Living on a Junk?

GreyThunda

Yep, another one bailin out, so this is my first post and hope to get some help.

I have just started to inquire about staying in Thailand for six months of the year (April to September, yes the wet season) as I just need to get out of the winters in Tassy,

I'm not one for pubs and kicking up my heals (no there's nothin wrong with me) but love the sea and any sailing vessels so have this idea of buying a Junk and living on it and cruising the islands, maybe hire a crew and cook and enjoy life for six months then put the Junk up on the hard stand until I get back next year.

If anyone is or knows someone that is or has done this I would like to hear from you.

I had a 50' Ketch and cruised single handed up and down the east coast of Aus for five years from Cook Town to Hobart so now like the idea of Thailand.

From what I can find out it's better to buy a Junk there and have it refitted or even have a traditional Junk built and a lot cheaper than buying a Yacht in Aus and sailing it to Thailand any comments fellas?

0_2.jpg

You would be better off looking for a Junk in China or Vietnam. Thailand is not Junk-Country.

But, IMO it's not a bad idea to live on a comfortable ship/houseboat. In Thailand you can have a ship in your name, as opposed to a piece of land.

Cheers.

You would be better off looking for a Junk in China or Vietnam. Thailand is not Junk-Country.

But, IMO it's not a bad idea to live on a comfortable ship/houseboat. In Thailand you can have a ship in your name, as opposed to a piece of land.

Cheers.

Didn't know that, that's good news if the Mrs kicks me out.biggrin.png

• Like 2

A Tassie man!

For those wondering, Tassy or Tassie, is Tasmania, Australia. Most of us guys love a map of Tassie.

Mate if you do end up doing the junk adventure, please come back and tell us your tale!

Sounds fantastic to me :)

• Like 2

mate, cant blame you, daughter lives in Tassie, bloody cold in winter. If you look online in thew for sale sections for boats you might find something but for a junk I think you will need to look closer to China. I know I looked at cats a few years ago and they were very reasonably priced, shallow draft and easy to handle. Good luck with it, sounds like a good way to go.thumbsup.gif

I know someone who has invested a sizeable amount of money in this idea in LOS. FYI he checked the legal side with a fine toothcomb (he says) and a foreigner can own a boat and sail it here too!!!

I think you will see a sudden PR campaign very soon!

I know someone who has invested a sizeable amount of money in this idea in LOS. FYI he checked the legal side with a fine toothcomb (he says) and a foreigner can own a boat and sail it here too!!!

I think you will see a sudden PR campaign very soon!

We had a thread on this years ago if I recall.

Houseboats could make sense for foreigners (with money) especially considering nationwide watershed management.

Cheers.

I'm looking in all of S.E.Asia, but it's better to buy local if only for the rego, but if you think there not built in Thailand have a look at the link bellow.

http://www.boatsandrice.com/sGulfCoast.html

A Tassie man!

For those wondering, Tassy or Tassie, is Tasmania, Australia. Most of us guys love a map of Tassie.

Mate if you do end up doing the junk adventure, please come back and tell us your tale!

Sounds fantastic to me smile.png

I intend to do it that's for sure.

These things take time, in fact I'm surprised there has not been a syndicate offer time share or permanent live aboard rotation.

And everyone knows where Tassy is.... Surely every one thinks about Tassy when muff diving?

my people came from port auther area came from convict stock but eventually generations had farms in areas of tas and mainland i was going to retire there or nz but found to bloody cold

Now you know why I'm lookin for a Junk in S.E. Asia,

Our old mate Aurther Ritus caught up with me and suggested I get away for the winters.

Thanks for the comments fellas.

So if there are some that think it's a good idea why hasn't someone formed a syndicate on a larger tourist vessel as a form of income and a water front home.

It has huge advantages and as a syndicate everyone can rotate as managers if they chose to and have your own master cabin with office and bathroom.

It's not such a big deal if you think about it, reserve two master rotation cabins for share holder/managers, some others as permanent live aboard cabins (depending on how many shareholders and size of vessel)

There must be enough blokes that can put different skills into it? From chippys to chefs, plumbers, electricians, skippers, deck hands P.R. people, mechanics and so on, it's just a matter of getting some expressions of interest and forming a group and hatching it out.

So.... Any takers? if not I will carry on and do my own thing, but it's always good to have a trusted hand at the helm.

Play the part of Captain Jack Sparrow or Hugh Hefner if you like, as long as every one done their share it will be a great life style

Cheers.

Didn't know that, that's good news if the Mrs kicks me out.biggrin.png

Think of the benefits,

1. You can kick her out.

2. Water front living.

3. Go fishing any time you like from the lounge window.

4. Relocate if you get sick of barking dogs.

5. Private party's.

6. Produce your own bio fuel on board from waste cooking oil.

7. All willing female crew.

Do I need to go on?

you missed the biggest one of all, you can own it!

I have been a live aboard for about twenty years nothing compare the joy of living on the water. I have build a small junk (5m) just for fun. I would love to chat with you around a beer on your choice (no strings attached just friendly boaters talk) pm me if you want more info on boats as I have been working in the boating industry my entire life I might have some handy tips for you.

• Like 1

It sounds like a great idea, but, as others have pointed out, Thailand does not have much of a sailing tradition. My wife was raised down south, in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, and one of her uncles was a fishing boat captain. Even when she was a young girl, about 1970, she never saw a Thai sailing boat. So, it has been at least 40 or 50 years since commercial sailing ended in Thailand.

Another difficulty would be marinas. Western style marinas are few and far between Thailand, so you would either have to tie up next to some commercial fishing boats in their rather rough and ready harbors or anchor offshore (with a good windlass and ground tackle this would probably be a better idea).

Finally, if you check the prevailing winds in Thailand, it will be obvious why Thais turned to diesel earlier than their Vietnamese or Malay neighbors. Winds in Thailand tend to be light and inconsistent. If you look at the 'sailing' junks in Phuket and Samui, their sails are ridiculously undersized, as they are just for show. Most of those boats will spend most of their time motoring.

If you do get a Vietnamese or Chinese Junk, be sure to post about your adventures here. Us armchair sailors in Bangkok would love to here how it goes.

How fast we forget. This was taken in the 70"s no speedboats, no jetskis just a junk

G'day Boat Freak.

I'm always up for a yarn on boats, and Gaff rig Schooners are my go.

The photo you posted looks exactly like Airlie Beach North Qld to me, and a Junk would mot be out of place there as there are a few about,

To the others that posted a reply. Thanks for the comments, I'm not one that enjoys being rafted up along side a fleet of stinkin fishing boats, I prefer to swing on the pick and use a decent size dingy to get stores, but will come in for fuel and water if I must but prefer to desalinate off shore or rig a sail for rain water.

I have always careened the old way on the inside of a bend on a sandy creak, and lay her over with the winch to mangroves to scrub her arse as the tide drops, it don't take long and saves a bundle but with the environment laws it's not possible anymore.

Cheers.