Snort on a Home Router

Chicog

This seems like a nifty idea.

$139 if you back them now, goes up to $179 if they hit their target, which looks highly likely. I've ordered a couple to stick between my modems and routers at home and the office.

photo-main.jpg?1408579643

What is the iGuardian?

The iGuardian is an embedded Linux system based on OpenWRT and runs Snort as an in-line intrusion prevention system. It has been designed and optimized for easy installation and provides advanced threat prevention against a wide variety of attacks. The iGuardian protects your connected devices from Internet threats with a reliable, simple and affordable solution.

The iGuardian protects you against a wide range of threats, including viruses, phishing scams, malicious websites, java, browser, and file exploits, drive-by-downloads, watering-hole attacks, botnets, data-theft, remote access Trojans and key-loggers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/itus/iguardian-the-home-internet-security-system?ref=nav_search

As I read the website, it now appears to be $149 for one appliance and $280 for two. Plus $25 for shipping outside of the USA. It seems like a great idea if it doesn't slow you down. I'm hesitant though as there might be bugs to be worked out. Have you submitted your backing already?

As I read the website, it now appears to be $149 for one appliance and $280 for two. Plus $25 for shipping outside of the USA. It seems like a great idea if it doesn't slow you down. I'm hesitant though as there might be bugs to be worked out. Have you submitted your backing already?

"I've ordered a couple to stick between my modems and routers at home and the office."

thumbsup.gif

That assumes they hit the target. They were at $63K when I signed up yesterday, now at $74K with 21 days to go to hit $125K. Should be doable.

Ironically I've got a load of Sourcefire appliances arriving at work in the next few weeks. Probably overkill for the house though.

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

I'm sure it will be effective, SNORT is a brilliant tool. As I said, we've just purchased a load of Sourcefire appliances - this is the commercial version of SNORT.

But SNORT itself is open source and Linux-based, and is not for the faint-hearted or the novice.

I like the idea of a simple, small appliance that I can drop in between modem and router.

They're up to $106/125K now, so I assume it will be a goer.

It's not going to be out until 1Q15 anyway, but if I remember of course I'll be happy to report back.

thumbsup.gif

I bought an atom d2550 mini pc (mini itx, very small) for 194 usd + shipping (total: 220 usd, from china), including 1gb ddr3 ram and 8gb 2.5" sata ssd.

It has 4 lan ports and can be used with pfsense or whatever you like.

Although it uses more power (atom cpu 10watt, dual core), it is also much faster than embedded systems.

Cpu power is important if you want higher throughtput from openvpn client.

139 / 179 usd is too much for an embedded system.

• Like 1

Yet ironically on your other thread you openly admit you don't have a clue what to do with it and can't make it work.

Since you're talking about running a full-blown Linux build on your new toy, you also have no way to make a comparison, either in performance or in the effort required to maintain it.

Perhaps you are missing the point of a "drop in" SNORT appliance?

Also, you may have underestimated the spec, which appears to be dual processor and compares favourably with commercial appliances.

ea758269aa7ae65e404567af422ff3a2_large.p

Just sayin' like.

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

Does the iGuardian support inspection of SSL encrypted traffic?

At this time SSL inspection is considered to be outside the scope of the project.

oops whistling.gif

The rest of the quote you omitted:

At this time SSL inspection is considered to be outside the scope of the project. In order to deliver a high quality product to our backers we are trying to be very careful about limiting scope creep in order to maximize our QA and Beta testing abilities.

SSL decryption and inspection is on the long term product roadmap however in our experience implementing this capability is not trivial. There are often serious performance impacts and many incompatibilities requiring a very long exclusion list which can be quite difficult for home users to manage.

I think they made the right decision. Even the commercial (SourceFire) SSL inspector runs on dedicated appliances like the 1500 and the 2000.

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• 4 months later...