NCPO Chief: Second phase of reform focuses on law rewrite

Lite Beer

NCPO Chief: Second phase of reform focuses on law rewrite

BANGKOK, 22 August 2014 (NNT) – Chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha views the first phase of reform a great success and has indicated that the second phase will seek to amend important laws.

On his weekly TV program, Gen Prayuth spoke of the progress of the NCPO’s national reform plan, saying the first phase, which targeted to address social issues, had concluded with satisfactory results. For instance, he noted that more than 800,000 migrant workers from Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos had been properly registered, marking the first step in the fight against human trafficking.

The NCPO Chief added that related officials would coordinate with the three neighboring countries in the nationality verification process, which is set to commence on October 31 and expected to finish by March 31 next year.

As for upcoming procedures, Gen Prayuth said the second phase had already begun, with a view to stamping out various pressing problems by legal means. Through the National Legislative Assembly and the National Reform Council, certain laws will be revised in order to reduce the overlapping of political and administrative laws and to keep them up-to-date with the current situation.

Among the laws that require alterations are those concerning corruption, human rights, human trafficking, wildlife trade and smuggling, intellectual property rights and trade and investment cooperation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-23 footer_n.gif

Does the law need to be rewritten ?

Proper ENFORCEMENT would be nice or is that too much of a radical idea ?

Some of the laws definitely do. Like those related to the ivory trade. Too many loopholes. Immigration laws also need to be updated. Penalties need to be higher. 500B fine for a serious offense is a joke.

The General has made great progress on human trafficking. More is needed, but a great step forward to get rid of these scum who prey on others.

The comment about corruption laws I would assume is self-explanatory.

All this change to be done under the cover of martial law. Without discussion on any of the areas to be looked at, the will of one person/or group are only considered. Consultation appears to be with a very small minority.

The problem with this process is that the problems that came out of the 2006 constitutional changes, have the capacity to repeat themselves down the track.

It’s like the box that was developed to detect bombs, approved by the defence force. There was the person recently that came out to support the box as a working and useful product. They don't work. But for the sake of pleasing the new regime you have people supporting change even if that change is of detriment to society.

Until martial law is lifted and freedom of the press/free speech is restored, the junta may suffer with sheep; that is people coming on side agreeing with process, without the thought of what that process may do to Thai society.

A post violating forum rules has been removed from view:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It could mean to consolidate some area's that need attention , if you get my drift NKK.

• Like 1

Not sure if the following was a quote by NCPO chief, General Prayuth or a paraphrasing of his words by the "News Team" :

"Among the laws that require alterations are those concerning corruption, human rights, human trafficking, wildlife trade and smuggling, intellectual property rights and trade and investment cooperation."

Whichever the case may be, I wonder if any such amendments could include a ban against the "placing into captivity or the use of cetaceans (dolphins and orcas specifically) in so-called "dolphinariums"? Surely, one would think that current laws to protect animals could be amended such that "cruel and inhumane treatment of our orcas and dolphins" (all animals for that matter) would be prohibited? The question as to what constitutes such "cruel and inhumane treatment" could be discussed and a workable definition arrived at without great difficulty, I would think. Would it be difficult to conclude that any such captivity, unless carried out for the sole purposes of providing critical care to a wounded or sick cetacean, is cruel and inhumane? Surely, not to a well-informed person or group?!! Just a thought! I wonder, does the NCPO monitor these forums? General Prayuth....if your guys are monitoring this forum, can you give this some thought? Please? Sure would be a bright feather in the NCPO's cap!

Can you just imagine this headline on the front pages of the world's news media and "as reported by CNN, Fox News, etc........

"Thailand's Junta, led by General Prayuth, Frees their Dolphins and Orcas!!"

or

"Thailand's Junta Show Their True Heart"

Dolphins and Orcas no Longer Prisoners in Thailand

and in the body of the news report

Breaking news....due to amendments made by members of Thailand's Junta, led by the far-sighted Generaly Prayuth, which have effectively banned the use of dolphins or orcas in "dolphinariums", , the "Nemo Dolphinarium" commonly referred to in world news as the "Phuket Dolphin Prison" will not open their doors in mid October as a "dolphinarium". Rather they have chosen to name their site as the "Chalong Hydrotherapy Centre for Rehabilitation"

One of their leading employees, Vladimir Vladimirovich Udovichenko has obtained preliminary contracts for such use with the various hospitals in Phuket. This was their original stated goal, so I am sure that they welcome this new and tested approach to rehabilitation. They are currently consulting with EWAC Medical and the several interested hospitals as to what devices would best suit the needs of the projected patients of this facility! Vladimir and his associates are to be commended for their innovative approach to what must have seemed to be an unsolvable dilemma to the amended laws re our dolphins and orcas. We, the news media, are happy to pass along the sincere good wishes which are being made by the public and the various parties who were formerly in strong opposition to the original facility. They said " All Success with your genuine Hydrotherapy Rehabilitation centre!!"

Many do along with enforcement. If you want an example of what is Thai typical in both lack of laws, poorly written laws and lack of enforcement then start with the recent surrogacy case. Or the fishing industry, or human trafficking, or foreign workers, jeez just take a pick or many laws. Some are fine and just need enforcement but there are many that need reviewed and rewritten.
  • Like 2

I'm sure everyone except rich businessmen and politicians and perhaps even a few good monks, would be very happy to see the end of "statute of limitations" on all crimes. Should be high up the list on change. And I'm pretty sure it will be. w00t.gif

The statute of limitations should be the first thing to get the chop, crime is crime so why should anyone be excused with going to trial.

