Bank fees

akampa

Greed of banks? ,I wanted to deposit some cash into my SCB account no problem I thought i was in Bangkok but my account originates in ChiangMai where I live ,it was not a large amount but still,but the bank wanted to charge me 41 baht to deposit the cash,why you ask it is a in a different province I did not. Is this a fee other banks have?

Banks here can charge you to deposit money, withdraw money from the ATM and even charge for the card every year and they give you practically zero interest to boot. I didn't think much of the banking industry at home, it was just there providing a decent enough service... and then I came here. They are thieves.

It is really terrible, even when you withdraw your own money from saving account inside the bank you have to pay.worse, I sold my condo in Pataya last year and got a bank check from SCB went to deposit to my account in Bangkok ( also SCB) had to pay 7000 THB!! Why because check was from other city and charge is based on % which is in my opinion close to criminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Banks here can charge you to deposit money, withdraw money from the ATM and even charge for the card every year and they give you practically zero interest to boot. I didn't think much of the banking industry at home, it was just there providing a decent enough service... and then I came here. They are thieves.

Actually compared to where I came from a few years ago (USA)

Banks here are quite nice especially for interest on savings....

For example where I am from even now they give 0.15%....yes a 15th of 1 percent

Yet here I get over 2% for a non fixed account & could get 3% if I locked it for a few months

Back home if locked in a CD etc for similar time periods they give a whopping 0.35-0.45% wink.png

Yes they do not charge for deposits back home from anywhere but here it is more of a franchise type banking so

if depositing out of your area they want something but usually less than $1

Withdrawals from any ATM (even other Thai banks) is free (this is with my BK-Bank ATM card)

Same for my yearly ATM card fee which is about $3 not bad since I only have one account with ATM access

The others are just web access for security & that web access is free

I dont mind paying a small fee for some things if in return the bank is giving a good return on savings.

Which again here they give 13-20 times as much return on a savings as compared to back from where we came.

That is sizable & the interest even on my modest accounts here pays for more than a months living expenses for us here

Could never say that back home

Edited by mania

The only time SCB charges me anything (well, other than the annual bank letter and when I need a new ATM card) is when I handle the transaction outside of my home province. Within the home province (Chiangmai), they've never charged me for deposits, withdrawals, or using the ATM card. I recently deposited a check from another Thai bank and there was no charge for doing that.

Like mania, I haven't had any problems. And I currently have my 800k for the retirement account in a 14-month account at 2.8% (more than double what you'd get in the west).

The only time SCB charges me anything (well, other than the annual bank letter and when I need a new ATM card) is when I handle the transaction outside of my home province. Within the home province (Chiangmai), they've never charged me for deposits, withdrawals, or using the ATM card. I recently deposited a check from another Thai bank and there was no charge for doing that.

Like mania, I haven't had any problems. And I currently have my 800k for the retirement account in a 14-month account at 2.8% (more than double what you'd get in the west).

do you pay a charge if you withdraw from your account (SCB) and transfer this amount to another SCB account? If not, I don't understand why they charge me. Same with deposit of bank cheque, I can tell you with 100% certainty I paid 7000 THB fee on a SCB cheque coming from Pataya and deposited on my SCB account in BKK.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The bank fees here are quite reasonable compared to what we paid in the U.S. for similar services. Yes, it was a surprise the see an extra charge the first time we used a Bangkok Bank ATM in Bangkok when our "home" branch is here in Chiang Mai, but oh well, the fee was very small compared with the U.S. Live and learn.

do you pay a charge if you withdraw from your account (SCB) and transfer this amount to another SCB account? If not, I don't understand why they charge me. Same with deposit of bank cheque, I can tell you with 100% certainty I paid 7000 THB fee on a SCB cheque coming from Pataya and deposited on my SCB account in BKK.

I don't do that so really can't answer your question. But I suspect that you're being charged because you're handling transactions between different provinces.

I can say that I often (too often?) transfer money (normally handled online) from my SCB account to the SCB account of my partner and there is no charge for that; however, we both have SCB accounts in the same province.

I've had an accounts with Kasikorn Bank in both C.M. and Bangkok for 8 years now and have never paid a yearly fee for an ATM card. I don't know if some of you know it, but if you bank at K-Bank all you have to to do is use a K-Bank ATM starting 10 days before the expiration date/end of banking year and a message pops up to press continue or something - I forget now, and then a message appears that says "to waive the annual fee" to press yes or enter or whatever and that's it - annual fee waived. I can't remember if it's in English or not. I think if you don't make an ATM transfer or something during that 10 day period you miss out on the offer and get charged.

Yes I also get hit for a small fee when withdrawing cash outside of the Changwat.