Could anyone recommend a Thai-made water filter for Bangkok please?

BigOm19

Links would be great.

Please describe your own experience in using it (them). Thanks.

Have done a search but the most recent threads are quite a few years old.

PS: I'm living in a condo, not a house.

Edited by BigOm19

Hi we use a Mazuma reverse osmosis water filter and have done for a number of years. They are a Thai company based in bkk and their customer service is excellent. Spare parts readily available and technical help too. Can personally recommend http://www.mazuma.co.th/

I've had one of these for 7 years. It is a very good filter and the only issue I have had has been with the subcontractors that have installed it as we have had the kitchen flood twice due to the shoddy installation

Hi we use a Mazuma reverse osmosis water filter and have done for a number of years. They are a Thai company based in bkk and their customer service is excellent. Spare parts readily available and technical help too. Can personally recommend http://www.mazuma.co.th/

Hi Karen and all,

I have called both Mazuma and Aquatech. Customer service at the 2nd was a bit sketchy but they got back to me with an English speaker in about 15 minutes. Mazuma has a dedicated English service. Very smooth. At first, I was leaning towards Aquatech only because their HQ is nearer where I live but I really liked the ease of the customer service at Mazuma.

There's a current promotion price of 4990THB for the full Mazuma AQ-5F-UVS valid till 10th Oct 2014.

Replacement filters cost 1615THB for the set (to be replaced once a year) with UV lamp 1600THB.

I'm still waiting for the brochure from Aquatech....

Thanks again.

No point in going for RO unit, keep it more simple with UV and a cartridge pre-filter min. 5um. If you order a transparent housing for the pre-filter, I'd recommend you change it then based on degree of visual discolouration and sediment build-up.

Question is just how much water do you drink ?

The big 20 lt bottles delivered cost 15 baht each. if you use this water just for drinking = much cheaper per year then the replacement filters and UV lamp.. Then you have to buy the machine, plumb it in, maybe have a problem or breakdown in a few years....

I bought one + was expensive 11 years ago, lasted 6 years... now buy the 20 lt Mineral water @ 50 baht delivered

The big 20 lt bottles delivered cost 15 baht each. if you use this water just for drinking = much cheaper per year then the replacement filters and UV lamp.. Then you have to buy the machine, plumb it in, maybe have a problem or breakdown in a few years....

I bought one + was expensive 11 years ago, lasted 6 years... now buy the 20 lt Mineral water @ 50 baht delivered

We would drink an estimated 90-100 18.9L-bottles/year from Sprinkle x 60 THB = 6000 THB at average current usage.

At those rates, it's likely we would need 2 changes of filters a year 1615 THB x 2 = 3230 THB

+ 1 change of UV light/year = 1600 THB

I think Sprinkle uses Reverse Osmosis as part of its process. Fluoride in tap water is a concern.

... It just occurred to me we do go to the loo more often here on Sprinkle than in my home country where I have an alkaline ionizer. Think I will have to consider that instead.

• 3 weeks later...

We would drink an estimated 90-100 18.9L-bottles/year from Sprinkle x 60 THB = 6000 THB at average current usage.

At those rates, it's likely we would need 2 changes of filters a year 1615 THB x 2 = 3230 THB

+ 1 change of UV light/year = 1600 THB

I think Sprinkle uses Reverse Osmosis as part of its process. Fluoride in tap water is a concern.

... It just occurred to me we do go to the loo more often here on Sprinkle than in my home country where I have an alkaline ionizer. Think I will have to consider that instead.

Dear All,

An update: I eventually decided on the eCosway Hexagon Alkaline Hydrogen Water Filter.

http://water-h2o-alkaline.blogspot.com/2013/09/hexagon-alkaline-hydrogen.html

It costs more than SPRINKLE in the first year. I spent more than I was expecting to but that's ok for what I'm getting. Now that we've started cooking occasionally, we're washing vegetables with fresh lime juice or vinegar with water to remove petrochemical pesticides. So we average more water than previously stated, nearer the 8,000 THB mark or more. The Hexagon should pay for itself by the second year. I wanted something that removes chlorine and fluoride. AquaTech offered to fit me an extra "alkalizer" with their existing 4-stage filter - it could have worked but they didn't have the write-up in English describing the materials and process. Although I’m sure if I pursued it some more, the very personable and helpful Khun Nippadol will have come up with something.

Again, my own experience has been that my body absorbs alkalized water better. Reverse Osmosis (eg. SPRINKLE) is not enough.

Do note that this is the budget model (there are 3 others on the eCosway website including a cheaper, more portable version), water flow is quite slow and works best for a family of 2. It takes around 13-15 minutes to fill an 18.9-litre water cooler drum three-quarters of the way. Since the spout is very short and the edge of the kitchen sink isn't level with the worktop, it stands rather awkwardly. When filling, the unit has to be tilted to reach the mouth of the water cooler drum. The drum fits my smaller than average kitchen sink. Empty drums available at HomePro at around 250 THB each,.

I haven't cut the hose it came with for the time being until I decide what to do about the positioning to make it more aesthetic. Likely wall brackets to lift it off the sink but close enough so that the spout can drip into the sink when not in use which it occasionally does. Water from the kitchen tap splashes on the unit when we're doing the washing up. Not that that would affect the unit since it operates without electricity. The casing of the unit is flimsy, wouldn’t hold the weight of the unit like drilling a hole into it to hang like a picture frame off the wall.

It costs 9,900 THB with all four cartridges, with an extra cartridges #2 and #3 free as these have to changed every 3000 litres. Cartridges #1 and #4 are changed every 6000 litres. eCosway members get a substantial discount – membership is free once you buy a filter.

The eCosway shop in Times Square Sukhumvit is no longer there as listed on their website, only at The Mall Ramkhamhaeng, open daily. English on the phone is limited - they couldn't answer questions on any of their filters – but in person Khun Wason was eager to help and great at demonstrating the self-installation (English plus body language).

Information from the US site:

http://www.ecosway.com/usstore/us/ProductDetails_us.jsp?prodId=48121&categoryRefNo=0&categoryGroup=DP

I may have considered getting one of the more expensive options if I didn't already have a water cooler.

post-197015-0-17410300-1414490371_thumb.

post-197015-0-73055200-1414490398_thumb.

Edited by BigOm19

• 10 months later...

I have had a positive experience with Aquatech:

http://www.aquatech.co.th/

I've been using a model which I bought several years ago periodically replacing the filters and UV light.

Decent service and I haven't been down with any stomach issues (except for the one time I am sure was

owing to bad burger meat) so I guess it does its job.

I would also recommend AquaTech, I've been using the A_T35 model for the past 2 years. Does the job and reasonably priced