Vw Beetle Wanted

Hog Head

I am in Chiangmai, but will travel for the right car.

Must be a 69 or later type with IRS rear suspension. Thai cars seem to have little relationship between the year in the reg book and actual model year. The way to tell is that the +69 models have a rubber boot at both the gearbox and axle end. Swing axle pre 69 have the boot only at the gearbox.

Beginning in 65, Beetle VIN numbers all begin with 11 for beetle and the next digit is the year. For example 119 is a 69. Several cars I have loooked at do not have the VIN plate - wonder why???

Condition is not important, and I will consider anything.

robert

Here's mine. :o

beetle_3.sized.jpg

If you drive on the road that connects the moat to Airport Plaza there are a few car tents at the side of the road - onte of them has a few Beatles for sale.

Not a clue on what model they are though.

Ahhh but are they drip free?

Have looked at both these locations and they are pre 69, although registered otherwise.

Thanks and keep them coming

If you drive on the road that connects the moat to Airport Plaza there are a few car tents at the side of the road - onte of them has a few Beatles for sale.

Not a clue on what model they are though.

Ahhh but are they drip free?

At the SW corner of Rattanakosin Rd and Wang Sing Kum Rd, south of Prince Royal's College, along the river, just at the foot of the bridge, there is a shop that always has 5-6 Beetles and Microbuses hanging around. May be worth it to pay a visit and see what's up.

Dave;

By virtue of their construction and mix and match parts capability, Beetles easily are Frankensteined. I have also noticed that the Thai registration year in the book is not always the year of manufacture.

See my comments on the VIN plate code if it even exists, as several cars I have looked at so far do not even have a VIN plate. I can think of no legal reason to remove the VIN tag, however TIT.

If no plate, there is a number stamped into the chassis under the rear seat.

Numbering code I describe began in 65. Therefore your car should begin with 115. This code began in 65 and the 3rd. digit is the year.

If in fact yours is a 65, you will have a swing axle rear suspension.

I want a post 69, for the better road holding and handling.

If you recall Ralph Nadar in the States he had a hissy fit over swing axles in the Corvair.

Robert

IRS model?

Mines a 1965. :o

Dave;

By virtue of their construction and mix and match parts capability, Beetles easily are Frankensteined. I have also noticed that the Thai registration year in the book is not always the year of manufacture.

See my comments on the VIN plate code if it even exists, as several cars I have looked at so far do not even have a VIN plate. I can think of no legal reason to remove the VIN tag, however TIT.

Numbering code I describe began in 65. Therefore your car should begin with 115. This code began in 65 and the 3rd. digit is the year.

If you recall Ralph Nadar in the States he had a hissy fit over swing axles in the Corvair.

Robert

IRS model?

I understand now, mine has all VIN plates in tact and i've also uncovered chassis & engine numbers already, its an original 65. :D

I'm confused that you mention 1969 as the supension on the 1300/ 1500 beetle are the same, All have swing axels and all have the front torsion beam suspension.

The 1302S and 03's (super beetles) have macpherson strut front suspension.

I might be right in thinking that later models had double-jointed rear axle for improved ride and handling. :D

Edited by davethailand

Dave

Both swing axle and the later "IRS" axles are independent types. Perhaps the confusion is in that the term IRS is used in the USA, and is also known as "double jointed"

Pics will help:

Here is your swing axle type. Imagine a rubber boot over the U-joint at the transaxle end of the driveshaft.

post-5915-1152334068_thumb.jpg

Note the rubber covered CV joint at the wheel end and another boot at the transaxle of the IRS type:

post-5915-1152333987_thumb.jpg

I am not too sure about Mexican or Brazilian bugs, but all German standard Bugs used a torsion beam front axle. Early types used a link pin at the spindle/upright depending on what side of the pond you are from. Later models used ball joints.

One aspect of my next project is an A-arm front end to solve the camber change problem in Standard beetle design, use rack and pinion steering, and improve handling and ride. This subframe replaces the entire beam and steering, and uses the standard spindle and brake. Naturally big brakes would be a plus, however Ghia discs will fit and are about 200 USD complete.

See other pic:

post-5915-1152335282_thumb.jpg

As you say, the Super Beetle (Fat Chick in the Beetle world) used a McPherson strut at the front.

Robert

Dave;

Robert

IRS model?

I understand now, mine has all VIN plates in tact and i've also uncovered chassis & engine numbers already, its an original 65. :D

I'm confused that you mention 1969 as the supension on the 1300/ 1500 beetle are the same, All have swing axels and all have the front torsion beam suspension.

The 1302S and 03's (super beetles) have macpherson strut front suspension.

I might be right in thinking that later models had double-jointed rear axle for improved ride and handling. :D

by my reckoning (having owned a number of '57 to '66 beetles and a '65 bus during 60's and 70's ) Dave's unit is '65 by the look of the body alone (with 1300 CC stock displacement and rigid axel arrangement - no boot on the transaxel attachment). There was a body re-design in 68 with sealed beam headlights and a bigger tail lamp assembly. The '68 also had integral head rests on the front seats.

It was a nice car for folks livin' on the cheap...easy to maintain and etc. But when the japs came in with a lot more fuel efficient water cooled models their days were numbered. The air cooled VW beetle remains an icon...

The air cooled flat four is wimpy in stock guise. By the time they are hot rodded, they become short lived, rather expensive, need constant wrenching, and prone to overheating when pushed.

A Subaru water cooled flat four, is both reliable and powerful. The SOHC bolts right in, and the DOHC needs a bit of clearancing but fits. If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing, so I will use a DOHC turbo model.

Another part of the plan, but I need the IRS donor first. Condition of the donor is not important.

Robert

by my reckoning (having owned a number of '57 to '66 beetles and a '65 bus during 60's and 70's ) Dave's unit is '65 by the look of the body alone (with 1300 CC stock displacement and rigid axel arrangement - no boot on the transaxel attachment). There was a body re-design in 68 with sealed beam headlights and a bigger tail lamp assembly. The '68 also had integral head rests on the front seats.

It was a nice car for folks livin' on the cheap...easy to maintain and etc. But when the japs came in with a lot more fuel efficient water cooled models their days were numbered. The air cooled VW beetle remains an icon...

Hi Robert!

Cross Narawat bridge going east take left 2nd lights (Brit consul road). About 200 yds down there was\were are a load of Beetles strung out beside the road. My subconcious mind (the tiny bit which hasn't been Changised already, and lies!) tells me they're not there now! Maybe been asked to move as blocking traffic.

However, as the guy is an obvious fanatic, it might be worth you going down and asking around as to where he's gone if he's not still there. ( Opposite good windshield replacement place)

Otherwise ask Dave The Hard _Castle from Good Morning Mag. Fount of all autoknowledge and like Shylock will want his pound of flesh! OK a pint of Singha! :o

Good luck! Fosa :D