Prayuth elected as the 29th Thai PM

webfact

Hope he can continue to do the same clean up job he's doing now. He has been doing Great Things, Keep it up.

Soon you will be next to be "cleaned" !

I doubt he will be. The ones who are being cleaned are the ones who were making money off the corruption. Remember this is Thailand and money has a loud voice.sad.png

They are the one's teed off. Have you seen all the negativity they are putting out about this wonderful honest government.clap2.gif

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BBC has a decent summary of the situation, I'm sure other news sites have, or will have, as well. Better read them quick before they are blocked.

The only problem with the BBC report was that Mr J. Head had a role in writing it.

I read it. No surprises - the usual pro Shin approach from Mr. Head, Clever in that it's not what he says, but what he chooses to leave out.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

correct. I would also note that in a different thread on tourism, a poster was kind enough to post the link to the tourist data month by month with previous year comparisons. It is useful to look at for the effect of visitors in Thailand from the protests/coup. The data is also easily googled.

OK have it your way, all the downward trends were Sutheps doing.

It cannot have anything in the last 3 years from the lousy governing that led to the amnesty to Suthep.

Of course it had to be OTHERS that were responsible, not that led to the unrest----get a life.

Of course the downward trend will show it fall because of the unrest I do not doubt that, but I am not so stupid to overlook conveniently the problems that attributed to the downward trend during the protest.

BUT to put the blame on horses after someone opened the gate, ridiculous.

Ginjag, you must try to understand. Thaksin, him good. Suthep him bad. That is the only thing the Shin apologists want to here on any subject. Reasoning with them is a futile.

• Like 1

So I guess he is going to retire from the Military. Can't possibly do both jobs as P.M and Chief of the Army and it is a conflict of interest. I guess the new P.M will now approve the purchase of those submarines they have been after.

Is it any worse than PM and Minister of Defence? At least the army will listen to him. whistling.gif

Holding two ministerial portfolios in government is not unusual. Holding a major portfolio of Prime Minister and then another outside of the Government like Chief of the Military is totally different.

Here we have this General who is in charge of the Military,

He is now P.M who will appoint a Minister of Defence who he as the Chief of the Military will answer too.

Then on the other hand the Minister of Defence will then answer to the P.M who is also his subordinate but also his superior.

The deneral will need to resign his commission in the Army or become god almighty and answer to no one. He be P.M Minister of Defence and head of the defence force. He will answer to no man and controls all.

Holding two ministerial posts, as important as the PM and DM role, whilst being openly controlled by a fugitive convicted criminal form overseas, who happens to be your brother is somewhat unusual Chooka me old mate.

Doing neither job and swanning off on expenses paid trips all over the place is unusual too.

Dear Yinggy and PTP all answered to Thaksin. Who did the unelected fugitive criminal answer to?

Thaksin is a lot of things, but democratic certainly isn't one of them.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

So I guess he is going to retire from the Military. Can't possibly do both jobs as P.M and Chief of the Army and it is a conflict of interest. I guess the new P.M will now approve the purchase of those submarines they have been after.

Is it any worse than PM and Minister of Defence? At least the army will listen to him. whistling.gif

Holding two ministerial portfolios in government is not unusual. Holding a major portfolio of Prime Minister and then another outside of the Government like Chief of the Military is totally different.

Here we have this General who is in charge of the Military,

He is now P.M who will appoint a Minister of Defence who he as the Chief of the Military will answer too.

Then on the other hand the Minister of Defence will then answer to the P.M who is also his subordinate but also his superior.

The deneral will need to resign his commission in the Army or become god almighty and answer to no one. He be P.M Minister of Defence and head of the defence force. He will answer to no man and controls all.

The General is under orders from the coup sponsors. Unless of course this coup is different to every other coup which has preceded it.
  • Like 1

I think he's well suited.....but what happened to being elected by the People.....nothing Demcratic about this.

Haven't the people proven time after time that they're not up to the task of electing a decent government ?

• Like 1

correct. I would also note that in a different thread on tourism, a poster was kind enough to post the link to the tourist data month by month with previous year comparisons. It is useful to look at for the effect of visitors in Thailand from the protests/coup. The data is also easily googled.

It cannot have anything in the last 3 years from the lousy governing that led to the amnesty to Suthep.

Of course it had to be OTHERS that were responsible, not that led to the unrest----get a life.

Of course the downward trend will show it fall because of the unrest I do not doubt that, but I am not so stupid to overlook conveniently the problems that attributed to the downward trend during the protest.

Ginjag, you must try to understand. Thaksin, him good. Suthep him bad. That is the only thing the Shin apologists want to here on any subject. Reasoning with them is a futile.

you are quite feeble. But please show me where I "apologize" for the recent government.

