Thai Commerce Minister to consider plans to reduce cost of living

webfact

The last adjustment to the 'minimum wage' was in January 2013. Isn't is about time to plan a new 'inflation' adjustment for January 2015?

I very much doubt that helping the poor make ends meet is high on the list of priorities of a junta that sits on the far right of the political spectrum.

It never has been in the past.

Well, I'm aware of your negative attitute towards the NCPO, but your doubts do not really help much.

Mind you the previous government didn't really have the poor much in mind either apart from the odd crumbs and the promise to have Ms. Yingluck pass by regularly. IMHO

May be a Thai should ask the NCPO to help enforce the 300 Baht a day minimum wage, as first step, or do you think that would harm the economy ?

You are right that as a Thai I doubt the NCPO, mainly because I am not allowed to read a truthful account of their actions in the press. I'm also surprised that a Dutchman born just after WWII would support an ultra right wing military junta, and this makes me believe that your arguments are based on a fundamental hypocrisy.

Enforcing the minimum wage is done through the labour department, and if you don't pay it then they will make a ruling against you. Of course there will always be cowboy employers who operate outside the system, but mainstream business abides by the law - if they underpay, their workers would in any case go elsewhere. Most business people that I know pay it and are still surviving. Thailand lost the its competitive position in commodity labour a while back, and the minimum wage had nothing to do with that. We start our factory workers on the minimum wage, or above if they have specific skills, then raise their pay incrementally each year to keep pace with the cost of living.

Edited by Thanet
  • Like 1

I live up country. Yesterday we went out to pay bills and decided to eat lunch at the food court at a shopping center. I will not mention the name, but they are everywhere and all of the shopping centers seem to be run the same way. Anyway, we first noticed that the eating area was almost deserted. Only 2 other families when last we attended there were about 35. Then we ordered our food. We were a bit shocked that the B30 meals had now become B45, which is a 50 % increase. When starting to eat, we realized the meat was almost non existent and the meal consisted mostly of cheap rice. It is know wonder the place was empty.

A great Thai business model. 16 different fast food shops, with each having 2-3 employees sitting around picking their nose and squeezing pimples. 50% increase in price. 80% decrease in quality. I wonder why the customers are staying away?

Walking around the mall, we saw 3 other empty shells where full restaurants had been set up.

Yes, i think there is a problem.

rolleyes.gif

What would you like the government to do about it?

I would presume the rise in price is more to do with the rent that these shops have to pay.

The last adjustment to the 'minimum wage' was in January 2013. Isn't is about time to plan a new 'inflation' adjustment for January 2015?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't you complain about the raising of the minimum wage by the PTP government? Something about being populist?

Did it make everyone richer? No, the cost of living went up as well.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't you complain about the raising of the minimum wage by the PTP government? Something about being populist?

Did it make everyone richer? No, the cost of living went up as well.

As a result of the minimum wage rising or despite? I would suggest the latter argument and to deny that rise would have condemned those on a minimum wage to even more hardship.

• Like 1

I very much doubt that helping the poor make ends meet is high on the list of priorities of a junta that sits on the far right of the political spectrum.

Well, I'm aware of your negative attitute towards the NCPO, but your doubts do not really help much.

Mind you the previous government didn't really have the poor much in mind either apart from the odd crumbs and the promise to have Ms. Yingluck pass by regularly. IMHO

May be a Thai should ask the NCPO to help enforce the 300 Baht a day minimum wage, as first step, or do you think that would harm the economy ?

You are right that as a Thai I doubt the NCPO, mainly because I am not allowed to read a truthful account of their actions in the press. I'm also surprised that a Dutchman born just after WWII would support an ultra right wing military junta, and this makes me believe that your arguments are based on a fundamental hypocrisy.

Enforcing the minimum wage is done through the labour department, and if you don't pay it then they will make a ruling against you. Of course there will always be cowboy employers who operate outside the system, but mainstream business abides by the law - if they underpay, their workers would in any case go elsewhere. Most business people that I know pay it and are still surviving. Thailand lost the its competitive position in commodity labour a while back, and the minimum wage had nothing to do with that. We start our factory workers on the minimum wage, or above if they have specific skills, then raise their pay incrementally each year to keep pace with the cost of living.

