Thai women pinching their noses.

jackspade

I see a lot of young Thai girls squeezing the bridge of their nose. I asked one of them why they do it and she said it's because they want to have more prominent nose bridges instead of the flat, Isaan style noses.

What's the prognosis of this procedure? I'm thinking give it ten years of continuous daily nose-pinching and you'll notice an improvement.

Hilarious they actually think it does anything...

Edited by jackspade

Jack you are confused. You are in Vietnam. It is a pressure point to relieve a headache.

Nostrils Point:

Put your index finger on either side of your nostrils and massage it gently. This point is marked C in the above picture. Your finger should be placed on the edge of your nostrils. You need to press both the sides of your nostrils simultaneously. Repeat this gentle massage for 5 minutes everyday. You will be activating all the points around the eyes with this massage. This point will help to prevent unclear vision, head aches, sinus pain and nasal congestion.

I know you tried so hard to make fun of Asian woman again but you get a complete fail on this attempt.

i'm not a doctor by any means or in the know of pressure points but my forte is drinking pints.

Have asked this ? on numerous occasions with the same result from those in the industry and indeed resulting answers is the same as the op states,together with the numerous amounts of thai ladies you see using nasal sniffers,which again is to clear the head.

Jack you are confused. You are in Vietnam. It is a pressure point to relieve a headache.

Nostrils Point:

Put your index finger on either side of your nostrils and massage it gently. This point is marked C in the above picture. Your finger should be placed on the edge of your nostrils. You need to press both the sides of your nostrils simultaneously. Repeat this gentle massage for 5 minutes everyday. You will be activating all the points around the eyes with this massage. This point will help to prevent unclear vision, head aches, sinus pain and nasal congestion.

I know you tried so hard to make fun of Asian woman again but you get a complete fail on this attempt.

Not really trying hard at all, the words just sort of flowed effortlessly. However, I am on the BTS and I have a minor headache so I'll try your advice.

Nostrils Point:

i'm not a doctor by any means or in the know of pressure points but my forte is drinking pints.

Have asked this ? on numerous occasions with the same result from those in the industry and indeed resulting answers is the same as the op states,together with the numerous amounts of thai ladies you see using nasal sniffers,which again is to clear the head.

I use a nasal sniffer to prevent dizziness. It works quite well. I have a heart condition which sometimes leaves me dizzy.

Nostrils Point:

Not really trying hard at all, the words just sort of flowed effortlessly. However, I am on the BTS and I have a minor headache so I'll try your advice.

Squeeze hard for at least a couple of minutes. It should leave a red mark if you do it right.

• Like 1

might as well say something useful:

- try pinching their 'nostrils', closing mouth, and swallowing hard - clears your eardrums when changing altitudes while flying

- try pinching nostrils, and holding your breath. For as long as you can hold your breath in this way - you can eat/drink something that tastes bad

- try pinching the bridge of your nose after eating a lot of very cold ( i.e icecream). It seems strangley to aleviate the discomfort. But then, it's the same as the early theory - about the headaches, which means the headache theory has some credence after all.

• Like 1

OP is actually onto something, nothing to do with headaches.

My mother-in-law was constantly squeezing the bridges of my kids noses when they were babies to make them bigger; until I asked her politely to stop it.

It is common practice, and has nothing to do with "making fun of Thai women".

• Like 2

OP is actually onto something, nothing to do with headaches.

My mother-in-law was constantly squeezing the bridges of my kids noses when they were babies to make them bigger; until I asked her politely to stop it.

It is common practice, and has nothing to do with "making fun of Thai women".

My Thai friends mum is doing the same to their baby. They asked me if this is right that it helps give a farang style nose shape. I told them it was complete <deleted> and also it only hurts the kid, as they had told me it often cries when she does it to the baby. I told them it is done to genetics and thats it, unless go to see the plastic doctors

• Like 1

There are many different cultures in Thailand. The past ten years I've never seen or heard of anyone pinching a nose to make it grow. I saw it a lot in Vietnam to stop headaches. What part of Thailand do you folks see this happening?

There are many different cultures in Thailand. The past ten years I've never seen or heard of anyone pinching a nose to make it grow. I saw it a lot in Vietnam to stop headaches. What part of Thailand do you folks see this happening?

Bangkok to Udon. Not sure about in the South.

You make it sound like you know a lot of people. How many women have you observed doing this and were they all Issan or Lao?

You make it sound like you know a lot of people. How many women have you observed doing this and were they all Issan or Lao?

No, I only know a handfull. My Isaan family.

They possibly do it in Laos also, but don't recall seeing it.

I have seen people from Bangkok North doing it to their babies, but I don't know them personally (on the bus, that sort of thing). I certainly didn't walk up and ask where they are from.