Never mind, it will be beyond your capability.

Now that we have come this far, and we have a new PM, can someone refresh my memory, please?

Why weren't the elections called by the Yingluck Shinawatra government held? What exactly happened? I'm confused by all the happiness. How did we get here, to where we are today?

The election was a fiasco because the conditions for it were not conducive to a fair and free election. On one hand by the PDRC blocking it, on the other by PTP's supporters murdering their opponents with impunity.

Would you like to go back the the street battles and the daily death and injuries toll?

The election was a fiasco because the PDRC mobs obstructed the polling with impunity and the EC neglected to hold the polls. Fortunately Yingluck had the wisdom to tell the police to stand down and avoid bloodshed.

The conspiracy and plan to obstruct the democratic process was detailed day after day after night for weeks on end on the PDRC stages and on television detailing exactly how the scheduled democratic elections would be prevented, and how this would lead to an ineffective government and a vacuum resulting in a military coup.

Suthep even bragged about it afterwards and celebrated the coup with his cooperatives in a swanky restaurant while donning military camouflaged clothing. We are here where we are today as a result of a conspiracy to steal democracy from the people of Thailand.

Were it not for the PDRC conspiracy to subvert democracy there would have been no bloodshed. Democratic elections would have been held and PTP would have won and formed a new government.

They would then have reintroduced amendments to the constitution allowing for a fully elected senate, and reintroduced the amnesty bill. Even the remotest possibility of this happening was perceived by the elites to be a threat to their order, the nation, and the institutions of the nation. A vacuum created by an ineffective government was necessary to bring about martial law and the coup and prevent the election.

And so here we are today.

I categorically reject any supposition that the military coup and the suspension of the constitution were the only means by which ending the street violence was possible. Elections would have achieved the same result, however they were subverted by those unprepared to live with the results.

Elections would had brought two scenarios, the PTP stayed in power thanks to the intimidation and outright murder of those that opposed them, then protests would had continued and the Red Shirts would be out and about attacking political dissenters as before the elections; second one, another party came to power and the Red Shirts would had been unleashed as in 2010, resulting in more violence and deaths.

By supporting PTP you implicity support violence and intimidation as a way of achieving political power, so please spare us your talk about democracy.

Once and if ever you come to grips with the fact that the democratically elected PTP government was, at the very least, allowing their supporters utilize terrorism to maintain their masters' grip on power then you may have a hope of understanding why elections were not the solution. You can't have fair and free elections when a group has a free hand in using systematic violence against the opposite camp.

Your idea that elections would have miraculously solved everything is nothing but self-serving delusion. The coup stopped the violence, stopped people being killed and the Red Shirt threats of a civil war and a divided nation, that was PTPs path to maintain power and no election would had made those b****ards see the wrong of their actions and start acting with the best interests of the country at heart.

"Elections would had brought two scenarios, the PTP stayed in power thanks to the intimidation and outright murder of those that opposed them, then protests would had continued and the Red Shirts would be out and about attacking political dissenters as before the elections; second one, another party came to power and the Red Shirts would had been unleashed as in 2010, resulting in more violence and deaths."

That's a very good crystal ball you're using. Or do you have evidence to support these scenarios?

I agree that reasoning with people who think the only possible options for Thailand are Thaksin/PTP/redshirt or Suthep/Prayuth/yellowshirt is futile. Whenever I try to explain there are other alternatives they become angry and insist I must be on one side or the other.

• Like 2

I think he's well suited.....but what happened to being elected by the People.....nothing Demcratic about this.

Haven't the people proven time after time that they're not up to the task of electing a decent government ?

I see, people aren't ready for democracy until they vote the way you want them to vote.

No you don't see. It doesn't matter to me one bit who runs the country, I simply don't care.

Part of participating in an election is accepting defeat when it happens. This is the bit they don't seem to accept in Thailand.

• Like 2

Those of you in denial that the country has already taken the difficult turn for the better should perhaps at least bite ones tongues. Things can only get better and we should positively look forwards to new elections next year without the participation of the corrupt dinosaurs and their brethren from both sides of the political divide. ASEAN together with new elections will transform Thailand.... In the fullness of time.

Methinks some people could stand to read Orwell's Animal Farm.....

I see, people aren't ready for democracy until they vote the way you want them to vote.

No you don't see. It doesn't matter to me one bit who runs the country, I simply don't care.

Part of participating in an election is accepting defeat when it happens. This is the bit they don't seem to accept in Thailand.

So the problem isn't with the people and parties being elected, it is with the people and parties, the Democrats, who don't accept defeat and don't use the time between elections to make themselves more electable. Ok, I certainly agree that is a big problem in Thailand.

