have been to spirit houses or temples where the woman can call a spirit and then she is possessed, but then she is taking money from clients who want to know about their future, so it's obvious what the scam is there. But why would a normal person pretend to be possessed, throw up afterwards and be very tired and teary eyed....all for no money?!! Doesn't make sense.

Off course the first thing I asked the gf to ask her possessed friend in the back of my previously unhaunted car was will I get big money this year. She said I will get some money!! And that;s the standard answer from any monk at every single temple I have been to for the last 4 years.....well off course I will get some money...how can I live if I don't get some money!! Durr.....

No offence to Buddhists and believers.....

• Like 1

over these last weeks there have been numerous ceremonies in temples, about the ghosts of the recently departed.

they are pretty big about all this in Amphawa too...

Wifey and family openly practise white magic.

This saves money crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif . Wife doesn't even want an alarm system, as the god-house protects her.

She had a billetter staying a little while ago. Wifey comes back from work, and the girl comes running out crying. She's on her knees crying asking for forgiveness. Turned out she was pilferring wifey's moneybox, when suddenly girlie sees and hears the house ghost - with her.

Recently I have had to refrain from even wishing wifey a 'good day' as from farang husband, that is going to spoil her profit - but that's another story....

My asthma wheezing at night really spooks wifey, if the wheezing is heard after-dark.

I'm not allowed to whistle at night, especially in proximity to the lady god house statue.

Wifey was like the devil-possessed at the temple recently, when I put the monk offering on the ground, while I wai'ed him on entry to the temple.

Monk was ok with me, he later said, as I was young to buddhism - but to my spooked wife I was 2 strikes out of 3... that's another story too...

Edited by tifino

My ex girlfriend's daughter was possessed during a ceremony at the local Wat, she was speaking in a weird voice and crying hysterically. I was not there but someone got it on their cell phone and I saw it, she was young maybe 14, very out of character and not an "act". Although unusual for sure but no one made a big deal of it. It as far as I know it has never happened since then.

I am Thai and I do not believe in this possession. I have never seen one and I do not know any Thais whom I associate with in Thailand have interest in this kind of belief. Have you noticed that this kind of belief most likely are among Thais who live in country sides, who like going to temple to tam-boon for their prosperity and they can talk on and on about this thing with monks.

Although I am not a believer in this kind of possessed person by ghost but I do not discredit any of this belief. There is a Thais saying about this, "Mai cheur, yha lob loo" Non believer but not disrespectful.

• Like 1

When people believe something real, live in fear of such things, it is perfectly normal for brain to enforce this reality one way or another.

You can compare it to excorcism in West. There is no such thing scientifically as possession. It appears to me it is some sort of mental disorder or chemical imbalance in brain.

Yes, religion does that to people!

Edited by muratremix
  • Like 2

Yes it definitely happens, seen it myself, and yes it can possess you also.... Thailand is very different, in these ways. So maybe you say you don't believe? Best thing to do is let it be known, ever been in the Mountains and lived with Thai Monks? And I will leave it at that.... Just a thought...

Kilosierra

There's no such thing as 'possession', however there is such a thing as mental illness. Mental illness does not always manifest itself as a raving looney but more often as a low level set of beliefs which affect the everyday life of the person so affected. And yes, I am a doctor.

• Like 1

I'm a total atheist non believer, I don't believe in ghosts, God, spirits, karma, a giant boat that can save all the earths animals ...I just don't believe!! I only participate in the girl friends temple ceremonies because she forces me to and when my eyes are closed and palms together I am thinking this is total bullshit, this ain't going to make nice things happen to my life!

You know thats not supposed to be how it works right. Although this kind of material merit making does seem to be customary to the Thais, Buddhism is supposed to alleviate suffering by helping us let go of material values and by living according to a set of principles. (I know that was a very cursory summary, sorry if it disgruntles any pedants).

So closing your eyes and praying for nice things to happen should be reserved for Santa Claus, or Satan, cos I hear he cuts some nice deals!

• Like 1

over these last weeks there have been numerous ceremonies in temples, about the ghosts of the recently departed.

they are pretty big about all this in Amphawa too...

Wifey and family openly practise white magic.

This saves money crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif . Wife doesn't even want an alarm system, as the god-house protects her.

She had a billetter staying a little while ago. Wifey comes back from work, and the girl comes running out crying. She's on her knees crying asking for forgiveness. Turned out she was pilferring wifey's moneybox, when suddenly girlie sees and hears the house ghost - with her.

Recently I have had to refrain from even wishing wifey a 'good day' as from farang husband, that is going to spoil her profit - but that's another story....

My asthma wheezing at night really spooks wifey, if the wheezing is heard after-dark.

I'm not allowed to whistle at night, especially in proximity to the lady god house statue.

Wifey was like the devil-possessed at the temple recently, when I put the monk offering on the ground, while I wai'ed him on entry to the temple.

Monk was ok with me, he later said, as I was young to buddhism - but to my spooked wife I was 2 strikes out of 3... that's another story too...

Are you allowed to pee standing up? Or do you have to sit down and do it silently?

• Like 1

All regions are different in Thailand, if at least you have traveled around... You can find at sometimes, that each village has a different ideal! There is a strong feeling there for some reason, superstition is very strong in many regions of Thailand. In my opinion it is best to keep faith.... Have been in many situations, have had monks come to a home, or maybe where you are living, many times the problems subsided.... Just speaking from my own experiences...

There even villages in Khon Kaen that put up scarecrows to ward off the evil spirits.... Every house in the village, has one on their front porch.... It is not my ideal to question it, maybe to open ones eyes...

Kerry