US understands Thailand's measures to address human trafficking problems

webfact

US understands Thailand's measures to address human trafficking problems
By Digital Content

14066252912017.jpg

BANGKOK, July 29 -- The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs reported that the United States has acknowledged labour solutions in National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) actions and might remove four Thai products from its child and forced labour watch list.

Songsak Saicheua, director-general of the Department of American and South Pacific Affairs, said he and representatives of eight Thai food associations visited the United States July 19 to 25 and met government officials, wholesalers and trade union members.

The delegation presented Thailand's solutions to alien labour and human trafficking.

It emphasized that the NCPO was seriously tackling the problems and bringing illegal migrant workers to Thailand's formal labour system by registering them at one-stop service centers to protect them from abuse and human trafficking.

"I presented the establishment of 12 special economic zones along the border, solutions to all labour [problems] in the fisheries and marine industries, and a marine labor bill that will systematically protect fishery workers who will have 30 vacation days per year. The NCPO approved it and will forward it to the National Legislative Assembly," he said.

Besides, he said, there was a law to integrate labour protection and make relevant operations serious and fair. The explanation made the US better understand the systematic labour solutions of the NCPO and realize they are sincere measures.

It was likely that the US will remove four products--sugarcane, shrimp, fish and garments--from its child and forced labour watch list, said Mr Songsak.

"This may begin with sugarcane. I will send additional information in August and will wait for announcements in September," Mr Songsak said.

US business operators understood and have confidence in the work of the NCPO and they insisted on continuing to buy Thai products. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-29

"It was likely that the US will remove four products--sugarcane, shrimp, fish and garments--from its child and forced labour watch list, said Mr Songsak."

May be; possibly, perhaps, somewhat likely, but in which year? B.E. 2567?

• Like 1

They do and they do not care, too much. It would be dumb of Thailand to loose Golden Cobra to annother country. Why would you want China to learn all you tactical plans, guess they would anyway, throw bribes.

"It was likely that the US will remove four products--sugarcane, shrimp, fish and garments--from its child and forced labour watch list, said Mr Songsak."

Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing those key words. Every paragraph in this report is using speculative words that even if you add them together equals nothing.

They might as well have said they are thinking about it. What a waste if reading. I may have to cancel my membership here or perhaps stop reading this forum or maybe hunt down the writer so i can tell him its likely he will go find some real facts. But that is only if he can find a somewhat reliable source. Then again he may die laughing from reading my reply.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

All we need now is for the americans to validate this news, not only Mr Songsak said this & that.

Sent from my C6833 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All countries have the same opportunity, but many remain silent.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing those key words. Every paragraph in this report is using speculative words that even if you add them together equals nothing.

They might as well have said they are thinking about it. What a waste if reading. I may have to cancel my membership here or perhaps stop reading this forum or maybe hunt down the writer so i can tell him its likely he will go find some real facts. But that is only if he can find a somewhat reliable source. Then again he may die laughing from reading my reply. The guy who said all this was surely a press man working for the US gov before.

They might as well have said they are thinking about it. What a waste if reading. I may have to cancel my membership here or perhaps stop reading this forum or maybe hunt down the writer so i can tell him its likely he will go find some real facts. But that is only if he can find a somewhat reliable source. Then again he may die laughing from reading my reply.

S now we know what Mr Songsak would like to think happened. Personally I think actions and validated results on the Thai side will be required before the US does much thinking about changing the watch list products. After all, Thai politicians have previously made a lot of promises on this subject and not followed through

S now we know what Mr Songsak would like to think happened. Personally I think actions and validated results on the Thai side will be required before the US does much thinking about changing the watch list products. After all, Thai politicians have previously made a lot of promises on this subject and not followed through

"the US does much thinking about changing the watch list products."

You mean like this?

Before:

post-216080-0-12206300-1406639424_thumb.

"the US does much thinking about changing the watch list products."

You mean like this?

Before:

And after:

post-216080-0-43902200-1406640031_thumb.

"It was likely that the US will remove four products--sugarcane, shrimp, fish and garments--from its child and forced labour watch list," said Mr Songsak.
"This may begin with sugarcane. I will send additional information in August and will wait for announcements in September," Mr Songsak said.

At best the US is likely to remove just sugarcane from the list in September, hold back the rest until there is further confirmation of compliance, then dribble out the remainder over anoer 12-18 mos. if all goes well for Thailand. It took the US fours years before moving Thailand to Tier three; no reason to expect it will move Thailand completely back to Tier 2 any quicker.

Until the Thais have the forthrightness to publish a few names of these so called, US government officials, wholesales and trade union members, it is a meaningless claim. US citizen taxpayers would like to know who in their government is meeting with these Thais and indicating that they "understand" Thailand's measures sufficiently to remove them from watch lists. Are the wholesalers Costco, Target, Sam's Club, ASR, Wilmar? Just exactly who are the wholesalers that the Thai press is referencing here? What are the "union members?" Who are they? What union? Are we to take what the Thai press and this Thai group said they said in a meeting with un-named US "officials, wholesalers, and unions?

• Like 2

Meanwhile, the US companies Apple and Nike among hundreds or thousands of others, continue to use near slave-labour workers in far away parts of the world, where conditions are so bad that workers sometimes try to commit suicide.

Good old USA, telling everyone else what they shouldn't be doing while doing it 10x worse themselves.

The joke of the world and they don't even realize.

Edited by Malthus101
  • Like 1

Meanwhile, the US companies Apple and Nike among hundreds or thousands of others, continue to use near slave-labour workers in far away parts of the world, where conditions are so bad that workers sometimes try to commit suicide.

Good old USA, telling everyone else what they shouldn't be doing while doing it 10x worse themselves.

The joke of the world and they don't even realize.

You are correct, and the US government is taking no actions to stem the flow of children being trafficked across the Mexican boarder. Another case of beating other countries for inaction, while the USA is encouraging the trafficking into the USA, for political reasons. It is time for politicians to be replaced, they are all corrupt.