Translation of official documents.

Hello,

I need to translate my driving license from Portuguese to Thai in order to ask the Thai driving license in transport department in Nathon.

I already went to some French consulate in Chaweng near a family mart in the street lights but they asked me for 1000 Baht for that which I think is unacceptable for a plastic card where there's only "Driver License" and "Portuguese republic" to translate, the rest is numbers and dates.

Thanks for any information.

I have been following this post to see what purpose your translated Portuguese driver license would be good for. When I applied for my Thai drivers license I was told that my valid US drivers license wasn't enough to get a Thai drivers license without taking the computerized test. In order to get around taking the computerized test a valid International Drivers Permit was needed. Mine had just expired by two months. I am returning to the US in two months where I will get a new one, and then go back to get my Thai drivers license.

Can you share the purpose of getting your drivers license translated?
Thanks

I went 2 days ago to the pronvincial transportation department in Lipa Noi with my passport, doctor declaration, emigration office declaration saying I live here legally and my Portuguese drivers license. It was told to me that I need a translation of my drivers license to thai in order to get the thai drivers license.

I will translate it and I will go there again.

I can post here the development of the situation to help more people with the same issue/situation.

I got my Thai DL with just my US license. No translation needed. But did need to do the eye sight and reflex tests. But it was in English. I'm guessing Portuguese is a different issue. But yes, and Int'l DL would probably also help, but not sure where you'd get that where he lives. And I'm sure it's over 1,000B anyway.

International Drivers Permits (IDP's) were GBP 5.50 (THB 286) from provincial post offices or the AA/RAC last time I checked. An out of date IDP supported by a full UK/EU licence was accepted some years ago for the purpose given in the OP as the local DVLA didn't seem to realise they're only valid for a year.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Once again the two last posts point out the inconsistency they have with regulations. I had an expired International Drivers Permit (IDP), that had the date smudged and a valid US Drivers License, and I was still required to take the written (computerized) test to obtain my Thai drivers license. If my IDP was current I wouldn't have had to take the written test. In both cases I would have taken the depth perception and reaction test.

Once again the two last posts point out the inconsistency they have with regulations. I had an expired International Drivers Permit (IDP), that had the date smudged and a valid US Drivers License, and I was still required to take the written (computerized) test to obtain my Thai drivers license. If my IDP was current I wouldn't have had to take the written test. In both cases I would have taken the depth perception and reaction test.

Did you get a scooter license also? If that wasn't on your US DL, you'd have to take that test. I got 2 licenses on the same day. The car was easy, the scooter I had to come back in the afternoon for the driving test, and had to do the written test before that. Again, just because of the scooter part.

I have used

Ot & Business Co. Ltd.

68/2 Moo 1 Maenam

077 962 289

for official translations.

Close to Samui Cable TV at Ring Road in Maenam.

It’s a question if OP’s Driver License needs to be translated by an authorized translator with right stamp and certificate – they do charge (well) for that service, mainly for the stamp and five pages of certificate proof.

There are other doing cheap translations, but without the authorization documents. Think there is one in the uphill swing at the road from Fisherman Village towards Bang Rak.

• Like 1

Did you get a scooter license also? If that wasn't on your US DL, you'd have to take that test. I got 2 licenses on the same day. The car was easy, the scooter I had to come back in the afternoon for the driving test, and had to do the written test before that. Again, just because of the scooter part.

Yes, my US Drivers License is endorsed for both motorcycle and for automobile. Even though both were valid still had to take written (computerized) test, do driving test was required.

oh well, as they say TIT

• 2 weeks later...