Importing a Buddha statue INTO Thailand...any experiences?

Greeting, esteemed advisors!

Immediately, please may I bypass references to 'importing coals to Newcastle' (for the Brits) and other pithy remarks about why I am asking this question about apparent reverse-importation.

The facts are simple. We've decided to move to Thailand and, as I have done before, I'm shipping all my worldly goods because I like having my stuff with me.

Included are three stone statues, each about a metre high: a seated Buddha, a head of Shiva and a statue of Ganesh.

If I want to leave Thailand with my stuff in the future I realise that exporting the Buddha may be an issue.

Has anyone had any experience regarding the regulations of importing a Buddha statue into Thailand?

............or any help around this issue would be useful.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

wai.gif

post-189147-0-97281300-1411713271_thumb.

post-189147-0-06738400-1411713317_thumb.

post-189147-0-88607500-1411713365_thumb.

Hi Joe,

I thought my post was more about immigration than business.........I mean, nobody wants to make a business of importing Buddha images into Thailand.

I thought I might get more info from someone who had immigrated with their household effects.

...........but, whatever you think best. I'm just after answers. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the Thai customs link. I have checked that page already and also tried to email the Government Dept. of Fine Arts (but it seems impossible to use their online query system unless you speak Thai).

I'll try the customs email in the link you sent. Many thanks. wai.gif

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I understand the point you make. The whole Idea is for me to be able to get the statues out again at a later stage.

I bought them in Bali some years ago. They have no connection with Thailand at all. As to documentation..........I certainly had some (in 1995!)........so I guess I'll have to start searching!

Cheers!

@Aussieroaming

You are too kind!!

The photos are shit, I'm afraid. There were only taken for shipping purposes.

When I bought the Buddha it took me a day of looking at acres of statues to find one with the right level of compassionate expression!!

Cheers!