Thailand still remains Ebola-free: DCD

webfact

DCD: Thailand still remains Ebola-free

BANGKOK, 12 August 2014 (NNT) – The Disease Control Department (DCD) has assured the public that visitors from Ebola-hit West African countries to Thailand have shown no signs of the disease.

The department made known that around 10 tourists from Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Guinea enter Thailand every day and after 21 days of strict surveillance, none of them have been infected with the deadly Ebola virus.

Members of the public are also urged to dismiss rumors that professional soccer players from West African countries joining the Thailand Premiere League have contracted the virus.

The department said the athletes have been staying in Thailand for months and were not exposed to the disease.

So far, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced that 961 people have been killed by Ebola and nearly 1,800 people have been infected.

[nnt]2014-08-12[/nnt]

I wonder what exactly is 21 days of "strict surveillance"? It sounds like a nice PR soundbite.

So we can be assured that around 210 African visitors from the Ebola high risk zones must now be under "strict surveillance" (at a rate of 10 per day for past 21 days)? Its actually quite a large number from this zone - far more than I imagined.

CDC seem to have so far excluded the Nigeria visitor numbers and that is looking like the next hot spot...........

They should be more worried about homegrown disease. Like Dengue, Influenza. These will kill more in Thailand. Than Ebola!

agree...and for "imported" disease , MERS is a far bigger risk than Ebola. Far more Thais travel through the MERS region, far more visitors come here, much easier route of transmission but without the headlines. Very dangerous.

I thought i had it a couple of days ago,high fever, puking non stop,hot water coming from my anus,that's it i thought, my claim to fame,the first person to get Ebola in Thailand, turned out it was your normal run of the mill food poisoning you get from eating out at an obscure Thai restaurant

• Like 1

I thought i had it a couple of days ago,high fever, puking non stop,hot water coming from my anus,that's it i thought, my claim to fame,the first person to get Ebola in Thailand, turned out it was your normal run of the mill food poisoning you get from eating out at an obscure Thai restaurant

Well, thanks for sharing. We needed that graphic description just prior to dinner.
  • Like 1

Well, thanks for sharing. We needed that graphic description just prior to dinner.

sorry about that,didn't know you were dining and surfing. Gag reflexes vary,mine gets less the longer iv'e been here

So your avatar photo is actually a recent pic. I was wondering, thanks for clearing that up!

strange to me when i started thread a few days ago about what could happen was stopped  do you have to be old fart to have thread or posts

or  to suck to each other up   is there a prize for nothing posts to each other

i said one thing if it ever happened here would come from over border from malayasia ? why there are 1000s of islamic people in study from the countrys involved in outbreak living and going home offten from malayasia and multiply that with parents and friends visiting them

the govt wonnt tell truth about anything as we know

Ebola is a real threat to all countries. Bangkok will be the first place it starts if it ever (hopefully not) make it here. If it does come here it will spread like wild fire and possibly mutate as Thailands more humid climate could help. If anyone is not at least alittle worried about this I can not understand why? Almost 3,000 people infected, nearly a 1,000 already dead. This outbreak only broke the news about 3 weeks ago, who knows who has been traveling possibly carrying this virus months before it was reported..............?

strange to me when i started thread a few days ago about what could happen was stopped  do you have to be old fart to have thread or posts

or  to suck to each other up   is there a prize for nothing posts to each other

i said one thing if it ever happened here would come from over border from malayasia ? why there are 1000s of islamic people in study from the countrys involved in outbreak living and going home offten from malayasia and multiply that with parents and friends visiting them

the govt wonnt tell truth about anything as we know

Ebola is for wimps,real men get the Bubonic plague

They should be more worried about homegrown disease. Like Dengue, Influenza. These will kill more in Thailand. Than Ebola!

agree...and for "imported" disease , MERS is a far bigger risk than Ebola. Far more Thais travel through the MERS region, far more visitors come here, much easier route of transmission but without the headlines. Very dangerous.

Guys, Though I know what you're saying and agree but don't underestimate Ebola.  I think the world is taking this too lightly.  IMHO of course.