What is needed to drive a motobike? US license, retirenment visa

SkyRider

Just a minor clarification to make wong's post totally wight.

If you have a motorcycle endorsement on your state/provincial driver's license, or a separate motorcycle license, you can get a Thai motorcycle license upon provision of the required documents.

If you do not have the endorsement or a separate motorcycle license, you must go through the writen and driving test first.

If you have a motorcycle endorsement on your state/provincial driver's license, or a separate motorcycle license, you can get a Thai motorcycle license upon provision of the required documents.

If you do not have the endorsement or a separate motorcycle license, you must go through the writen and driving test first.

True, but quite often even the provisional (therefor limited) endorsement will lead to a full Thai motorbike license without doing any tests.

Not necessarily true. When I got my Thai car licence after showing my Aussie licence and doing the colour, reaction tests, they asked me if I wanted a motorcycle licence as well, even though I had no Aussie m'cycle licence.

Many changes became effective July 1 of this year.

Probably prudent to check with your local motor vehicle office first.

Yes, agree, a check can be a good idea. I would recommend though to not point out that the motorbike endorsement is not a full motorbike license.

You didn't say if you had a car or motorcycle license, so:

If you've been riding in the USA you will just need to hone your skills and keep a sharp lookout in all directions...

on the other hand if you are a car driver with nil riding experience I have to ask  "Are you stupid?"  It's a crazy place to learn how to ride!

But you can, if necessary, attend a riding school to get up to speed.  Honda has one and it's well known.

Get some basic skills and then get your license.

You didn't say if you had a car or motorcycle license, so:

If you've been riding in the USA you will just need to hone your skills and keep a sharp lookout in all directions...

on the other hand if you are a car driver with nil riding experience I have to ask  "Are you stupid?"  It's a crazy place to learn how to ride!

But you can, if necessary, attend a riding school to get up to speed.  Honda has one and it's well known.

Get some basic skills and then get your license.

I didn't even know that there was a difference between a U.S. license for driving a car or a motorcycle, and no, I don't have a motorcycle license. I want a motorbike (not a motorcycle), because it would be more convenient then the BTS, buses, taxis, and driving on the back of motorbike taxi - but I definitely realize that one of the cons of driving a motorbike in BKK, is how dangerous it is. 

If you know how dangerous it is there is no need to sell you on rider training!

Motorbike, motorcycle....I guess it depends on where you live but they are one and the same.  Maybe your referring to motor scooter?

If you know how dangerous it is there is no need to sell you on rider training!

Motorbike, motorcycle....I guess it depends on where you live but they are one and the same.  Maybe your referring to motor scooter?

Yes, I meant motor scooter, sorry.

I would still need to take a test to get a license for that, right?  Can the Honda school prepare me for that?