• Like 1

Those of you in denial that the country has already taken the difficult turn for the better should perhaps at least bite ones tongues. Things can only get better and we should positively look forwards to new elections next year without the participation of the corrupt dinosaurs and their brethren from both sides of the political divide. ASEAN together with new elections will transform Thailand.... In the fullness of time.

Excellent idea, it contains useful tips on how to educate a country for 'real democracy'. The sheeple could be trained to bleat "Prayuth gooood, Thaksin baaaad!"

So the problem isn't with the people and parties being elected, it is with the people and parties, the Democrats, who don't accept defeat and don't use the time between elections to make themselves more electable. Ok, I certainly agree that is a big problem in Thailand.

the Democrats, who don't accept defeat and don't use the time between elections to make themselves more electable

Funny you mention that. The PTP who make themselves electable don't use that time to adhere too democracy, but abuse it between election results.

That is why reform is needed and the General is the man for the job.

Unless of course you preferred daily terrorist attacks by the PTP terrorist wing?

• Like 1

the Democrats, who don't accept defeat and don't use the time between elections to make themselves more electable

Funny you mention that. The PTP who make themselves electable don't use that time to adhere too democracy, but abuse it between election results.

Unless of course you preferred daily terrorist attacks by the PTP terrorist wing?

You could claim the general is laying golden eggs, but intelligent people won't believe it until you provide some evidence.

• Like 1

You could claim the general is laying golden eggs, but intelligent people won't believe it until you provide some evidence.

So you prefer the daily terrorist attacks.

Why am I not surprised….

sad, sad, and sad. A military coup, that appointed its own cabinet, and now "elects" the PM. So this situation and this PM is better than a legally elected PM such as Thaksin? Coup upoin coup upon coup. It really is amazing to see such a thing in these so-called modern times, especially with mass communication and information.

• Like 1

What are his English skills like? I seem to remember the previous incumbent being slagged off on TV on a regular basis for her English.

Did he obtain a Masters degree utilizing the English language at a university in a native English-speaking country?

The previous incumbent was justifiably slagged off on for allegedly having obtained one under those conditions, but yet, she displayed English abilities far below what one might reasonably expect from someone who supposedly had achieved that linguistic milestone.

wink.png

Edited by nicholao
  • Like 1

sad, sad, and sad. A military coup, that appointed its own cabinet, and now "elects" the PM. So this situation and this PM is better than a legally elected PM such as Thaksin? Coup upoin coup upon coup. It really is amazing to see such a thing in these so-called modern times, especially with mass communication and information.

" A military coup, that appointed its own cabinet, and now "elects" the PM. So this situation and this PM is better than a legally elected PM such as Thaksin?"

Sadly for Thailand, yes. (Your use of Thaksin as an example makes the answer an easy one.)

• Like 1

Elected??? Okay, whatever. It reminds me of the old cold war Soviet presidential "elections."

Isn't a "prime minister" the the most senior minister in the executive branch of government in a parliamentary system?

Doesn't a parliamentary system have elections, where at least the lower house is elected?

Weren't all the members of the Thai National Assembly hand picked and appointed by the guy they just "elected" to be their leader?

And didn't that same guy take over the country by force?

I'm confused, but then I am only a stupid Seppie anyway and don't much understand the parliamentary system.

Excellent idea, it contains useful tips on how to educate a country for 'real democracy'. The sheeple could be trained to bleat "Prayuth gooood, Thaksin baaaad!"

Where the heck have you been? The sheeple have long be so trained already, including a goodly number of the apologists here on TV.

• Like 1

^^^

It sounds iffy, and would be anywhere else, but this is a necessity and the best thing that could ever happen to this place at this time. The concern is when power is eventually returned to the people... all the graft, cheating and scheming will weed its way back in. Unfortunately it can't be changed in a few short years; it'll take decades, nay generations, to clean up this town.

The General is under orders from the coup sponsors.

Who are they?
Research the socio political history of Thailand. It is always the same interest group behind a coup. There is a clue if you look back through some of the General's recent advice, he has already warned not to talk about the group that enjoys privilege and status through their extreme wealth.
  • Like 1

Calling it elected as primeminister is a gross misreprentation of the truth

agree. i'm all for the general taking over as INTERIM PM until everything is cleaned up. after that, if he's a member of a political party and gets elected PM, thats when he is PM

Now he's a politician, doesn't he now have to declare his assets? smile.png

I have a feeling I have heard that one before, did you choose that one answer from a prepared list ???

Pot calling the kettle black? Look back at your posts - most are the same.

Rants about Thaksin, Yingluck, Chalerm, etc ...