I see you know all about how laws and their enforcement work in Thailand. Well with you being Thai that should be 'natural'. Mind you non-Thai have remarked that what seems like a larger segment of those on minimum wage are actually under minimum wage. Exploited as it were. Of course foreigners might have the wrong impression, but it would seem it's more you who only sees what he likes to see.

BTW stop referring to WWII as if that has anything to do with how I should see things, especially as it would seem I need to see things your way. Your insolent tone starts to annoy me and reminsd me of former communists who, reasoning from their own ideas always managed to blame all others.

I see you know all about how laws and their enforcement work in Thailand. Well with you being Thai that should be 'natural'. Mind you non-Thai have remarked that what seems like a larger segment of those on minimum wage are actually under minimum wage. Exploited as it were. Of course foreigners might have the wrong impression, but it would seem it's more you who only sees what he likes to see.

BTW stop referring to WWII as if that has anything to do with how I should see things, especially as it would seem I need to see things your way. Your insolent tone starts to annoy me and reminsd me of former communists who, reasoning from their own ideas always managed to blame all others.

Your post is hypocritical: You are telling me to stop pointing out that you say things in a certain way in contradiction to your background, while at the same time you are telling me that I see things in a certain way because I am Thai.

And to say that foreigners have the impression that Thai workers are exploited is an oversimplification, based on a few news articles that sensationalise cowboy employers who break the rules.

Most foreigners I meet who know Thailand well are aware that mainstream business treats its employees fairly, in accordance with the law, and often rewards its employees in excess of the legal minimums so that they don't go elsewhere.

You have a lot to learn about Thailand.

• Like 1

Your post is hypocritical: You are telling me to stop pointing out that you say things in a certain way in contradiction to your background, while at the same time you are telling me that I see things in a certain way because I am Thai.

And to say that foreigners have the impression that Thai workers are exploited is an oversimplification, based on a few news articles that sensationalise cowboy employers who break the rules.

Most foreigners I meet who know Thailand well are aware that mainstream business treats its employees fairly, in accordance with the law, and often rewards its employees in excess of the legal minimums so that they don't go elsewhere.

Spoken like a read Thai, bravo!

As for the off topic WWII, you show your bias by stating "you say things in a certain way in contradiction to your background"

As for the off topic WWII, you show your bias by stating "you say things in a certain way in contradiction to your background"

Spoken like one who thinks he can win an argument by having the last word, even when he been defeated. Bravo!

Spoken like one who thinks he can win an argument by having the last word, even when he been defeated. Bravo!

Spoken like one who likes to annoy and bait, it would seem.

You suggest that 'mainstream' businesses treat they employees fairly suggesting that that should be enough. Tell me what 'mainstream' business are and how many they employ.

"Enforcing the minimum wage is done through the labour department, and if you don't pay it then they will make a ruling against you."

and explain again why Thai complain (if they dare to that is) that they still don't get 300 Baht / day. How non-Thai workings are exploited. Thailand is a bit bigger than Bangkok you know. The mobility you suggest is also dependent on possibility. The "take it or leave it" option sounds better than it is in practise.

So what is the junta's list of priorities if helping the poor isn't one of them?

So what is the junta's list of priorities if helping the poor isn't one of them?

Helping themselves and their cronies, if we look at the rich history of military governments here. But we'll never know for sure as reporting on what they do is forbidden, unless it is intended to flatter them.

Helping themselves and their cronies, if we look at the rich history of military governments here. But we'll never know for sure as reporting on what they do is forbidden, unless it is intended to flatter them.

Same as Thaksin did. I guess they are all the same then here in Thailand.

Somehow I think we have more opinion here than real truth and facts. Allegedly of course.

BTW

"Tax reforms, energy reforms, public-debt management, restructuring of state enterprises, investment in infrastructure, and creation of value-added agricultural products are the six priority tasks on the government agenda to restructure the economy during its year-long stint."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761317-new-thai-govt-six-items-top-the-agenda-of-interim-military-regime/

Somehow I think we have more opinion here than real truth and facts. Allegedly of course.

BTW

"Tax reforms, energy reforms, public-debt management, restructuring of state enterprises, investment in infrastructure, and creation of value-added agricultural products are the six priority tasks on the government agenda to restructure the economy during its year-long stint."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761317-new-thai-govt-six-items-top-the-agenda-of-interim-military-regime/

On the subject of priorities, you seem to conveniently prioritise future tense promises over historical facts. It let's you make things up as you go along.