• Like 2

Yes they do. And then I hope.he holds a judicial review of sentencing. Where a murderer can appeal and get bail, or a youth with one yaba pi gets 9 months and no bail.

It is a joke.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

All this change to be done under the cover of martial law. Without discussion on any of the areas to be looked at, the will of one person/or group are only considered. Consultation appears to be with a very small minority.

The problem with this process is that the problems that came out of the 2006 constitutional changes, have the capacity to repeat themselves down the track.

It’s like the box that was developed to detect bombs, approved by the defence force. There was the person recently that came out to support the box as a working and useful product. They don't work. But for the sake of pleasing the new regime you have people supporting change even if that change is of detriment to society.

Until martial law is lifted and freedom of the press/free speech is restored, the junta may suffer with sheep; that is people coming on side agreeing with process, without the thought of what that process may do to Thai society.

At least the Daily Mail is not blocked on the internet now

Wrong

When i click onto the sports section khun Junta blocks it,weird man????

Its like the box that was developed to detect bombs, approved by the defence force. There was the person recently that came out to support the box as a working and useful product. They don't work. But for the sake of pleasing the new regime you have people supporting change even if that change is of detriment to society.

Wrong

When i click onto the sports section khun Junta blocks it,weird man????

No wierd. Block for results. Gambling not allowed ;)

I'm sure everyone except rich businessmen and politicians and perhaps even a few good monks, would be very happy to see the end of "statute of limitations" on all crimes. Should be high up the list on change. And I'm pretty sure it will be. w00t.gif

The statute of limitations should be the first thing to get the chop, crime is crime so why should anyone be excused with going to trial.

Also if the person accused of a crime is not in the country then the case should be heard without him/her being present in if that person is found guilty and sentenced then IF that person returns he/she still has to go to prison for that crime. If you wanted to be nasty about it you could add 1 year for every year the offender stays away. To be really nasty if the offender does not appear in the court then the defence lawyer goes to jail as well as the offender when/if they return.

• Like 1

Just got 20,000 baht fine and order to stop teaching the little kids in my home. Now not permitted.sadly I am one of the few female teachers, with many years experience. Not like I doing a crime or anything. The dear mushroom pickers are always in my thoughts. Lawyers can be very lazy to fight cases. Wander if the general can help me. Think I will pay a visit.

• Like 1

No the problem was the 1997 constitution which gave the government way more power without enough checks and balances.

• Like 1

Just got 20,000 baht fine and order to stop teaching the little kids in my home. Now not permitted.sadly I am one of the few female teachers, with many years experience. Not like I doing a crime or anything. The dear mushroom pickers are always in my thoughts. Lawyers can be very lazy to fight cases. Wander if the general can help me. Think I will pay a visit.

Details please? Really you got fined for teaching at home?

The junta believes that the law needs to be rewritten so as to prevent the citizenry from wielding any meaningful political power.

Keeping those bloody peasants down at heel has always been a priority for the powers that be.

defamation and les majeste hopefully

Defamation for sure the way it is written now they might as well throw the whole thing out and start over again on it.

Yes les majeste could use some tuning up. But the basic principal or respect should be left alone. Some of the things considered disrespectful may well be but they are trivial and do not deserve long jail terms.

The junta believes that the law needs to be rewritten so as to prevent the citizenry from wielding any meaningful political power.

Keeping those bloody peasants down at heel has always been a priority for the powers that be.

Please try to make sense. I realize it may be hard for you.clap2.gif

Why would they rewrite the laws

to prevent the citizenry from wielding any meaningful political power

If the citizenry had always been held down?whistling.gif

Until martial law is lifted and freedom of the press/free speech is restored, the junta may suffer with sheep; that is people coming on

side agreeing with process, without the thought of what that process may do to Thai society.

supporting change even if that change is of detriment to society

Do you not realize that they changed a government that was a detriment to society into one that is working to reverse the damage that was done to the country by one man who when he couldn't order the ruling party created terrorism. I think that is a positive change.

The good old freedom of press and speech chestnut. Are you new to planet earth?

Name me one country that has that. Your just mad that it isn't your nonsense that is getting printed. As for freedom of speech take a good look you have not gotten your dribble deleted. For sure it is anti coup.

Welcome to 2014.wai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes they do. And then I hope.he holds a judicial review of sentencing. Where a murderer can appeal and get bail, or a youth with one yaba pi gets 9 months and no bail.

It is a joke.

Fully agree with you on that. I would think that should be one of the first things to be reformed. It would defiantly show the criminal minded people that they are serious.

Also if the person accused of a crime is not in the country then the case should be heard without him/her being present in if that person is found guilty and sentenced then IF that person returns he/she still has to go to prison for that crime. If you wanted to be nasty about it you could add 1 year for every year the offender stays away. To be really nasty if the offender does not appear in the court then the defence lawyer goes to jail as well as the offender when/if they return.

Ran out of likes and I really liked your idea. Also no special prison for them. Same as a murderer or drug dealer.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

AND...

What about the recent comment from Prayeth about telling immigration not to be strict about teachers with visas? Because recent immigration activity may create a English teacher shortage. Ya think?

Why not fix the law so immigration doesn't have a choice? Why not dump the 90 day crap?

A temporary "looking the other way" fixes nothing. It just leaves the door open to more scare tactics.

As usual, rhetoric fixes nothing.