Change gearbox from manual to automatic ?

Martinluka

yeah TH400's are decent boxes with some coin thrown at them. A built one to take 1000hp can be had for $2000 these days throw a decent convertor behind it (bout $1000) and you will have a very stout combo that will live happily on the street or strip.

Personally though if I was to go for a built auto it would be a powerglide (if strip car) or 4L80E (for street car)which is the modern day version of the TH400 but has the 4th gear overdrive.

Yep, in my time the 4 speed 4L80E wasn't around (or was but new, can't remember). That box would have been on my agenda if my shit hadn't happened.

When I converted to auto I think I lost 2/10's of a second on the strip via auto trans HP consumption and not aligned flash stall ..BUT, on the street it was great with the awesome B&M Super Hole Shot converter, the best engineered converter ever for street strip use.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

hello, so it seems a bad idea even on a 2012/2013 car ?

What if i wait that the gearbox has problem and then change for automatic, an auto box should not cost a lot more than a manual ? Or am i totally wrong ?

And actually i don't even know if my manual box will have problem ? Any maintenance needed?

Thank you for your help.

24 minutes ago, questionsreplies said:

hello, so it seems a bad idea even on a 2012/2013 car ?

What if i wait that the gearbox has problem and then change for automatic, an auto box should not cost a lot more than a manual ? Or am i totally wrong ?

And actually i don't even know if my manual box will have problem ? Any maintenance needed?

Thank you for your help.

This thread is nearly 5 years old.

Transam was the last poster on Posted October 18, 2014

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, transam said:

Eeeer, life support.....:stoner:

I am trying to source a turbo charged zimmer frame with a double clutch 10 speed auto gearbox with the gear paddles on the zimmer frame.

No luck so far.

Just now, billd766 said:

I am trying to source a turbo charged zimmer frame with a double clutch 10 speed auto gearbox with the gear paddles on the zimmer frame.

No luck so far.

It is possible but tyre choise will be a ploblem in your case....:stoner:

• Like 1