And with the censored press, how will you really know one way or the other how much progress is made on any of these promises, or how much pocket filling is going on behind the wall of secrecy?

I suppose you habit of disregarding historical facts, and believing whatever you see on Friday Prayers, has led to to a Dutchman of your age supporting a far right wing military government.
Edited by Thanet

BTW

On the subject of priorities, you seem to conveniently prioritise future tense promises over historical facts. It let's you make things up as you go along.

And with the censored press, how will you really know one way or the other how much progress is made on any of these promises, or how much pocket filling is going on behind the wall of secrecy?

I suppose you habit of disregarding historical facts, and believing whatever you see on Friday Prayers, has led to to a Dutchman of your age supporting a far right wing military government.

Some of us have been here for a very long time. We surely have seen more than Friday Prayers. You seem to imply that if you support Prayuth you are a weak and easy to manipulate person (believing whatever you see). Taking into account that the vast majority of Thais support Prayuth, it is not a nice thing to say.

You believe Thailand would have been able to solve it's serious issues the way things were going before Prayuth stepped in? You really don't see any improvements?

BTW

My dear chap, historical facts only show us that this junta promised nothing till now because they didn't exist till now. Therefor I have to start with the priotarisation the government has told us about now. On this we can measure their performance, not on what other government have done or not have done.

As for censorship, don't worry, news will leak out even if you can't read it here in Thailand.

As for your last sentence, once more 'stop that crap!' Don't show your ignorance by trying to bait me. You have no idea what colourful and varied believes Europeans of my age have. You just assume that there must be something wrong in being not negative about the NCPO which stopped seven months of chaos and has a majority of Thai behind them. No need to believe me. Just ask around, preferably outside your usual circle of law abiding more than minimum wage paying friends.

So, back to the topic, no words from you yet on whether or not you think the MoC should do something to elevate the needs of the poor.

BTW

Some of us have been here for a very long time. We surely have seen more than Friday Prayers. You seem to imply that if you support Prayuth you are a weak and easy to manipulate person (believing whatever you see). Taking into account that the vast majority of Thais support Prayuth, it is not a nice thing to say.

You believe Thailand would have been able to solve it's serious issues the way things were going before Prayuth stepped in? You really don't see any improvements?

How do you know that the vast majority of Thais support Prayuth? Was he elected by the vast majority of Thais? I must have missed that part.

Prayuth stepped in to control a crisis that he himself was instrumental in causing in the first place. Had his lot not meddled with the democratic process and ridden roughshod over the choices that they citizenry had made, then they would never have had the pretext to take over by force in the first place. And if you don't call outright censorship of the press manipulation, then what do you call it?

Now we have repression - quiet for now because they force it to be s by throwing people in jail who dare to criticise, but the underlying problem remains.

Thaksin would have been kicked out sooner or later at the ballot box. Thailand would have remained a free and democratic country.

• Like 1

BTW

My dear chap, historical facts only show us that this junta promised nothing till now because they didn't exist till now. Therefor I have to start with the priotarisation the government has told us about now. On this we can measure their performance, not on what other government have done or not have done.

As for censorship, don't worry, news will leak out even if you can't read it here in Thailand.

As for your last sentence, once more 'stop that crap!' Don't show your ignorance by trying to bait me. You have no idea what colourful and varied believes Europeans of my age have. You just assume that there must be something wrong in being not negative about the NCPO which stopped seven months of chaos and has a majority of Thai behind them. No need to believe me. Just ask around, preferably outside your usual circle of law abiding more than minimum wage paying friends.

So, back to the topic, no words from you yet on whether or not you think the MoC should do something to elevate the needs of the poor.

The junta didn't exist until now? Very funny to watch you squirm, were your remarks not so ridiculous. If Thaksin formed a new party, by the same twisted logic you'd be telling me that 'it didn't exist until now', and should therefore be excused of past wrongdoings, right?

The junta and the army are the same thing. To ignore historical precedence is nonsense.

The junta didn't exist until now? Very funny to watch you squirm, were your remarks not so ridiculous. If Thaksin formed a new party, by the same twisted logic you'd be telling me that 'it didn't exist until now', and should therefore be excused of past wrongdoings, right?

The junta and the army are the same thing. To ignore historical precedence is nonsense.

You seem to have missed that this topic is on the Ministry of Commerce considering plans on reducing costs of living. Furthermore I mentioned that maybe after nearly two years it would be time to look at the minimum wage level and make some 'inflation corrections'.

