Crossing The Border At Mae Sai On Tourist Visa

If i read correctly a fellow who entered Malaysia a few days ago was told he could not return to Thailand for one day. So my question is. Will this now be required at every border ? Cambodia, Laos , Burma and Malaysia. If that is the case that is going to be a real hassle. Mae Sai is the northern most land border with Burma.

I have to admit since 2001 the first time at the southern border i had a problem. Since then i can think of at least three more times they were either very rude or wanted some extra cash out of me. It is always at the same border road crossing Sadao. I now always travel across the border by train. Never any problems and a few times they even smiled.

I did it last week - third entry on a triple entry tourist visa. I had 20k cash, a printed copy of my onward flight tickets etc but no questions and no problems whatsoever. Happy smiling staff and no other farangs at either check out or check in - fastest out / in that I've ever done and probably the last ever out / in as well laugh.png

Did Mae Sai border on a TV 6 days ago

Time between stamping out of Thailand and stamping back into Thailand would of been about 3 minutes

No 20k, no onward ticket, no itinerary, no hotel booking, no questions asked, infact the only people who bothered to talk to me were the Burmese passport control guys

I was invisible to the Thai customs people

• Like 1

Did Mae Sai border on a TV 6 days ago

Time between stamping out of Thailand and stamping back into Thailand would of been about 3 minutes

No 20k, no onward ticket, no itinerary, no hotel booking, no questions asked, infact the only people who bothered to talk to me were the Burmese passport control guys

I was invisible to the Thai customs people

I can imagine the Burmese customs were disappointed that you were only spending a day, and told you "you're always welcome back". That's the way I've been treated every time at the Myawady checkpoint opposite Mae Sot. Very friendly people, in contrast to the one nasty senior official on the Thai side.