Foreign Office Travel Advisories....

kayo

All Travel Warning All Travel Warning All Travel Warning

Chad

East Timor (Democratic Republic of)

Ivory Coast

Somalia

The FCO advises against all travel to parts of the following countries (see individual Travel Advice Notices for further details):

Afghanistan

Albania

Azerbaijan

Burundi

Cameroon

Colombia Why?????? It´s safer than London!

Congo (Democratic Rep ublic)

Ecuador

Eritrea

Ethiopia

Georgia

India you what?

Indonesia Again YOu what?? A bit of rain and some big waves, maybe, okay!

Iran

Iraq

Israel and the Occupied Territories

Mali

Nigeria

Pakistan

Philippines They haven´t done nothing....

Russian Federation

Sudan

Uganda

Central African Republic

Haiti

Liberia

The FCO advises against all but essential travel to parts of the following countries (see individual Travel Advice Notices for further details):

Afghanistan

Angola

Armenia

Bangladesh

Burundi

Congo

Guinea

India

Iraq

Israel and the Occupied Territories

Libya

Niger

Nigeria

Pakistan

Russian Federation

Rwanda

Sri Lanka

Sudan

Thailand

Uzbekistan

Yemen

Zambia

to parts

Philippines They haven´t done nothing....

When I was last in the Philippines (and it's not that long ago), in the space of three months I came across - People taking pot shots at our construction site from nearbye hills. The front of our hotel being riddled with bullets, a grenade thrown in shopping center where I was having lunch and riots in Manila in which numbers of people where killed.

Maybe I was unlucky... Maybe the Foreign office where right.

But I take it as granted that where there are problems in Thailand (for example the southern provinces) the Thai government are doing their level best to hide any risks.

Guest endure

The last time I visited Colombia (Turbo) on a Fyffes banana boat we stripped everything stealable from the decks. We were instructed under pain of dismissal to lock our cabin door and not answer any knocks, not to walk out on deck alone (two people minimum at all times) and instructed to carry a weapon with us at all times. Marlinspikes and large knifes were favourites.

I get a lot of travellers come through here (lake atitlan, Guatemala) who´ve come up from Columbia (god knows why young party travellers would go there :D:o ) and most none have problems with personal security anymore. As anywhere, depends on yourself, your attitude and where you go in the country, of course.

Yet, on the backpacker, and mature traveler scene, it seems to be relatively safe these days.

One good friend who just got back from there was telling me that the cab driver he randomly grabbed upon arrival in Bogota ended up being his private tour guide for twelve hours, and took him to his slum shanty town home and partied hard with his friends in the shady areas of the capital. When my buddy, the next day, was ready to hitch hike onwards, the cab driver took him to a safe place to travel onwards from.

And refused any payment for the taxi fare, and other than the dinner, drinks and drugs they had done the night before, my friend didn´t pay much for twelve hours of hardcore partying.

I am under the impression that local travel by bus in Columbia between cities puts you at a high risk for being robbed by armed bandits

Also from the US state department:

Since 1980, the U.S. Embassy in Bogota has learned of 112 U.S. citizens kidnapped in Colombia and adjacent border areas. Since 1980, the U.S. Embassy in Bogota has learned of 112 U.S. citizens kidnapped in Colombia and adjacent border areas.