All your comments seem to concentrate on junta bashing while at the same time giving the impression that of course Thai companies and Thai faithfully follow labour laws and even pay more than necessary, and foreigners know nothing.

It would seem you're either just insulting and trying to disrupt affairs here, or you might be the prime example why Thailand needs reforms and education. IMHO

BTW

How do you know that the vast majority of Thais support Prayuth? Was he elected by the vast majority of Thais? I must have missed that part.

Prayuth stepped in to control a crisis that he himself was instrumental in causing in the first place. Had his lot not meddled with the democratic process and ridden roughshod over the choices that they citizenry had made, then they would never have had the pretext to take over by force in the first place. And if you don't call outright censorship of the press manipulation, then what do you call it?

Now we have repression - quiet for now because they force it to be s by throwing people in jail who dare to criticise, but the underlying problem remains.

Thaksin would have been kicked out sooner or later at the ballot box. Thailand would have remained a free and democratic country.

How do you know that the vast majority of Thais support Prayuth? Was he elected by the vast majority of Thais? I must have missed that part. Polls and surveys indicate that up to 84% of the Thai population support what the general is doing. You MUST have missed that.

Prayuth stepped in to control a crisis that he himself was instrumental in causing in the first place. Had his lot not meddled with the democratic process and ridden roughshod over the choices that they citizenry had made, then they would never have had the pretext to take over by force in the first place. And if you don't call outright censorship of the press manipulation, then what do you call it? The press also shares some blame blame for all the division and hatred we had the last decade. They should take a step back. I support censorship in this case.

Now we have repression - quiet for now because they force it to be s by throwing people in jail who dare to criticise, underlying problem remains. Constructive criticism is fine. Just don't say things that could instigate hatred and violence.

Thaksin would have been kicked out sooner or later at the ballot box. Thailand would have remained a free and democratic country. Thailand was never a real democratic country. Democracy has been abused by wealthy corrupt politicians businessman. Example: Thailand has much more corruption than China. Funny heeh. (can be proven. Google it).

And....When Pruyuth stepped in, the killings stopped and most murderers have been caught. Under Yingluck's democratic watch no killer got caught. Yes, VIVA Thai democracy. Yingluck couldn't reform the country therefor we are where we are now.

How do you know that the vast majority of Thais support Prayuth? Was he elected by the vast majority of Thais? I must have missed that part. Polls and surveys indicate that up to 84% of the Thai population support what the general is doing. You MUST have missed that.

Prayuth stepped in to control a crisis that he himself was instrumental in causing in the first place. Had his lot not meddled with the democratic process and ridden roughshod over the choices that they citizenry had made, then they would never have had the pretext to take over by force in the first place. And if you don't call outright censorship of the press manipulation, then what do you call it? The press also shares some blame blame for all the division and hatred we had the last decade. They should take a step back. I support censorship in this case.

Now we have repression - quiet for now because they force it to be s by throwing people in jail who dare to criticise, underlying problem remains. Constructive criticism is fine. Just don't say things that could instigate hatred and violence.

Thaksin would have been kicked out sooner or later at the ballot box. Thailand would have remained a free and democratic country. Thailand was never a real democratic country. Democracy has been abused by wealthy corrupt politicians businessman. Example: Thailand has much more corruption than China. Funny heeh. (can be proven. Google it).

And....When Pruyuth stepped in, the killings stopped and most murderers have been caught. Under Yingluck's democratic watch no killer got caught. Yes, VIVA Thai democracy. Yingluck couldn't reform the country therefor we are where we are now.

Hmmm. The pollsters say that 84% support the junta eh? No need for an election ever again then.

To say that you support a censored media, then to quote poll results that are presented by that same censored media, is a rather paradoxical argument. Think about it, and I'll give you a clue: if the media is censored, the opinion of the censor gets in the way, so how on earth can you then quote poll results as fact? It's like a house with no foundations - there is no basis to your claim.

And looking at another telling point about how censorship affect your opinions by hiding facts. Well the Chinese press has been censored a lot longer than the Thai press, so I'd hazard a guess that this is why you believe that Thailand has much more corruption than China smile.png.

Enjoy your day.

Hmmm. The pollsters say that 84% support the junta eh? No need for an election ever again then.

