At least 100 military in NLA: source

Lite Beer

At least 100 military in NLA: source
The Sunday Nation 

BANGKOK: -- At least 100 senior military officers are tipped to be selected as members of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), an NCPO source said.

Although it was Saturday yesterday, Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha did not take a break but went to the Royal Thai Army headquarters to follow up on work.

An informed NCPO source, who asked not to be named, said that besides the looking into concerns in the restive South, Prayuth yesterday screened the list of people proposed to be members of the NLA presented by his assistant General Paiboon Koom-chaya, who is in charge of justice and legal matters for the military leaders.

The list of NLA members is expected to be announced in the coming week, the source said.

Names on the list include academics, members from non-government groups, business people, former senators, as well as military officers.

The military officers are mainly the commanders of key agencies, especially from the Army. They include permanent secretary of defence General Surasak Kanjanarat, plus three of his deputies. The Supreme Commander, General Tanasak Patimapragorn, deputy army chiefs, the army aide-de-camp General Aksra Kerdphol, as well as the head of the Armed Forces Development Command are also on the list.

Others include the commanders and deputy commanders of the Army Region Commands and the commanders of the Army's 20 divisions as well as the Special Warfare Command and 13 other armed forces agencies.

Deputy commanders of the Navy and Air Force, plus aide-de-camps and advisers, and at least 10 senior police including General Adul Saengsingkaew would also be included as NLA members, the source said.

NCPO chief advisers including former defence minister General Prawit Wongsuwan, former Army chief General Anupong Paochinda and former deputy Army chief General Dapong Ratanasuwan would also be in the NLA, the source said.

Other big names such as Prayuth and Paiboon, Navy chief Admiral Narong Pipatanasai, Royal Thai Air Force chief ACM Prajin Juntong, and General Chatchai Sarikalya won't be in the NLA as they are expected to join in the Cabinet, the source said adding that the NLA meeting to nominate Prayuth as PM would take place in August.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/At-least-100-military-in-NLA-source-30239549.html

[thenation]2014-07-27[/thenation]

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to be very careful of these out comes , one wounders if the whole exercise is B/S, I would have thought very few military, perhaps 25,  the rest from the academic's, previous and present senior department heads and from the financial sector, what some of these military people know about democracy and good governance you could put on the back of a postage stamp,  this could turn out to be junta rule by stealth, not a good look General Prayuth.bah.gif

Stealth? Hardly, see Interim Constitution Sections 44, 48.

Edited by fab4

You need to be very careful of these out comes , one wounders if the whole exercise is B/S, I would have thought very few military, perhaps 25,  the rest from the academic's, previous and present senior department heads and from the financial sector, what some of these military people know about democracy and good governance you could put on the back of a postage stamp,  this could turn out to be junta rule by stealth, not a good look General Prayuth.bah.gif

Stealth? Hardly, see Interim Constitution Sections 44, 48.

well as long as everybody is happy, thats what matters.

There is nothing at all surprising about this and I'm more than happy to see it

Politicians here have a habit of throwing the toys out of the pram once they get any semblance of power or influence - or devicive elements from abroad try and stir the pot and throw a spanner in the works - this must not be allowed

everybody is well aware of the undertaken process and what needs to be done and in what timeframe, all this does is makes sure that it is allowed to progress unhindered without interference from those that don't like the conditions and laws they are going to have to work too in the future - namely ex ministers, time for change let it happen and lets hope that it is enough to put Thailand on a solid democratic and political footing

So in summary:  All politicians are bad, all military people are good, so let the military "put Thailand on a solid democratic and political footing." 

I'm curious, what qualifies the military to do this?

Guns and tanks perhaps?
  • Like 1

Politicians here have a habit of throwing the toys out of the pram once they get any semblance of power or influence - or devicive elements from abroad try and stir the pot and throw a spanner in the works - this must not be allowed

everybody is well aware of the undertaken process and what needs to be done and in what timeframe, all this does is makes sure that it is allowed to progress unhindered without interference from those that don't like the conditions and laws they are going to have to work too in the future - namely ex ministers, time for change let it happen and lets hope that it is enough to put Thailand on a solid democratic and political footing

So in summary:  All politicians are bad, all military people are good, so let the military "put Thailand on a solid democratic and political footing." 

Guns and tanks perhaps?

Guns and tanks perhaps?

We will watch this with interest, perhaps this is what the country needs and this may prevent  the predictions of the doomsayers coming true, that all that is rotten will return when a parliament resumes. Possibly the only way for the current changes to be managed and continued. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of politicians being constantly aware that in the future the army is likely to pounce if they resume their wicked ways. However any institution becomes engulfed with bureaucracy and then corruption in time . Every generation has to start again. Let's give these guys a chance. I for one hope that Prayuth will be prime minister. After that.... We'll see.

Perhaps the good General and staff just don't trust politicians. And after seeing what happened during the last 3 years under that disgraceful lot the PTP, who could blame them ?

• Like 1

I like the idea of politicians being constantly aware that in the future the army is likely to pounce if they resume their wicked ways. However any institution becomes engulfed with bureaucracy and then corruption in time . Every generation has to start again. Let's give these guys a chance. I for one hope that Prayuth will be prime minister. After that.... We'll see.

Yeah, all quality governments live with a military looking over their shoulder and ready to pounce whenever the generals are displeased.  Places like Egypt, Pakistan, Myanmar, Thailand....

Not sure what was going on in Burma before the military took over, but the other governments you listed had something in common, corrupt and crooked and controlled by tyrants. That is why some countries go through military coups. It becomes the only way to cleanse the country of these scumbags.

Have you not put 2 and 2 together and worked that out yet ?

Edited by mikemac
  • Like 1

Yeah, all quality governments live with a military looking over their shoulder and ready to pounce whenever the generals are displeased.  Places like Egypt, Pakistan, Myanmar, Thailand....

The governments you listed had something in common, all corrupt and crooked and controlled by tyrants. That is why some countries go through military coups. It becomes the only way to cleanse the country of these scumbags.

My history of those countries is a little shakey, but care to elaborate which crooked tryants were overthrown by the military in Pakistan, Mynamar and Egypt?

History and performance related to it

You must have heard the old saying - History never tells lies

Past governments (politicians) have an extremely poor record of running Thailand - hence the number of interventions and the last one probably the most needed of them all

Not sure what was going on in Burma before the military took over, but the other governments you listed had something in common, corrupt and crooked and controlled by tyrants. That is why some countries go through military coups. It becomes the only way to cleanse the country of these scumbags.

For you, 2+2=5
Brush up on your history pal? It's all about the pursuit of power.
  • Like 2

The military has run Burma almost continuously since it ceased to be a British colony. They allowed at least one experiment with democracy (before their current half-hearted one) but didn't like the results.  In Pakistan and Egypt the worst tyrants have generally come from the military, though they often sought an appearance of legitimacy through questionable elections.

Corruption can provide a useful excuse for a coup, but I can think of no military coup justified by corruption that did not eventually result in the military grabbing a bigger share of the corruption pie.  But since you've put 2 and 2 together I'm sure you can provide examples where that wasn't the case.