To say that you support a censored media, then to quote poll results that are presented by that same censored media, is a rather paradoxical argument. Think about it, and I'll give you a clue: if the media is censored, the opinion of the censor gets in the way, so how on earth can you then quote poll results as fact? It's like a house with no foundations - there is no basis to your claim.

And looking at another telling point about how censorship affect your opinions by hiding facts. Well the Chinese press has been censored a lot longer than the Thai press, so I'd hazard a guess that this is why you believe that Thailand has much more corruption than China smile.png.

Enjoy your day.

To say that you support a censored media

I said following:The press also shares some blame for all the division and hatred we had the last decade. They should take a step back. I support censorship in this case.

Not same same buddy. Anyhow have a nice day too!

Edited by Nickymaster

You seem to have missed that this topic is on the Ministry of Commerce considering plans on reducing costs of living. Furthermore I mentioned that maybe after nearly two years it would be time to look at the minimum wage level and make some 'inflation corrections'.

All your comments seem to concentrate on junta bashing while at the same time giving the impression that of course Thai companies and Thai faithfully follow labour laws and even pay more than necessary, and foreigners know nothing.

It would seem you're either just insulting and trying to disrupt affairs here, or you might be the prime example why Thailand needs reforms and education. IMHO

Well I'm glad to see that you support a minimum wage. Quick question: who introduced it? Who introduced the right to see a doctor for 30 Baht? Holland is a very egalitarian country, one that values freedom, cares for its needy, and rejects tyranny, so I'm glad that you seem to be in agreement that these changes to help the lower echelons of society lead dignified lives are for the common good.

If you've been here for a while, and if you know what you are talking about, then you'll know that you won't run out of fingers counting what the other side of the political spectrum has done for the poor here. Let them eat cake, just about sums it up. Oh dear, silly me. You've already told me that you don't think historical precedent matters, even to the grossly exaggerated extent of pretending that the junta, having only come into existence on the day of the coup, had nothing to do with the RTA that has been in existence for a very long time. Forgetting about the past, all the matters to you is vague promises in the future tense, dished out in Friday Prayers, when there are so many more interesting things to watch on TV.

The Commerce Minister can talk about things in the future as much as he likes, about what will be but isn't (for one or another reason) yet, and it seems to be all that you need to feel satisfied.

Actions speak louder than words.

Edited by Thanet

Well I'm glad to see that you support a minimum wage. Quick question: who introduced it? Who introduced the right to see a doctor for 30 Baht? Holland is a very egalitarian country, one that values freedom, cares for its needy, and rejects tyranny, so I'm glad that you seem to be in agreement that these changes to help the lower echelons of society lead dignified lives are for the common good.

If you've been here for a while, and if you know what you are talking about, then you'll know that you won't run out of fingers counting what the other side of the political spectrum has done for the poor here. Let them eat cake, just about sums it up. Oh dear, silly me. You've already told me that you don't think historical precedent matters, even to the grossly exaggerated extent of pretending that the junta, having only come into existence on the day of the coup, had nothing to do with the RTA that has been in existence for a very long time. Forgetting about the past, all the matters to you is vague promises in the future tense, dished out in Friday Prayers, when there are so many more interesting things to watch on TV.

The Commerce Minister can talk about things in the future as much as he likes, about what will be but isn't (for one or another reason) yet, and it seems to be all that you need to feel satisfied.

Actions speak louder than words.

After lots of obfuscation you 'finally' are glad I support the minimum wage? As for who introduced the minimum wage law, well rumour has it that it was introduced in April 1973 and that would mean by the National Executive Council under its leader Field Marchall Thanom Kittikachorn

"Minimum wage laws were first introduced in April 1973 after the legalization of unions in 1972."

http://countrystudies.us/thailand/65.htm

The 30 Baht scheme was prepared by the Democrat party under the PM Chuan government, but introduced (and underfunded) by PM Thaksin. In 2007 the PM Surayuth government made the scheme completely free (and still didn't fund it sufficiently) as collecting 30 Baht cost 80 Baht to administer. Of course Pheu Thai had to have the "30 Baht scheme" back because that reminded of their great thinker. I wouldn't be surprised if when he gets around it PM Prayuth or the Minister involved will order dropping the 30 Baht again. With inflation it might cost 100 Baht to administer by now for all I know.

So, to return to the topic do you agree or disagree with the Ministry of Commerce considering plans to reduce costs of living? Note that first you need to talk about it, form a well founded plan before introducing something. Almost farang style wink.png

Edited by rubl